User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User martxw
(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 14:03:25
Print Post

21CN switchover fried filters?

[link to this post]

Hi...
I've had pretty good reliable service from Eclipe - Rx sync around 18Mbps & benchmarking above 16Mbps, loss of sync < once a month, but 3 weeks ago I was switched over to 21CN, and it's gone down the toilet since then.
Eclipse said I could expect up to 10 days of variable speeds & some drops, so I though the regular loss of syncs were them doing the line testing. But after 2 weeks I was still getting resets every 30 minutes, so I was losing 3 minutes every hour, and the speeds were down and variable, between 10 & 3 Mbps, on a downward slope.
Eventually on the spur of the moment I tried a different ADSL filter, and suddenly the disconnections stopped. I've tried through all the filters I have, and it turns out that both the filters that were plugged in have failed. It seems damn suspicious to me that they failed exactly as I went to 21CN! Could they have sent a voltage spike down the line?

Anyway, it looks like all this time the exchange has seen all the drops and adapted my IP profile down from what I was achieving before to 12,000kbps (reported by www.speedtester.bt.com).

I've just taken delivery of new XF-1e Professional ADSL 2+ Microfilters, and things are looking better.

Speedtester shows:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 10958 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :14332 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1276 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 12000 Kbps

The big question is - if I leave the line to stabilize for a few days, can I expect my IP profile to be raised from 12000 towards the 21000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed? Or at least to the 18 Mbps that I had before? Or will I have to raise a complaint against Eclipse?

On the plus side, my Tx sync speed has gone up from 864 to 1276 kbps.

cheers - Mart
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Wed 14-Sep-11 14:48:15
Print Post

Re: 21CN switchover fried filters?

[re: martxw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by martxw:
The big question is - if I leave the line to stabilize for a few days, can I expect my IP profile to be raised from 12000 towards the 21000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed? Or at least to the 18 Mbps that I had before? Or will I have to raise a complaint against Eclipse?

Hi Mart,

Sorry to hear you've been having problems. To be honest with you, this does sound very odd, but at least the problem has been tracked down.

If the sync rate remains higher, then the IP profile should naturally raise to nearly the same level as the sync rate.

Please don't hesitate to either give us a call, or drop me a PM if needed.

Thanks

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User martxw
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 19:44:17
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

Having left the line to settle, the speed tester here's reporting 14.9 Mbps down & 1.1 Mbps up.

speedtester.bt.com reports:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 14764 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :18232 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1279 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 16000 Kbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1061 Kbps

So I'm a bit slower than I recall (~16.4?Mbps down) but I don't actually have any proof as I didn't start saving the speed test results until it's gone wrong. The sync speed is what I remember it being before.

Is there any prospect of the IP profile adapting up any closer to the sync speed, to give me the benchmark speeds I had before?

Otherwise, I think I'm back to having a pretty solid Eclipse service.

cheers...
Mart...

Edited by martxw (Wed 28-Sep-11 19:46:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Mon 03-Oct-11 16:04:42
Print Post

[re: martxw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by martxw:
Your DSL Connection Rate :18232 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1279 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 16000 Kbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1061 Kbps

So I'm a bit slower than I recall (~16.4?Mbps down) but I don't actually have any proof as I didn't start saving the speed test results until it's gone wrong. The sync speed is what I remember it being before.

Is there any prospect of the IP profile adapting up any closer to the sync speed, to give me the benchmark speeds I had before?

Hi Mart,

Sadly I believe the 16000 IP Profile is expected on a line with a 18232k sync.

Please shout if you want me to look into anything further.

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to