User comments on ISPs
  >> Eclipse Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User awoluk
(newbie) Thu 21-Jan-16 09:34:16
Print Post

All residential customers now throttled

[link to this post]

I've been a broadband customer of eclipse for around 16 years, Although never the cheapest company, service has always been top notch especially if you need to speak to them on the phone.

I was was a little worried when I saw them go to a business only model, but things seemed to be ok.

However, 6 months ago I start to get weird problems - I have a solid FTTC line at around 40mb but YouTube videos would struggle to fire up at even low resolution, speedtests would show at about 0.5mbs and Netflix would quite often fail to buffer.

I contacted them and asked if they were shaping traffic, they said no and it must be down to my router, the technical reason being "heat creep". Loving that...

Anyway, bought a new router and same problem occurred. BT wholesale's speed tester when directly connected showed 40mb, speedtest.net showed 0.5. Thinking at this point that it has to be traffic management I called again and spoke to someone else. He went away, came back and said he's just spoken to a collegue and I was right, traffic is now being restricted during peak times including all the services I mentioned. Surprising how much I use YouTube, it's completely unusable during the day.

So there you have it. After all those years and I've just put in for a migration. Just wanted to put this up because for one I'm really disappointed that I've had to leave them and two, any other existing customers with the same issues now know what the cause is. I just wish they had communicated it out to customs rather than put it in place and not even tell their technical support staff.

Heat creep... Still chuckle when I think of that.

Dan.

Edited by awoluk (Thu 21-Jan-16 09:39:29)

Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Feb-16 14:28:14
Print Post

Re: All residential customers now throttled

[re: awoluk] [link to this post]

eclipse have always traffic shaped, dumped them years ago after their data centre caught fire and the stuff that throttled the connection went offline and had full speeds for a while then it dropped every 10 mins back to 50 kbps and transferred the next day

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User APTMAN
(regular) Sat 20-Feb-16 17:17:33
Print Post

Not had any problems on Business ADSL2 .

Nothing funny about 'Heat Creep' see this

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/07/tips-fo...

I mount my modem 1" off the wall on stands to let it have a good supply of cooling air.

On older DG834 modem I have fitted heat sink and fan.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Suzi
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Feb-16 19:53:21
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

If Eclipse's website is accurate, Traffic Management doesn't kick in until the customer goes over the monthly cap. If they have an unlimited package, it's restricted during peak hours.

I'm on a Residential ADSL2 package and so far I haven't noticed anything either, but I've never gone beyond my monthly download limit.

[Edit] I meant to also add that my connection is generally slow due to my distance from the exchange so even if I did go over it wouldn't alter things too much for me, but I do sympathise with others who are used to a faster connection that then gets throttled.

Edited by Suzi (Mon 22-Feb-16 20:05:00)

Standard User Suzi
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Apr-16 22:12:41
Print Post

[re: Suzi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Suzi:
If Eclipse's website is accurate, Traffic Management doesn't kick in until the customer goes over the monthly cap. If they have an unlimited package, it's restricted during peak hours.

After the website overall this week the traffic management page only lists information for those on a business package, but here's what it used to say (dated 14th March 2016).

There's no guarantee it will continue like this, but it's the best we have.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Apr-16 22:17:39
Print Post

The worst traffic shaping I ever experienced was on Eclipse Internet, the customer service was poor too.
  Print Thread

Jump to