User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrpaperclip
(newbie) Wed 01-Aug-12 20:42:49
Print Post

Eclipse promised 40M but delivered only 0.5M

[link to this post]

I'm trying to find out if the terrible problems Eclipse are causing us is their general MO or if we are unlucky.

I have a four line bonded service that in the middle of the night will deliver the promised 40M download speed.

During the day it will regularly fall to below 2M and today it hit an all-time low that was so bad google took 8 seconds to load. They do not seem to care at all and this problem has gone on now for many months.

I hear the support is good but after so long and still no resolution its hasnít been the case for us.
Standard User lmartin
(member) Thu 02-Aug-12 14:49:42
Print Post

Re: Eclipse promised 40M but delivered only 0.5M

[re: mrpaperclip] [link to this post]

Oh, I am so glad it's not just me.

Had 3 line bonded for a few weeks now. Pretty good at first although the most I got out of the 3 lines was around 20Mb even though they all sync at 10Mb each+. Tempted to add the 4th but not sure what it will add if 3 x 10Mb lines is only giving me 20Mb but still.

This week in particular has been terrible though. Doesn't look as though Eclipse have remotely enough capacity to cope with what I assume is people watching the Olympics at work. Like you, at 9am its fine and through the night too. But that's no good to us and we went for bonded not just for reliability but because we have a remote VoIP system we all connect to.

My home connection with Plusnet appears fine, but Packet Loss on each of the 3 nodes and then the bonded connection all through the day.

Node 1 :- http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/c2d197e8311...

Node 2 :- http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/91ea2a2ec7f...

Node 3 :- http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/1fb4e812c83...

Bonded Tunnel :- http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f782d929be6...
(newbie) Thu 02-Aug-12 19:38:17
Print Post

[re: lmartin] [link to this post]

I did get a call today telling me they do have some immediate problems they are dealing with. I will give them the benefit of the doubt but in truth after so many calls I really do not expect any resolution.

Your position does sound the same as us with my lines also connected at 10M but also being totally incapable of delivering VOIP during office hours Ė which is a primary reason for it (remote workers). I must have reported this 20-30 times so putting it all in context itís the worst IT experience of my entire life and Iíve been in corporate IT over 30 years.

We now have a second bonded service (three lines) and it runs at a steady 22M day in day out. If I run a speed test on that the graph is flat at 100% as expected - somthing I have never seen in the 8 odd months of Eclipse.

I would hold off on the 4th because they get aggressive if you talk about leaving them before your term is up Ė regardless of the problems you face.

Good luck

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lmartin
(member) Thu 02-Aug-12 20:24:04
Print Post

I was promised that the situation would be resolved within 48 hours. That was yesterday afternoon so by end of play tomorrow I expect it to be up and running.

Who's your other Bonded with?
(newbie) Thu 02-Aug-12 20:26:53
Print Post

[re: lmartin] [link to this post]

just off for a beer, will post all the details tomorrow smile
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Fri 03-Aug-12 10:56:39
Print Post

Iím sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

We have isolated performance issues impacting a small number of customers on our network, which our engineers are working on resolving as quickly as possible. The next update from the team working on the case is due at 5pm today. I will update this thread once I have that update.

I do understand your frustrations and would like to apologise for the inconvenience this is causing you both.

If you would like to speak to someone about this matter further please PM me your contact details and I will arrange for someone to give you a call.

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Fri 03-Aug-12 12:06:25
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

I do appreciate that Eclipse are working on a problem and accept it may well be resolved shortly. But I have had serious service issues since installation 5 months ago.

Repeatedly Iím told my download speed is a perfect 10M on each line but the truth is since going to Eclipse and bonding 4 lines we have less usable bandwidth that the single 10M ZEN line we had prior.

The impact on our business has been substantial for example we have had to abandon remote working plans entirely and our investment in a VOIP exchange system wasted. This was to cater for business growth Ė it could not have been more damaging.

I spoke with Chris (Eclipse Support) about this and he has promised to look at it but how long are we expected to have to suffer?

We now have a second bonded service in place provided by Swains PLC and the difference is unbelievable, almost a perfect flat line at 100% every single day, not even a blip.

If Eclipse fixes this problem we will happily keep both but Iím sorry to say I have little faith that will happen. The most likely outcome will be for me to be forced into terminating the Eclipse service, no doubt leading to even more hassle.
(isp) Fri 03-Aug-12 15:01:43
Print Post

From looking at the notes on your case it is apparent that the issue you have been suffering is likely to be down to an underlying problem with your service, and not the issue that we are currently working to resolve.

The problem we have is you may (or may not) be affected by the current issue as well, which means that diagnostic tests and work carried out before this is resolved wonít help us with the fault investigation at all.

Chris currently 'owns' your case, and both Chris and his manager are aware of the case, the length of time it has been on-going and this thread. As soon as we are happy that the current issues are fully resolved we can work on resolving any remaining problems with your service as quickly and pain-free as possible.

Edited by Eclipsestaff (Fri 03-Aug-12 15:02:51)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User lmartin
(member) Fri 03-Aug-12 16:32:54
Print Post

Is the current problem not simply down to a lack of capacity somewhere? I used to work for Plusnet, I am not stupid - right now I feel like I'm being fobbed off a tad by CS.

Earlier today I had a ticket reply saying that the issue was resolved and all should be fine. It wasn't. I replied and just had a reply to that saying actually it wasn't fixed and you have no idea when it would be.

What is the point of bonded if it doesn't even deliver half the throughput as a single line?

My guess is this. Eclipse have a high proportion of business customers. 'Typical' business hours are 9-5. Lots of people are now watching the Olympics from work meaning throughput through your network is higher than usual. This is exposing capacity issues somewhere along the line. I'm not saying this is your broadband network as a whole, perhaps it's the bonded aggregation servers under strain?

To the OP... if it ends up being the case that I have to terminate my service and switch back to what I had before (WAN Load Balancing across 2 lines) then Eclipse can see me in court if they think they can hold me to my minimum term. Pretty sure this service is not living up to its description right now.
(isp) Fri 03-Aug-12 17:17:34
Print Post

Some work was completed earlier today which we believed would resolve the problem however, it is clear that some customers are still experiencing performance problems.

Our engineers are continuing to work on the issue to resolve it as soon as possible. I will arrange for a manager to contact you this evening.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to