User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hummer
(newbie) Fri 31-Dec-10 18:40:28
Print Post

Incredibly Slow Connection

[link to this post]

My connection keeps going through periods were it's so slow I can't even load a website or stream a stock quote. Nobody else is using the connection and nothing is downloading, it's just painfully slow. This problem will often persist for a few minutes to an hour before the connection returns to normal, but can occur multiple times in a day. During this time the router remains connected and the connection continues to work, just at a speed that makes and 8600baud modem look fast. It's been going on for a few weeks so I assume I'm the only one who's having this problem, otherwise a lot more people would be posting about it.

BT just upgraded the exchange for FTTC and this seemed to cause my connection to resync to 4Mbit and then after a couple of weeks 4.5Mbit when it had previously been 3Mbit. I can only assume that this is more than the line can handle and that's why I'm getting these intermittent periods of extremely slow connectivity.

My connection stats are:

Connection Speed
Downstream: 4506 kbps
Upstream: 955 kbps

Line Attenuation
Downstream: 45 db
Upstream: 14 db

Noise Margin
Downstream: 3 db
Upstream: 6 db

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I maybe try to get my connection to sync at a slower speed by occasionally turning the power off for my router so it looks to the DSLAM like the connection cut out?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Dec-10 19:02:48
Print Post

Re: Incredibly Slow Connection

[re: Hummer] [link to this post]

Are you connecting to the router wired or wirelessly?

I advise against your idea of trying to force it to sync slower. Those stats are already a load of garbage so you would (a) make them worse still, and (b) thoroughly confuse the issue for anyone trying to diagnose the problem.

With a downstream attenuation of 45dB on ADSL2+, even with the default noise margin of 6dB you should be connecting between 6 and 8Mbps, not 4506. On 3dB noise margin it should be a bit higher.

What time of day (and day) did you connect to get that speed?

Did you replace or get any new electrical or electronic equipment at the time this started?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Hummer
(newbie) Fri 31-Dec-10 19:58:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's a wired connection. To get this speed I connected at about 2:00pm today. I was having connection issues so I disconnected and reconnected. Prior to the disconnected it was syncing at 4Mbps but when I reconnected it connected at 4506, following which the connection was even worse than normal.

I haven't bought any new electrical equipment since the problem started and haven't replaced anything. The connection issues started when the sync speed jumped from 3Mbps to 4Mbps and that seemed to coincide with the exchange being upgraded to FTTC, so I assume what's changed is something at the exchange.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Dec-10 20:56:29
Print Post

Hmmmm frown.

Dinner intervened, with vino.

If your connection speed was even worse on ADSL Max then there are serious problems somewhere, as it can't be attributed to a change of DSLAM connection at the exchange.

The wired/wireless question was to do with the throughput side of it, as wireless can often degrade but wired be OK. So we have eliminated that issue.

Hopefully others will jump in, as at this end it is New Year's Eve. Will follow up probably 2 days hence.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 31-Dec-10 22:06:41
Print Post

got any error counters on your stats ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Hummer
(newbie) Fri 31-Dec-10 23:06:09
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I'm not really sure to look for error counters. I rebooted the router before I reconnected earlier today so there's nothing in the log and I'm not sure where else to look.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Dec-10 23:21:00
Print Post

What router is it?

Standard User Hummer
(newbie) Sat 01-Jan-11 03:23:59
Print Post

It's a A Netgear DG834.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 09:32:22
Print Post

See this page and scroll down to Tweaking through the CLI.

I suggest for a one-off set the debug switch "On" using the link shown, then telnet in through a Command Line window and use the command at the bottom.

Standard User Hummer
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 10:10:44
Print Post

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I can't work out what I'm doing wrong. I've enabled the debug mode and then ran telnet with the command "telnet 192.168.0.1". That gives me this screen:

http://i55.tinypic.com/vfxrbc.jpg

Unfortunately it won't let me type anything into that screen so I can't enter the "adslctl info --stats" command. I therefore ran telnet, typed "set localecho" (it confirms local echo is on) and then "open 192.168.0.1" but still nothing I type appears.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2gy6r89.jpg

I therefore decided to try it from HyperTerminal, but this gave me the same screen in a nice window. What HyperTerminal does have is a "Paste to host" option so I tried pasting the "adslctl info --stats" command but that just gives this:

Sorry for being such a nuisance, but do you know what I'm doing wrong?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to