User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bigchief
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:22:07
Print Post

Migration charges

[link to this post]

We've recently decided to move our account from eclipse to sky in an effort to save some money due to a new arrival in the family. After speaking to both eclipse and sky about the move I was assured that there would be no termination charge and the account would close when the bb moved to the new provider so long as a mac code was used.

I've confirmed with sky that the mac code was indeed used (on the 14th) and the bb successfully moved to sky as of yesterday. The line rental is also moving to sky (part of their new policy) but has yet to go and will not be transferred until the end of the month.

We received an email from eclipse today stating that their provider has issued a termination of bb due to one of a number of possible reasons, most likely of which being that the line has been terminated with bt. As such they will terminate our account as of the 22nd but still charge us for a 30 day period afterwards and are passing on the £25 +vat charge that they receive. Given that our bb has moved with the use of a mac code prior to the actual phone line being moved over, should either of these charges actually apply? (it's basically a £50 charge for moving to a new provider which to me is total rubbish)
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Feb-12 22:34:07
Print Post

Re: Migration charges

[re: Bigchief] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bigchief:
We've recently decided to move our account from eclipse to sky in an effort to save some money due to a new arrival in the family. After speaking to both eclipse and sky about the move I was assured that there would be no termination charge and the account would close when the bb moved to the new provider so long as a mac code was used.

I've confirmed with sky that the mac code was indeed used (on the 14th) and the bb successfully moved to sky as of yesterday. The line rental is also moving to sky (part of their new policy) but has yet to go and will not be transferred until the end of the month.

We received an email from eclipse today stating that their provider has issued a termination of bb due to one of a number of possible reasons, most likely of which being that the line has been terminated with bt. As such they will terminate our account as of the 22nd but still charge us for a 30 day period afterwards and are passing on the £25 +vat charge that they receive. Given that our bb has moved with the use of a mac code prior to the actual phone line being moved over, should either of these charges actually apply? (it's basically a £50 charge for moving to a new provider which to me is total rubbish)
the extra charge will be a cease charge bt openreach would have made , probably because a valid MAC code was not used by SKY,
Sky because they now only provide full llu bb& phone to new customers don't use the MAC code system as Full LLU( FMPF ) is not covered by the normal MAC process , did you obtain a valid MAC from Eclipse and give that to Sky at the time you signed up ? if you Where given a MAC and supplied to to sky , it would sound like sky have not used it , so chase up sky on that part, as for the 30 days that will be the mandatory 30 days notice period that almost every isp will charge for ,so you will have to swallow that one

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 23-Feb-12 22:37:51)

Standard User Bigchief
(newbie) Thu 23-Feb-12 23:15:15
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Yeah, as I said in my original post I've phoned sky and they have confirmed that they used the mac code (my order couldn't be processed without it). It was one given to me by eclipse.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Feb-12 23:39:26
Print Post

Unfortunately, Sky may claim this but as they only offer fully unbundled services (broadband), they CANNOT use the MAC.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Thu 23-Feb-12 23:39:46)

ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Fri 24-Feb-12 16:16:21
Print Post

Hi Bigchief,

It does sound like the line rental move may well have ceased the line itself.

Please feel free to PM me your account details if you'd like me to look into anything further for you.

Andy

eclipse internet
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- Eclipse Knowledge Base

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Babylon5
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 18:28:55
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Unfortunately, Sky may claim this but as they only offer fully unbundled services (broadband), they CANNOT use the MAC.

Matt

Really?? Last time I looked, Sky could and did offer ADSL services in "non Sky" areas (i.e. where they had not unbundled the exchange) trhough their "Broadband Connect" service. See here.

Mike
--
ZeN 8000 Active | Zyxel P660HW Router | Speedtest
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that it has never tried to contact us"
smile
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-12 18:31:15
Print Post

[re: Babylon5] [link to this post]

Sorry, bit confusing on my part, it was more than when they can, they only offer fully unbundled services - but was directed to the OP who was/is MPF.

I.e if they have their kit in the exchange, they won't offer SMPF, only MPF, which means they cannot use the MAC.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
  Print Thread

Jump to