User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BuckyOHare
(newbie) Thu 09-Oct-14 14:26:48
Print Post

Eclipse Business only ISP now

[link to this post]

Its seems that Eclipse has changed into a Business only provider. They have on the website a page saying they will be continuing to support their current residential customers. It has to be because they can no longer compete with the Sky, British Telecom, Virgin Media etc. in the residential market.

Eclipse Lightspeed Fibre
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 21:50:19
Print Post

Re: Eclipse Business only ISP now

[re: BuckyOHare] [link to this post]

Very sad. I've been with them since August 2003 and had good service with only a couple of niggles. Not cheap but >99.99% solidly reliable. In March 2013 I asked for a MAC as I'd decided they were seriously too expensive but after some negotiation their retentions team offered me a 2-year deal that was most acceptable.

I wonder what they'll do next year when the 2 years is up. I'd prefer to stay, but if they won't give me a deal at least as good as the present one then I'll have to decide what to do frown

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Fri 10-Oct-14 00:36:59
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Very sad. I've been with them since August 2003 and had good service with only a couple of niggles. Not cheap but >99.99% solidly reliable. In March 2013 I asked for a MAC as I'd decided they were seriously too expensive but after some negotiation their retentions team offered me a 2-year deal that was most acceptable.

I wonder what they'll do next year when the 2 years is up. I'd prefer to stay, but if they won't give me a deal at least as good as the present one then I'll have to decide what to do frown

+!
I'm in the same boat, I also did what you did and got a good deal but if we ever get FTTC I was going on there home fibre product, but it looks like that's gone.
Sad times.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 08:15:51
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

Our exchange and my cabinet is FTTC but as the cab to exchange distance is less than half the cab to my home distance, the benefit would be relatively small, perhaps a max of 12Mbps compared to around 9Mbps and as I don't stream or watch virtually nothing on-line I see no need for fibre.

Tony
Standard User Suzi
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Oct-14 11:15:52
Print Post

They didn't even let us know. This is the first I've heard of it. Thanks for posting about it though, BuckyOHare. Better to read it here than to see their new business friendly website.

I'm gutted, to be honest. I intended to get fibre with them at some point, but it looks like that won't be happening now. I think my contract runs out in November. at which point I'll have to figure out where to go. I'd prefer to jump ship myself than eventually end up being pushed.

Such a shame though. As cheshire_man said, they were reliable even if they were on the pricey side. I guess it's time to read up on what the other ISPs are like. frown
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 12:45:45
Print Post

[re: Suzi] [link to this post]

The only reason I can think of for them not informing their domestic users is that want to try to imply that nothing has changed, that they will continue to offer exactly the same service etc. as they have in the past. Perhaps they saw it as a case of heads they lose, tails we win.

Whether or not that is the case it still seems insensitive not to tell their home users and is liable to cause more concern than giving them a categoric assurance.

Tony
Standard User BuckyOHare
(newbie) Fri 10-Oct-14 14:52:24
Print Post

It is sad i have been with them since August 2004 first with ISDN and then DSL, I had a 2 year deal as well because of the length of time I had been a customer, when I moved house I found that my connection was very bad went from a Rural area with an 8mbps connection to a Town with only a 1.7mbps connection, but luckily new house was in an FTTC enable area and they waived all the waiting periods and installed my current FTTC connection in under 10days which I thought was a good service. But I am looking at other ISP's now because they are just to expensive and can we rely on them to provided high quality customer support to residential customer when they are now focusing the company into providing business only services.

Eclipse Lightspeed Fibre

Edited by BuckyOHare (Fri 10-Oct-14 15:04:41)

(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Oct-14 16:08:39
Print Post

I must admit that in 11 years I've never phoned or needed to phone Customer Support for technical problems. A few years ago I had a couple of issues with Eclipse billing for a neighbour but that got sorted, so I've no real idea of how good or otherwise their technical support is.

Clearly as my 2 years is up in February next I'll be contacting them beforehand to see what options are available.

Tony
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Oct-14 19:42:31
Print Post

replying to self for convenience

I see at the foot of Eclipse's home user's page a tweet
We’re still offering connections to new home customers through our customer service team, coupled with the same great service.
I don't subscribe to Twitter so unable to follow the Eclipse tweets but this could imply they're still taking on new home users albeit not via on-line application.

Tony
Standard User APTMAN
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 00:34:28
Print Post

Well I do not have a twitter account but I can still read there tweets.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to