User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Marc_linux
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 17:39:49
Print Post

My Mum's migrating, can she keep here pop3 ?

[link to this post]

Hi Eclipsers, Thanks tech support, for the great help on the fone earlier. you were great.

Question: My Mum is also with Eclipse, has been for 4 years or so, and she's made extensive use of
her POP3 Eclipse email .. i set her a couple of webmail's up too now, but she was told that she
could still get her POP3 email off of Eclipse's servers *after* she has migrated snd is with another ISP ..
i said i doubt it, but i shall ask Eclipse Internet for her.
I know there is Eclipse webmail, but how long - if at all, could she continue to use here POP3 ?
there seems to be no definitive answer i can see, so i thought i'd ask Eclipse smile

Thanks.

Marc
Standard User pete_boardman
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 18:32:55
Print Post

Re: My Mum's migrating, can she keep here pop3 ?

[re: Marc_linux] [link to this post]

It sounds unlikely that she'd be able to continue to receive emails after closing her account. Wouldn't the account, and its accompanying features such as email storage (whether accessed via web, pop or imap) be closed and/or deleted from the system once she stops paying? Perhaps they could add another product to their catalog: an email forwarding service, x pounds for x months...
Standard User Marc_linux
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 23:30:31
Print Post

[re: pete_boardman] [link to this post]

Thats a good idea actually Pete, Yes, Eclipse have wrote back and confirmed that the email account will disappear after the account is closed. and i completely understand .. but try explaining that to your 72 year old Mum, and when your Brother's still getting his BT mail, a year or two after he left 'em. .. tricky one - i'm sure she thinks i'm just being pedantic, but thats why i set up other webmails for her a few years earlier !

Mark

Edited by Marc_linux (Tue 14-Feb-12 23:32:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Feb-12 15:15:55
Print Post

[re: Marc_linux] [link to this post]

IIRC she could switch to a dialup service with eclipse and then retain the email address. That would cost a few quid a month though.

If the email address is so important that needs to be weighed into the decision-making to migrate away.
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 01-Apr-12 15:42:07
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

If e-mail is important its best to separate it from your ISP.

You can get hosted e-mail from about 11 quid a year and a .co.uk domain from around £2.95 or free with some providers.

That way you never lose it and can move between ISPs as much as you want.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User packetman
(member) Thu 03-May-12 16:51:23
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Just seen this thread, and to mention that I was with Eclipse ADSL briefly in 2006. I cancelled, but my e-mail address still works now!
  Print Thread

Jump to