User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Aug-11 23:23:56
Print Post

Extra hops in traceroute

[link to this post]

Hi, why is there so many hops within eclipse's network before the traffic hits LINX's network?

e.g.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Router
2 11 ms 12 ms 9 ms 82.152.192.1
3 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 81.5.191.177
4 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 86.54.135.173
5 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms ge1-1-core4.th.eclipse.net.uk [81.5.191.2]
6 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms vl-38.lon-th1cr.spn.kcom.com [86.54.183.249]
7 10 ms 10 ms 12 ms 195.50.122.125

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Router
2 11 ms 9 ms 10 ms 82.152.192.1
3 10 ms 10 ms 12 ms 81.5.191.177
4 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 86.54.135.173
5 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms fe6-17-core4.th.eclipse.net.uk [212.104.128.243]

6 18 ms 15 ms 11 ms vl-7.lon-th2cr.spn.kcom.com [86.54.161.149]
7 12 ms 11 ms 10 ms linx-gw2.ja.net [195.66.226.15]

Not that its causing any problems as can be seen by the latency, but eclipse used to ensure hops remained minimal to bbc and jolt.co.uk.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Aug-11 01:03:25
Print Post

Re: Extra hops in traceroute

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

As Eclipse are now part of the bigger KCom group, they are sat behind AS12390 and AS8897.

It is likely when this happened, they (Eclipse) dropped their Linx peering directly as KCom were already members as Eclipse don't appear on the member list anymore.

This will generally cause routes to appear longer.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Aug-11 10:59:31
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
As Eclipse are now part of the bigger KCom group, they are sat behind AS12390 and AS8897.

It is likely when this happened, they (Eclipse) dropped their Linx peering directly as KCom were already members as Eclipse don't appear on the member list anymore.

This will generally cause routes to appear longer.

Matt

Ah interesting! I hate it when bigger companies buys smaller companies so many unnecessary changes happen

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Aug-11 12:04:19
Print Post

KCOM bought Eclipse in 2004 so it's hardly a recent change wink

Tony
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Aug-11 12:05:31
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
KCOM bought Eclipse in 2004 so it's hardly a recent change wink

Well it wasnt that long ago when eclipse used to peer directly with LINX.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User alcockell
(learned) Mon 22-Aug-11 14:28:02
Print Post

Yeah - also annoying when using my Roberts Stream 83i as well; while I can listen to BBC content easily, and with virtually no packet-loss/reload issues, I also listen to Premier Radio, that uses Limelight's CDN - this peers with LINX.. and therefore is subjec to latency on KCOM's subnet as well.

Maybe a direct peering connection might be an idea - so it's as close logically as the Beeb is?
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Tue 23-Aug-11 18:00:19
Print Post

[re: alcockell] [link to this post]

Hi,

I've had a chat with our Networking guys about this.

I think itís important to focus less on the hop count, but the latency and the bandwidth of the route. In fact, the more up-to-date routing protocols donít use hop count but use other factors such as link bandwidth to pick the best path.

The Eclipse core network (AS12513) is slowly being merged with AS8897 (Kcom) - this allows us to leverage the benefits of both networks and provide the best possible service for you, our customers. Peering was merged back in February 2010 when Eclipse withdrew from LINX.

By merging with AS8897, Eclipse users now have access to routes provided by peering at AMSIX (Amsterdam Internet Exchange) and LoNAP (London Network Access Point), in addition to the peering at LINX. We also have far more robust and extensive private peering and Transit arrangements as part of AS8897 than Eclipse ever had on its own.

All of this does result in an extra hop on your traceroutes (which has a near zero impact on latency) but it also means Eclipse users now have far better routing than previously, via higher bandwidth links.

Hope this clears a few things up.

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User alcockell
(learned) Thu 25-Aug-11 14:50:11
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

Might the consolidation of core subnet have something to do with the slightly more frequent loss of sync and me having to reboot my router a few more times over the last month?

Just that as I've been working from home - I've noticed it a little more often..

Or maybe it's something to do with local noise... sometimes happened at about 1445...
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Wed 31-Aug-11 14:40:24
Print Post

[re: alcockell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alcockell:
Might the consolidation of core subnet have something to do with the slightly more frequent loss of sync and me having to reboot my router a few more times over the last month?

Just that as I've been working from home - I've noticed it a little more often..

Or maybe it's something to do with local noise... sometimes happened at about 1445...

Hi alcockell,

Changes on our internal network, will have no affect on the ADSL synchronisation over your line.

If I was you, I would see if there is anything happening at around the 1445 mark that coincides with your drops in sync.

Please feel free to give me a shout if you do continue to have a problem.

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to