User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User philippercival
(regular) Wed 01-Dec-10 11:32:36
Print Post

Persistant Connection Porblems.

[link to this post]

For some time now I have been having problems with my router dropping the connection. Sometimes when it reconnects, it does so at a much lower synch speed and this then effects my BRAS profile. Recently this has resulted in my having much lower effective speeds.

Enta have been good on the phone and asked me to connect to the test socket, change filter and suggested trying a different router, then called out an Openreach engineer. He conducted multiple tests from here, the cabinet and I think the exchange, but could find no problem. He changed the master socket which was less than two years old and asked BT to reset the card I was connected to, and suggested we wait and see if it made any difference. Sadly it has not.

I would be very grateful for any clues based on a the data I have collected which can be found here.

The data is a little patchy I am afraid as I did not always note all of it down.

I can see no patterns of time , the SNR does seem to change quite a bit.

The problem started way before the Snow.

Edited by philippercival (Wed 01-Dec-10 11:34:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Dec-10 11:43:03
Print Post

Re: Persistant Connection Porblems.

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

RouterStats, or RouterStats Lite further down that page is easier, may help diagnose the problem. I set it to sample every 5 seconds, saving the graphs and also to a log file.

It will make it easier to see what is happening to the noise margin, and exactly when. We may get some clues from that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
(regular) Wed 01-Dec-10 13:01:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you I have downloaded router stats and installed it on a laptop connected to the router. After fooling around with the set up I think I have got it capturing they synch speeds and the SNR but not the line attenuation, will this be enough.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Dec-10 13:47:16
Print Post

Yes, those are the most important, unless the attenuation was varying wildly.

That normally shouldn't change, though just occasionally you can see the odd flicker that you have there. Worth keeping an eye on it though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 15:31:22
Print Post

Re: Persistant Connection Porblems. _update

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have now collected 24hrs of logs and put a link to them from my stats Info Page.
Following another call to Enta, about the continuous drops, BT decided to raise my SNR from 6/7 to 17/18 to see it made my line more stable. It has, but I can now only sync at 1600 tather than the 3500+_ that I was getting before. Needless to say that has not done a great deal for my download speeds.
(regular) Sat 04-Dec-10 09:45:45
Print Post

Re: Persistant Connection Problems - Question

BT reduced the SNR on my Enta line and it went back to syncing at about 3500. Still waiting for the IP profile to increase.

I have 2 line the other with Plusnet. Yesterday morning I noticed that that was synced at a rather low speed, so pulled the phone wire out of the back of the router then plugged it in again about 20 sec later. While watching the lights on the front of the router waiting for it to re-connect, I noticed that The Enta Router had also disconnected. Exactly the same thing happened this morning when I tried it again. Could this mean somehow that the two lines are miswired somewhere ? as I would have thought disconnecting one should have no effect on the other.

Thanks in anticipation for any answers.
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 18:06:38
Print Post

Re: Persistant Connection Problems - Update

I got tremendous service from the Enta technical support and the fault was finally escalated to the complex fault team at BT, who apparently reset everything connected me to different virtual circuits etc, but the improvement was limited as according to BT there was a certain amount of congestion in the exchange and I would have to wait for someone to move to another provider.

As we recently got LLU in the exchange and Vivacity could use it on a monthly contract, I decided to be the one to leave. The new connection went live this afternoon and my speedtest.net result has jumped from 1.93 to 3.34, lets hope it continues.

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1141219376.png[/IMG]

Edited by philippercival (Thu 03-Feb-11 18:07:41)

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Feb-11 19:32:40
Print Post

Coll, glad your happy with it, the name looks familiar, think I spoke to you today on the support desk, did you have an issue with SSH and did you get it resolved?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 20:53:38
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Yes thank you, my server had an IP restriction in its firewall, that I did not know about, (memory loss), so after doing the tests with the laptop straight into the router, I rang the server farm tech support as it seemed the only thing left. Sorry to have bothered you, but thank you for excellent service.
  Print Thread

Jump to