User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jtevans
(member) Sun 14-Jul-13 10:58:06
Print Post

broadband outage

[link to this post]

My line went down at 03:08 and has not come back. No help at eclipse all faults cleared according to status. Office closed. Time for a change perhaps.

Jim Evans
Cheshire
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-13 12:21:24
Print Post

Re: broadband outage

[re: jtevans] [link to this post]

Working fine here on the Hulme Hall exchange.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User jtevans
(member) Sun 14-Jul-13 13:50:06
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Thanks Tony,

Service was restored at 12:46. My concern was I had a solid ADSL connection to the (Chelford) exchange at my normal speed (nearly 7Mbps) but no login to Eclipse.

Previous posting was sent from my phone over GPRS (!) very slowly! Spent 2 hours today trying to get a connection, to find out Eclipse status online with phone and set up a ticket. Life is too short to waste it that way.

Reason for downtime and restoration is unclear. Router log shows six disconnects and reconnects between 20:22 and 23:59 last night. I lost the later log detail when I rebooted the router but it failed to login at 03:08 and would not do so again. Normally it runs for weeks without a reconnect. Eclipse status page shows they were doing work on BB overnight last night.

My router is unusual as it does VOIP. I did find a config parameter unset which may have caused the failure to reconnect automatically. I have been with Eclipse for nearly 10 years and had very few problems like this.

Jim Evans
Cheshire

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 14-Jul-13 14:36:17
Print Post

Sounds like it could have been an authentication or routing issue somewhere or it could be as a result of BT work which Eclipse have no control over.

These things happen with every service and ADSL is not sold as having 100% uptime, if you need that a leased line might be better but you'll need deep pockets.

If you've had very few issues with them I would cut them some slack on this one.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User bit_bucket
(newbie) Sun 14-Jul-13 15:45:29
Print Post

Hi Jim,

Our Eclipse connection, which is normally as solid as a proverbial rock, has been all over the place since yesterday.
PPP sessions abending randomly - though, like you, no loss of sync with the exchange (Dartford).
When it does manage to reconnect, there is heavy packet loss.

We are fortunate in having a second ADSL connection, with Zen, which hasn't shown any problems at all.

Cheers,
Lizzie

Lizzie
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jul-13 12:26:10
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Agree, 10 years without many big issues and the OP wants to look elsewhere. Some people are never satisfied.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
  Print Thread

Jump to