User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alcockell
(learned) Fri 27-Jan-12 15:48:41
Print Post

Quick headsup re legal streaming from Lovefilm and Netflix

[link to this post]

To Eclipse bods monitoring this - I've been onto Customer Services, but thought I'd suggest it directly.

You're probably going to see a lot of people signing up to LoveFilm and NetFlix for their streaming services... I did a bit of digging, and found out they both use Amazon''s CDN..

I also found out off your helpdesk that you haven't go ta direct peering/edge connection with them in the way you have with the Beeb.

Might it be an idea to open negotiations now before the rush, so to speak.. and it'll lighten the load on your LINX connections etc.

Oh - maybe do the same with Limelight.. bring them sirectly onto your infrastructure as well (Premier Radio use Limelight)...

Just that video streaming is a *little* data-heavy...
Standard User Going_Digital
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Jan-12 10:40:47
Print Post

Re: Quick headsup re legal streaming from Lovefilm and Netfl

[re: alcockell] [link to this post]

I wouldn't bother with lovefilm to be honest they are likely to be out of business by the end of the year Netflix is going to kill them.

Lovefilm streaming selection is very poor and the quality is so bad that I have seen better quality from early 1990s youtube clips than some of the films available on lovefilm.

adslnation - The Broadband Experts.
http://www.adslnation.com
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Mon 30-Jan-12 13:12:22
Print Post

[re: Going_Digital] [link to this post]

The Gadget Show did a review on various film providers. I can't remember the outcome but I'm sure their website will still have the video available.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Thu 02-Feb-12 13:15:26
Print Post

Hi Alcockell,

Thanks for your comments, I will pass your concerns on, but please be assured that we are more than aware of Netflix being launched - and the increase in popularity of video streaming in general.

On that note... Which do you prefer? Netflix or Lovefilm?

Andy

eclipse internet
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- Eclipse Knowledge Base

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User alcockell
(learned) Thu 02-Feb-12 17:38:23
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

I haven't signed up to either - owing partly to their dumping Flash and going with Silverlight. Will mean an appliance under the telly as most of my laptops run Linux (at least the ones with decent stereo do).

However, I wouldn't be impressed if it constantly stuttered.

It's more the situation with them both using Amazon's CDN = quick win for you if you get some of their edge kit into your datacentres in the same way you do with the beeb...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:52:11
Print Post

Netflix on Xbox copes very well at peak times, and even got a decent film playing on a hotels wifi that had been hit and miss for web browsing.

The buffering seems very reactive to bandwidth changes, rather than stopping dead like LoveFilm. Also the bit rate is a lot higher than love film, better than freeview, more like DVD. Rather than LoveFilm that looks only passable on a big tv

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to