User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wideeye
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 10:33:24
Print Post

Eclipse horrendous performance on streaming sites

[link to this post]

Hello all - first post so be gentle.

I've recently signed back up to eclipse after a break of 2 years. New connection is "Business Fibre" and I'm getting down speeds of around 50-70Mbps and up speeds of 15-20Mbps. Not bad for a (very) rural location!

However - and it's a big however - they appear to be shaping the traffic to the n'th degree. I use youtube videos regularly for work but they mostly *all* drop to at most 480p and then still buffer. The same throttling seems to occur on all streaming services (netflix, vimeo etc etc).

Now, I understand that some form of shaping has to occur, but when I can't watch a **** quality youtube video without buffering something seems to be a bit amiss.

I've challenged them about it, here's some of their responses:

As my colleagues outlined, and in line with all other major UK internet providers, we do constantly dynamically manage our network to ensure we can provide the best service possible
for all our customers which is inline with our terms of service.

When a particular service does start to impact on our general network operation, we may take steps to manage the connection to that service to ensure that our other customers not
using that service are not affected by that impact.

This is particularly the case when Apple,Microsoft and others release patches and update as we can see demand to these services increase to a level that would negatively impact
total network capacity. In this instance Global network controllers are applied Monday to F ridays 9-6pm and at times due to the unprecedented demand.

When asked if we could cancel the service as it was only installed 7 days previous to my complaint and I considered myself to be within the cooling off period they responded that the cooling off period was from the date of ordering *not* date of installation. Considering the installation was 1 month after ordering I took exception about this!

Long story short: they want £250 early termination fee for a service which does *not* suit my needs. They won't back down. What do I do?! Any help/pointers? I feel they are in breach of something, not sure what yet!

Cheers all

Edited by wideeye (Wed 02-Sep-15 11:31:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 16:28:23
Print Post

Re: Eclipse horrendous performance on streaming sites

[re: wideeye] [link to this post]

Do the terms of service actually state the degree to which things may be managed down?

On a 50 to 70 Mbps service I would contest it is reasonable to expect a video stream of 3 to 4 Mbps to stream smoothly.

The recent Windows 10 did create some unusual traffic blips but that has died away.

You may want to consider the ADR services if you cannot get an agreement on exiting contract early, it is not a fast option to get a resolution but providers usually listen if you make it clear that you've taken advice (i.e. get some independent advice on where you stand with your contract)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/resolving-a-broa...

As for the in line with all other major providers comment, the major ones do very little traffic management these days, hence why they are allowed to advertise as totally unlimited, as that is a requirement to use that sales tactic.

One way to find out if its their traffic management is to enable a web proxy and see if this improves streaming speeds - so long as your player is set to use HTTP packets of course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wideeye
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 16:53:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've looked but can't find any information about the shaping - it may well be there but I'm damned if I can see it! There's one or two documents here: https://www.eclipse.net.uk/legal/ but they don't make it easy for you.

As you say, I wouldn't expect a 480p video to buffer on the connection... it didn't even when I had a 4Mbps ADSL connection so the fact it's doing it now is astounding!

I think I'm going to have to go down the ADR route - it annoys me greatly to do so though, when I had the ADSL service with them I couldn't fault them. How things have changed... bring back paper cups and string

Interesting point about sales tactics with unlimited services, is that enshrined in law?

Will attempt using a proxy to see if that does anything

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 19:32:29
Print Post

[re: wideeye] [link to this post]

Not in law, but BCAP/ASA rulings such that some traffic management is allowed if you advertise as unlimited, no hard and fast rule on how much, i.e. no one has tested in court.

If sold with the phrase 'totally unlimited' then there is not meant to be any traffic management at all, other than you might fight other users for capacity at peak times.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alcockell
(learned) Mon 25-Apr-16 13:52:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

13-25Kbps during the day? This is insane..

I'm investigating other ISPs....
  Print Thread

Jump to