User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User softlad
(member) Mon 19-Sep-11 18:50:09
Print Post

Home Fibre

[link to this post]

Does anybody know if the 2 year contract on the new Home Fibre connection would apply to those on a 1 month rolling contract given that a lot of us would not need a new router or an engineer?

2.66 GHz 15" Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.8
Standard User boostar
(member) Tue 20-Sep-11 00:41:14
Print Post

Re: Home Fibre

[re: softlad] [link to this post]

Assuming you mean those on a 1 month rolling fibre contract then no, the 24 month contract is only for new fibre users who want a free installation.

Though I am curious if Eclipse will be putting out of contract fibre customers who make the switch onto new 12 month contracts or leaving them on rolling 30 day ones. Given that there are no costs for Eclipse to recover via an extended contract length (installation charges/migration charges/equipment costs) and those customers will also be out of contract as far as Openreachs standard 12 month contract for a fibre port is concerned, I can't see any valid reason for Eclipse to do this.
Standard User boostar
(member) Tue 20-Sep-11 12:47:17
Print Post

[re: boostar] [link to this post]

Just got in touch with Eclipse and it turns out existing Eclipse Fibre customers can't move over to the new service. I am now in the process of requesting my MAC, seems like Eclipse really dropped the ball on this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User softlad
(member) Tue 20-Sep-11 17:04:28
Print Post

Hi Boostar. No, I meant people like me on a 1 month rolling contract on Home Select or similar. I'm quite willing to pay the extra for a fibre connection but not so willing to tie myself in for 2 years. Given that the cabinet near my house has already been enabled for fibre and I can easily change the settings in my Vigor 120 and Airport myself if need be, I can't see the need for an engineer visit. Unless, of course, it's a lot more complicated than I'm led to believe.

Standard User boostar
(member) Tue 20-Sep-11 17:19:44
Print Post

I see. When you mentioned you had all the equipment, I assumed you meant all the FTTC equipment.

You will unfortunately have to enter into either a 1 or 2 year contract with Eclipse if you don't have FTTC at present although only 2 years if you want the free installation. Currently FTTC is only provided via an engineer install, there is no "wires-only" version as with ADSL. Part of the install cost covers the actual engineer work, some covers the costs of the new faceplate that is installed and the BT Openreach supplied VDSL modem (your Vigor 120 is ADSL and will not work with the FTTC service although you can still use your Airport for routing.)

12 month is the minimum fibre contract at present (it is the contract length the ISP has with BT Openreach, it would be risky to give customers shorter contracts.)
Standard User softlad
(member) Tue 20-Sep-11 18:05:41
Print Post

Aaahh, more complicated than I thought then, thanks Boostar. I'll probably give it a miss for now then.

Standard User softlad
(member) Wed 21-Sep-11 09:14:06
Print Post

Well, what a coincidence. My rock solid 5mb connection went down suddenly last night about 2 hours after I last posted. After tearing my hair out for about 2 hours trying to figure out if it was my end or Eclipses' it suddenly sprang back into life but now 3.5 mb down: funnily enough though my upload had gone from .7 to nearly 1mb. We'll just have to see now how long it takes to get back up to where it was.

ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Wed 21-Sep-11 17:09:56
Print Post

Hi Booster,

Would you be able to PM me your account details, so I could try and get some understanding into wahts going on with this?

Many Thanks

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Wed 21-Sep-11 18:42:37
Print Post

Hi Softlad,

How's it working now?

Andy

eclipse internet - now 15 years old!
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- The Eclipse Referrer Scheme. Recommend Eclipse and earn up to £80!

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User softlad
(member) Thu 22-Sep-11 17:23:02
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

Hi Andy. Sorry, didn't see your post until just now. Speeds are still a bit dire, this from BT tester just now

FAQ

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
2681 Kbps

0 Kbps 4000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2681 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4472 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1163 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3945 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
925 Kbps

0 Kbps 1163 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 925 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1163 Kbps

I haven't bothered with the BT tester since the problems last year, my download and upload speeds have been fine (not that I upload anything really), usually between 4.5 and 5.5 down and about .7 up.
It will probably sort itself out again in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't I'll raise a ticket.

In relation to my original post though, if I regraded to Home Fibre would I be charged the £100 connection fee?

Just an update, downloaded google earth at about 435 KB/sec

Edited by softlad (Thu 22-Sep-11 17:46:41)

Print Thread

Jump to