User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Sat 10-Nov-12 00:41:35
Print Post

Paying for months retrospectivly?

[link to this post]

I always had the idea that when I signed up for eclipse I paid them £15 for the first month and then so on always paying for the next month in advance.

Their code of practice says they bill you in advance and the bills said "1 month in advance".

However on leaving I was suprised to be told I still owed them for the previous months internet. When I looked at my bills more carefully they said for the november 2nd bill;

1 month in advance from 02-Oct-12 to 02-Nov-12.

So yes it appeared that despite saying "in advance" they then had the dates written backwards? I thought this must be a mistake in writing the bills but when I queried it I was told no the "in advance" did not mean in advance and so I had to pay up...

The paranoid part of me still wonders if they have just misworded their bills and are now happily assuming they are right. But they may well be right and perhaps I did owe them. But if so its a really confusing way to operate!

So be carefull I thought I was half a month in credit when I left, but no I was month in debt.
ISP Representative Eclipsestaff
(isp) Mon 12-Nov-12 10:39:54
Print Post

Re: Paying for months retrospectivly?

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

Can you PM me your account details (Broadband phone number will do) so I can look into this for you?

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:11:22
Print Post

[re: Eclipsestaff] [link to this post]

Well they called me up. They were very proactive and friendly in making sure I understood my invoices and why I started out paying one month in advance but finished paying one month behind.

The explanation comes out something like this;

I started out paying a month in advance five years ago. At some point (presumably when I payed £15 to become adsl max) my line was regraded and my billing period changed but not my billing date, I should have recieved a credit for the payment I had already made for that month, and the days I paid for and my billing date came askew, out of sync slightly.

The fact my bills became exactly one month askew is apparently a rare and unfortunate coincidence. It could have been just a few days askew, mine just happened to be exactly one month....Thus they say putting "in advance" on the bill makes sense for most customers, its just a random accident that my bills ended up exactly the opposite.

So there we go. They were certainly proactive and friendly about assuaging my confusion.

If there is a moral I guess it is read your bills all the way though, what starts in "advance payment from nov 2nd" may well end in "to october the 2nd". That and life is a confusing place. After five years it does not make a huge difference either way so onwards.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Nov-12 18:07:58
Print Post

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. A useful lesson for us all.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to