User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zeb99
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 13:51:52
Print Post

"We're bringing you new technology" farce...

[link to this post]

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Eclipse telling me :

"Were bringing you new technology at no extra cost"

and

"Your broadband line has been selected as part of our continuing upgrade programme to receive BTs latest, industry-leading technology"

Turns out that Eclipse are getting rid of all their Tiscali connections. The only problem is I'm currently syncing at 12.24Mbps and our exchange hasn't been 21CN enabled and there's no date for it to be done.

So quite how Eclipse class migrating from ADSL2+ to ADSLMax to be an upgrade and bringing me new technology is a mystery.

All other Eclipse customers on Tiscali LLU connections be warned.

Neil.

Edited by zeb99 (Thu 18-Aug-11 13:57:21)

Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 10:44:24
Print Post

Re: "We're bringing you new technology" farce...

[re: zeb99] [link to this post]

Not all.

I was on Tiscali LLU and getting around 6.3-6.5meg download. About 1 month ago I was transferred to 21CN and my download is now 8.3-8.5 meg. Why assume that all LLU customers will suffer? I've no idea what the effect will be for others, but I'm certainly not going to assume its gloom and doom for all Eclipse's LLU customers as you imply.

Tony
Standard User zeb99
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 11:06:19
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Tony, I'm glad you saw an improvement. I guess you were lucky that 21CN was available in your area.

My bone of contention with Eclipse is that their e-mail promises new technology and improvements but in my area 21CN isn't currently available and it isn't even listed on the BT Wholesale 21CN spreadsheet.

This means that they're downgrading my connection under the guise of providing a better service!

Needless to say there's going to be an official complaint going in about the number of misleading statements in their e-mail.

Maybe I should have said 'All other Eclipse customers on Tiscali LLU connections beware'. If you base your decision purely on the e-mail then you may get a downgrade, not an upgrade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-11 11:16:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by zeb99:
Maybe I should have said 'All other Eclipse customers on Tiscali LLU connections and who don't have 21CN at their exchange beware'. If you base your decision purely on the e-mail then you may get a downgrade, not an upgrade.
Slight modification smile

Tony
Standard User zeb99
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 12:15:48
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

whichever statement you prefer, people have to check whether 21CN is available or not! Eclipse are not upfront about this.

In my mind, Eclipse should be pointing out to the people who are connected to a non-21CN exchange that it is a downgrade. The e-mail paints a rosy picture which is untrue for some customers (me being one of them).
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:20:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by zeb99:
whichever statement you prefer, people have to check whether 21CN is available or not! Eclipse are not upfront about this.

In my mind, Eclipse should be pointing out to the people who are connected to a non-21CN exchange that it is a downgrade. The e-mail paints a rosy picture which is untrue for some customers (me being one of them).

It also stops people like you flocking like sheep to other providers as hopefully you have no idea how the technology is provided.

There will be plenty of people in your situation blissfully unaware, feeling smug that they're getting an 'upgrade' at no extra cost.
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:39:13
Print Post

Hi zeb99,

Thank you for your feedback about our recent email. I'm sorry that you found the wording misleading - that was never our intention and we have taken your comments on board to help us improve future communications with our customers.

This situation does affect around 30 of our customers - we have worked hard to personally get in touch with them, to discuss ways of improving their service. I'm sorry to hear that we've not been in touch with you about this.

Would you be able to PM me your account details so I can make sure all the options have been made available to you?

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to