User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User doughnutdoney
(newbie) Sat 26-Mar-11 19:58:58
Print Post

Very Slow Download speeds

[link to this post]

Evening everyone,

Ive been a customer of Eclipse Internet for some 8 years and for most of that time Ive been happy with the service. In the good old days I use to get download speeds of up to 2.7 mbps which I was very happy with.

The problems started about a week ago when my connection speeds suddenly dropped (I live 6 miles away from the exchange which means speeds will never be fast here but up to around 2 megs if lucky). I phoned techinical support who were very useful and suggested I should get a new router and filter as that could be the problem. So the next day I got a brand new ADSL2 and filters and its working fine (despite having to spend at least £60) to get it.

At that time I was on a test profile so my download and upload speeds were on average (0.46 and 0.72). I was then told I needed to change my account as was using an old Flexi 1000 one so I had no choice and got Home Starter X (its actually a bit cheaper). Within 48 hrs my profile was regraded and I was going to get speeds of around 1-2megs.

No surprise nothing has changed my whole internet experience is now pretty dissapointing and it takes long time to download anything and I cant watch any videos or newsbroadcasts on the net. A 89meg download for instance takes up to 2 hrs to download (no super fast connections here). I sent another ticket to eclipse and within 2 days they came back saying ive got a connection speed of 2.7mbps but the speedtests ive down the average download speed is 0.1 to 0.7 mbps so still not very happy about this. For the first time in many years im thinking of leaving eclipse as I cant live with these speeds anymore which is a shame as really do like eclipse as they have offered me great service for many years.

Im on an ADSL2 connection which is not wireless.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have contacted technical support again with all the speedtest details

Thanks everyone smile

Please find below latest thinkbroadband result:

Current Speedtest Result
Standard User Sceptic
(experienced) Sat 26-Mar-11 23:12:46
Print Post

Re: Very Slow Download speeds

[re: doughnutdoney] [link to this post]

could you post your router stats and BT speedtest results so we have some information to base advice on.
Standard User doughnutdoney
(newbie) Sat 26-Mar-11 23:32:45
Print Post

[re: Sceptic] [link to this post]

The Router is a NetGearDGN2200 its an ADSL2 connection via a normal BT landline. Its not wireless. If you need me to tell u more stats then let me know.

Tried using BT Speedtest and it only says the max i can get is 2 megs no actual test could be done but you seen other tests to know what speeds im getting.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nuke_me
(committed) Tue 29-Mar-11 07:29:43
Print Post

Think we need to know more information like
Upstream
Downstream
SNR Margin(Upstream)
SNR Margin(Downstream)
Line Attenuation(Upstream)
Line Attenuation(Downstream).

eclipse internet
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Tue 29-Mar-11 13:36:11
Print Post

Hi doughnutdoney,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. My instant reaction is there's probably something physical going on with your line, but we'll need to have a look at the line stats etc.

Would you be able to PM me your account details so I could take a look?

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Juliebtb
(newbie) Mon 16-May-11 20:42:55
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

Hi, i'm new to this forum and i'm posting because we've also been with Eclipse for many years and have just changed to their Business Bronze package and are finding their download speed depressingly slow. We've just been on a website which tests our download speed and compares it with others from our neighbourhood. Our download speed is averaging 0.3 and others range from 11.3 to 3.2 - most are around the 3.5 mark. Is there anything we can do to speed things up a bit? Any help would be appreciated
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 17-May-11 08:00:17
Print Post

[re: Juliebtb] [link to this post]

Post your router stats. See http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Standard User TomC51
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 17:39:47
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I might be able to add a bit more to this.
I've been an Eclipse broadband customer for about 2 years, and their speed has up until recently been excellent (around 6Mbps, which is about as much as the line can handle).
In the week leading up to Easter weekend – approx 18 April 2011 onwards, the ADSL link got progressively slower, until over the Easter weekend it was so slow as to be unusable for anything – no Tech support as it was Easter. On the 26th (first day after Easter) I was going to report it, but everything suddenly speeded up back to normal (all by itself?).
However about 23rd May it slowed down again and it's been slow ever since (still on going on14th June as I write this). I too was asked to change the router, the micro filter, the phone cable etc. by Eclipse Tech Support and was told that the line was working at 7Mbps (which I agree with – more later). Fortunately I have all of those things without having to go out and buy any. So I systematically changed them all over & it made not one bit of difference. I also carried out extensive speed and other diagnostic tests, using several different computers.
The exact symptoms which I experienced have varied a bit over the weeks, but in essence: Web browsing sometimes slow, Email downloading usually slow and sometimes stops. File downloads run at Mbps speed for the first 1MByte or so (which changed to 2MBytes a couple of days ago) then drops back to less than dial up speed i.e. 10-50Kbps - unless the file is being downloaded from a KCom group server. In that case it downloads at full link Mbps speed – EVEN WHEN another download is chugging along at 10-50Kbps, before, during and after the download from the Kcom server. That's how I know that my link and kit this end are fine!
Right now Eclipse Tech Support are trying to blame BT's local exchange (despite the evidence that the link to me is running at, at least 7Mbps).
Why did I lead in with Easter weekend ? Because last night whilst “Googling” I found this http://www.eclipse.net.uk/marketing/includes/hands/c... – the gist of which is that Eclipse were aware of a broadband problem causing slow download speeds, which started on April 18th 2011 and according to that web page still has a status of “Open” (on 14th June 2011). The symptoms described were those which I experienced until the end of Easter & began to experience again about May 23rd. They also sound very similar to those described by doughnutdoney and Juliebtb - right down to speed tests giving around 2-3Mbps with speedchecker.org and 0.1-0.5Mbps with speedtest.net (incidentally I checked speedtest.net's server - it downloaded through the Eclipse route at 0.1 Mbps, whilst simultaneously downloading through another ISP's route at 8Mbps!).
Come on Eclipse, isn't it better to sort these things out, instead of losing customers ?
(isp) Wed 15-Jun-11 15:42:02
Print Post

[re: TomC51] [link to this post]

Hi TomC51,

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I’m sorry to hear you've been having problems. I've got to admit I'll struggle to be able to pass comment on whats happening with your line, as there are a number of reasons why a connection may run slow.

For example, judging from doughnutdoneys comments I believe there may well a physical reason why his speed was running slow.

Would you be able to PM me your account details so I could take a look at your connection?

Thank you for flagging up an issue with our status page. The outage you've linked to should be marked as close. If you view the summery screen that you can access from http://status.eclipse.co.uk you'll see outages marked as closed, but clicking on “view all updates” will show the closed outages to be open. This has been passed onto the right guys to get fixed.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Andy

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Fri 24-Jun-11 13:33:21
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Eclipsestaff:
Thank you for flagging up an issue with our status page. The outage you've linked to should be marked as close. If you view the summery screen that you can access from http://status.eclipse.co.uk you'll see outages marked as closed, but clicking on “view all updates” will show the closed outages to be open. This has been passed onto the right guys to get fixed.

Just to follow up on this.

The above issue has now been resolved.

Thanks again.

Andy

Print Thread

Jump to