User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User silvryn
(regular) Fri 12-Aug-11 03:29:14
Print Post

Terrible slow down

[link to this post]

For about 1.5 to 2 months my line has gone from 1.8MBs/110KBs to 300KBs/100KBs. I've contacted Eclipse support on many occasions and they've been o.k. I've done all their required resets, mtu changes etc etc. I've tested my own end with a LAN tester to make sure the cables and jack plugs were working ok, which they are. My network is a simple one; cat5e cable from PC straight to the modem/router, then rj11 cable to Microfilter faceplate in the NTe5 mastersocket. So my network is separate from the phone line (orange wire disconnected).
And I've found no faults at my end what so ever.

Thomson 546 v6 Firmware 6.2.17.5
Router stats;

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) - 10.0 / 18.0 db
SNR Margin (Up/Down) - 11.0 / 29.5

When the line appears to be working, the SNR Margin is as follows; 6.5/3.5. With these numbers the line becomes very unstable. SNR Margin that is stable is 6.0/6.0.
I also notice the OUPUT Power goes from 12 down to11.5 or 9.5. The last 2 numbers immediately show me there is a problem.
Also the default gateway either starts with 82.153 or 91.84. Are these 2 separate networks. Am I being shoved over to a slower connection because I'm not on a business line?

As this is not an EU fault, and after completing the tests, which I faithfully send in. I'm asked if I want a BT engineer to look at the local exchange. What has that to do with me? I'm paying Eclipse for a connection and as the fault isn't their end (?) or mine. Then they should conclude that it is a fault with BT equipment and therefore Eclipse should call BT to fix the problem.
Can an Eclipse rep get this sorted, otherwise what's the point in having a connection that will do 14Mbs easily. And paying £21 per month, when I could be paying a 3rd of the price for the same speed with another ISP. Granted the customer service/speed with other companies are a joke, but at least I would know that beforehand. Not to say the Eclipse CS is a joke, because it isn't.

Is this an Eclipse problem or a BT problem? Either way, this should have been sorted weeks ago!
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Aug-11 12:38:42
Print Post

Re: Terrible slow down

[re: silvryn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by silvryn:
Also the default gateway either starts with 82.153 or 91.84. Are these 2 separate networks. Am I being shoved over to a slower connection because I'm not on a business line?
Can't comment on the rest of your post but checking my speedtest results and the IP address, it variously starts with 91.84, 82.153 and 91.85 without any difference in speed so I'd guess the IP has nothing to do with speed differences.

I'm getting just over 8Mbps on a 21CN connection, before it went 21CN a few weeks ago the IP addresses were much the same.

Tony
Standard User silvryn
(regular) Fri 12-Aug-11 13:13:01
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Just rang support. They agree that the line has become unstable and that a ticket has been put in for Interleaving to be put on for a month to see if the line will stabilize. Also another SNR reset is going to be used.

The connection was rock solid until I think it was March, when there was a major outage. Since then the connection has been erratic to say the least.
Hopefully the above will help diagnose what is causing the problems.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Aug-11 14:55:33
Print Post

Good, hope it gets sorted. By the way, your profile refers to you being with UK online so I guess it's out of date grin

Tony
Standard User Sceptic
(experienced) Fri 12-Aug-11 16:41:47
Print Post

Just a few ideas.
Have you tried plugging your router into the test socket ? , if so are the stats the same as in the master socket.
also try switching the RJ11 lead. and can you get hold of another router to try, yours may be faulty.
Standard User silvryn
(regular) Mon 15-Aug-11 12:11:46
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Yup, definitely out of date profile tongue Updated laugh
Standard User silvryn
(regular) Sat 05-Nov-11 05:36:17
Print Post

Update....Sorry for being AWOL tongue
Had a BT engineer around about 2 months ago, and he tested the line and found it was unstable. He went outside and found a small box on the outside wall (looked ancient), from which came several wires. He removed those that were no longer in use. Cleaned out the muck that had accumulated over many years. Then went back inside, did more line tests and the line noise was clean and quiet.
Went through a 10 day retraining period and the connection has gone back to 1.8MBs. So after 12 years and many ISPs. A BT engineer comes out, and fixes their equipment and the connection is finally stable.
So I presume I will see pigs fly and a blue moon next......lol

Thanks to Eclipse tech for their help laugh

Edited by silvryn (Sat 05-Nov-11 05:37:26)

Print Thread

Jump to