User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-May-14 10:24:00
Print Post

Is there a training period for new lines?

[link to this post]

..I ask because my employer has just gone live and we are only seeing 35/15 despite the line length probably being barely more than 100 metres. I know that BT's systems don't have a training period but some ISPs have been known to implement their own profiling system. Is that what's going on here? It jumped up from 25/15 overnight but if it's going up in 10Mb/s increments it's going to take nearly a week to get to full speed.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User AndrewW
(member) Fri 02-May-14 19:28:25
Print Post

Re: Is there a training period for new lines?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
..I ask because my employer has just gone live and we are only seeing 35/15 despite the line length probably being barely more than 100 metres. I know that BT's systems don't have a training period but some ISPs have been known to implement their own profiling system. Is that what's going on here? It jumped up from 25/15 overnight but if it's going up in 10Mb/s increments it's going to take nearly a week to get to full speed.

See this post by Yarwel
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/3956973-fttc-...

Pipex(dial up => adsl) => Nildram => Zen

Visit my IT Blog Lets Blog about IT
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 08:24:26
Print Post

[re: AndrewW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndrewW:
In reply to a post by Andrue:

See this post by Yarwel
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/3956973-fttc-...
Yes I know that. See the text I've highlighted above from my original post.

My point is that both PlusNet and Sky have their own systems and in Sky's case it's known to start low then ramp up. I was wondering if perhaps Eclipse is the same thing or were providing a service via Sky's wholesale product.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 03-May-14 08:25:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-May-14 14:41:27
Print Post

With FTTC there is no ISP side training systems, Openreach is in control of the line port and ISP can only pick one of three different profiles see http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5929-reminder-abo...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-May-14 08:24:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
With FTTC there is no ISP side training systems, Openreach is in control of the line port and ISP can only pick one of three different profiles see http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5929-reminder-abo...
Okay. Guess we might have to raise a complaint/fault with Eclipse then. We seem to be getting less than half the downstream estimate and 35/15 when you're 100m from a cab is pretty silly.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Tue 06-May-14 08:39:00
Print Post

What do your estimates say here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 06-May-14 08:45:47
Print Post

Can you see the line stats - band plan, attenuation, snr margin?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-May-14 08:51:04
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
What do your estimates say here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
TTC Range A (Clean) 80 79.9 20 19.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 71.3 20 17.9 -- Available

Not got access to the stats yet. I have to persuade our IT bod to unlock the modem.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-May-14 08:57:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I've worked out how to get the advanced diagnostics from BT's checker (I'm in a remote office) and I think I need to get our IT guy to investigate:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 60 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
1.05 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.05Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

I could only run the test from a VM so ignore the really bad speed. But the profile suggests there's nothing wrong with the line. It's either the ISP, the exchange or the router he's using. Shouldn't be the latter though because I think he's gone with the router Eclipse sent.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Jul-14 13:27:34
Print Post

used to be with eclipse a long time ago, they routinely dropped my connection to 50kbps on weekends and told me that the service was upto 8 mb

then they had a fire in their server room and got the full 8 mb connection, fire put out and the speed slowly dropped... asked for the mac the next day

your connection looks to be throttled and will stay throttled until the isp is changed

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to