User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SpooRancher
(newbie) Sun 04-May-14 12:37:11
Print Post

Poor FTTC throughput due to Eclipse being very busy

[link to this post]

I've been having a long-running discussion with Eclipse technical support about poor performance on my FTTC line.

The line profile gives me about 20 Mbit/s (I'm a long way from a cab on very poor underground cabling). For a lot of the time it's fine - I can do a download and get 20 Mbit/s from it.

But at times - never at weekends, often in business hours and after 9pm (when folk start streaming HD television?) - the speed for any individual stream drops, and often I get only 2 - 3 Mbit/s. I can do lots of things in parallel and still get the line to fill up at 20 Mbit/s.

After a lot of poking around, Eclipse have now admitted that the slowdown is due to their network being very busy, and they have no plans to improve this.

It's very disappointing that they can't even keep an FTTC connection running at more than poor-ADSL speed, in my view. I guess I'll be looking for an ISP with more capacity.

Alan
Standard User mrchod
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 21:21:11
Print Post

Re: Poor FTTC throughput due to Eclipse being very busy

[re: SpooRancher] [link to this post]

I noticed something similar so did some tests and contacted support. I also noticed they added some new stuff to the control panel about the time my speed dropped off. I suspected they'd introduced some traffic shaping and sure enough they have.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/eclipse/t/4365457-r...
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 22:35:01
Print Post

[re: mrchod] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrchod:
I noticed something similar so did some tests and contacted support. I also noticed they added some new stuff to the control panel about the time my speed dropped off. I suspected they'd introduced some traffic shaping and sure enough they have.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/eclipse/t/4365457-r...

Thanks for that! They've removed all the stuff they had online about speed guarantees, too - they sounded very embarrassed when I raised that with them.

Now they've moved to business-only, it looks like their domestic customers will get severely throttled. I've had around 2 megabit/s per port for most of today.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 22:54:01
Print Post

That's interesting, I still hope to get FTTC soon, what part of the country are you.?
(newbie) Mon 20-Oct-14 22:59:51
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by APTMAN:
That's interesting, I still hope to get FTTC soon, what part of the country are you.?

Lancaster.

I'm going to move to AAISP sometime - they're (very) expensive, but offer a 6-month contract and have a good reputation for taking on BT over faulty lines and congested exchanges (although the very small print in their T&C indicates that FTTC is a "take it or leave it" deal and they won't do anything with BT for it). Hopefully after 6 months things might be sorted and I can jump to someone line Plusnet offering much more for much less.

I have asked Eclipse specifically if what I'm getting was geographical, or in my exchange, or whether all their FTTC customers had the same rubbish service. They wouldn't answer.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Oct-14 23:31:24
Print Post

I've not noticed any degradation, just done a speed test and still the same speed. I'm not on FTTC so whether there's a difference with that I don't know.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Oct-14 23:48:51
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Our speedtest or another?

Probably only ours that will pick up this sort of thing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Oct-14 08:31:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

tbb speed test ran fine, my BB is as consistent reliable as ever with no significant speed changes for several years. Indeed I rarely run a speed test, it gets boring and anyway, why clog the internet with speed tests.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
(newbie) Tue 21-Oct-14 09:20:38
Print Post

[re: mrchod] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrchod:
I suspected they'd introduced some traffic shaping and sure enough they have.

Interesting observation today with the tbb tester,

0858: TBBx1 steady at 19Mbit/s, HTTPx6 steady at 19Mbit/s
0910: TBBx1 varying wildly around 5Mbit/s, HTTPx6 varying and peaking at 19Mbit/s

If that's not thottling domestic customers as soon as the business day starts then I don't know what is
  Print Thread

Jump to