User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dr_Dave
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 14:32:58
Print Post

Slow connection - old wiring/No NTE5 linebox/1800's house

[link to this post]

I don't know if there are any BT engineers on here or any Eclipse staff who could advise, but my olds have always had a very slow and laggy broadband connection.

The house is an 1800's house with some very suspect-looking wiring coming into the house via this ancient-looking linebox, with what looks like some fuses inside!!

Linebox

Linebox inside

Router stats are reporting the following:-

Down - 1376Kbps
Up - 448 Kbps

Downstream Margin - 12db
Upstream Margin - 22db
Downstream Att - 48
Upstream Att - 29

The house has an overhead cable to a pole which goes directly into one of those green boxes.

I realise we are some 3.5km from the exchange but this sort of speed is ridiculous in this age.

I'm going to have to converse with the ISP on behalf of my olds, but do you think a decent NTE5 linebox etc would improve things? I realise this is a BT-only job.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, esp on the above router stats, as I don't really know how to interpret them.

FWIW, I live 200m down the road and my router reports are as follows:-

Down - 3104Kbps
Up - 448 Kbps

Downstream Margin - 9.4db
Upstream Margin - 19db
Downstream Att - 63
Upstream Att - 29

which gives a half-decent service.

I'm of the thinking we need to get the linebox sorted out, that mess of wires in that linebox is full of spiders and many other items of questionable origin lol We're quite prepared to pay to get this done in order to improve the service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User davejohnson
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 15:18:27
Print Post

Re: Slow connection - old wiring/No NTE5 linebox/1800's hous

[re: Dr_Dave] [link to this post]

Hello Dave

What you appear to have there is an old 'line protector'. They were, I believe, originally fitted with fuses to protect against surge currents. By the time I joined the GPO in 1963, they were no longer used, at least not in Birmingham, where most of the cabling was underground. They may still have been fitted in rural areas, where there is often more overhead cabling

If you had a problem like intermittent noise, the Openreach engineer would probably recover it and fit a new NTE at the same time, FOC.

With a new NTE fitted, you can then go through the process of faulting your internal wiring if neccessary.

Cheers

Dave
Standard User Dr_Dave
(newbie) Sat 31-Dec-11 18:01:41
Print Post

[re: davejohnson] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the reply Dave, much appreciated.

I'll be getting onto BT as soon as the holidays are over. I'll be sure to update the thread as and when. Never know, it might help someone else in the future!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Tue 03-Jan-12 12:00:55
Print Post

[re: Dr_Dave] [link to this post]

Hi Dr_Dave,

I agree that there does look like there's something going on there, and I think davejohnson could well be onto something.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with Technical Support, if you'd like us to take a closer look at it from our side of things.

Andy

eclipse internet
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- Eclipse Knowledge Base

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to