User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iainc2
(newbie) Tue 08-May-12 19:05:21
Print Post

No connection on new FTTC

[link to this post]

I have recently migrated from Orange ADSL to Eclipse FTTC. It has been six days since BT installed the FTTC and I have never managed to get a connection.

Eclipse can see that my modem has sync. I have tried my own account, an Eclipse test account and bt_test. I have tried configuring PPPoE from the router supplied by Eclipse. I have also tried a dial-up PPPoE connection from a PC connected directly to the BT VDSL modem. A second BT engineer spent 1.5 hours here on Saturday, running diagnostics and checking the cabinet, replacing the modem, etc. Eclipse tech support seem competent (light years better than Orange) but they donít know what is wrong and have referred the problem back to BT again.

Eclipse says thereís nothing wrong; BT says thereís nothing wrong. No one knows. Is this a common problem when BT isnít the provider?

Is there anything else that I can try myself? I see that I can unlock my modem (Huawei Echolife HG612) and get access to the stats etc. Iím not sure that this will help and I would prefer not to change its firmware until after it works for the first time.

-Iain
Standard User Scusting
(newbie) Tue 08-May-12 23:42:01
Print Post

Re: No connection on new FTTC

[re: iainc2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iainc2:
A second BT engineer spent 1.5 hours here on Saturday, running diagnostics and checking the cabinet, replacing the modem, etc.

Eclipse says thereís nothing wrong; BT says thereís nothing wrong.

Could the BT engineer get a connection using an Eclipse login or a BT login? If he couldnt get connected then the fault would have to lie with BT as they should try using various BT test logins that will eliminate the Eclipse part of the equation.
Standard User iainc2
(newbie) Wed 09-May-12 10:05:45
Print Post

[re: Scusting] [link to this post]

The BT engineer said that he could not test PPP himself because I am provisioned by Eclipse. I'm not sure I believe that. I have tried the bt_test account myself many times.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Wed 09-May-12 14:39:22
Print Post

Hi Iainc2,

What the Engineer said is basically correct, BT Openreach engineers don't usually test with any ISP login details simply because they cannot be sure the details themselves are correct, so a PPP failure with ISP details doesn't necessarily prove anything during the site visit.

As already stated in this thread - if the bt_test@startup_domain username fails then the fault is either with the BT network or with the hardware. You've already proved that the issue is not hardware related via the PPPoE dialer, which is why BT are on the case.

I wouldn't recommend flashing the firmware on the modem as the device does remain the property of BT , and in this instance is unlikely to do anything to help resolve the fault you're experiencing anyway.

I've located your Fault ticket, and will keep an eye on the case for you.

-Will

eclipse internet
- Eclipse Line Rental - Now available to existing customers.
- Eclipse Knowledge Base

Eclipse Website | Twitter
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User lmschuffer
(newbie) Sun 23-Sep-12 19:39:09
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

Can anybody please confirm 100% that the bt_test@startup_domain test user works on Fibre ?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Sep-12 21:02:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Eclipsestaff:
I wouldn't recommend flashing the firmware on the modem as the device does remain the property of BT
No it doesn't.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sun 23-Sep-12 21:56:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I wouldn't recommend flashing the firmware on the modem as the device does remain the property of BT
No it doesn't.

The VDSL Modem remains the property of Openreach. It is part of the NTE.

BT Infinity #2 - 8.7MBps via P2P ¦ Full 80/20 Sync ¦
BT / Openreach - You've finally done well. Very well indeed.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:29:43
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:
The VDSL Modem remains the property of Openreach. It is part of the NTE.

Correct, but Openreach is not the same as "BT" which normally means BT Retail, and if you had BT Infinity, the "BT Equipment" would be the HomeHub which is given to the end user.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:31:37
Print Post

-Will

Probably worth using consistent terminology, and basically "drop" the letters "BT" when you mean Openreach. Exactly as the Openreach logo has done.

So the Openreach engineer is unable to test the login, which makes sense as Openreach are the supplier to Eclipse. No "BT" Retail in the loop at all.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Sep-12 23:52:43
Print Post

Probably a stupid question, and I expect the engineer checked it, but you are connecting to LAN1 on the modem not LAN2 I presume?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to