User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CASFAN
(newbie) Thu 13-Jan-11 09:35:52
Print Post

Sudden drop in Sync Speed

[link to this post]

I've been with Entanet via UKFSN since April 2007 and during that time I have generally had sync speeds of around 3mbps to 4.5 mbps and have been on an IP profile of between 2500 & 5000 during that time. My download speed via Speedtest has generally averaged around 3.5mbps.

Now I know the speed isn't great due to location but it does the job and is useable. On the 8th Jan I had a sync of 3424 and was on IP profile 3000, but since 11/1/11 that has dropped significantly to an average sync of 288kbps on IP profile 250!

That is a huge drop and is not that much better than dial up! The sync even dropped to 160kbps at one stage.

I have connected the router direct to the master test socket with and without microfilter and got upto 700kbps sync but that's still way below and I have achieved a sync of around 500 when connected normally so the socket & filter are clearly not the main factor.

I guess the only constants are the modem/router (WAG200G) and the line. The modem/router is working fine in all other ways, but obviously can not be discounted. It's strange that it has worked consistently, almost without fault for nearly 4 years and has suddenly just dropped.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I be contacting BT re: the line etc.

My current line stats are:-

Downstream Rate: 544 kbps
Upstream Rate: 352 kbps
Downstream Margin: 6 db
Upstream Margin: 7 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 56 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 15.5 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 12 db
Upstream Transmit Power: 2 db

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Edited by CASFAN (Thu 13-Jan-11 09:37:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jan-11 10:03:13
Print Post

Re: Sudden drop in Sync Speed

[re: CASFAN] [link to this post]

If you unplug the router and filter from the line and just plug a (preferably corded) phone into the test socket inside the master, not the normal external one, (a) does it work, and (b) if it works is the quiet line test (17070 Option 2), silent?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jan-11 10:15:49
Print Post

Transmit power does seem a tad low... You have been lucky getting 5mbps on 56db tho!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CASFAN
(newbie) Thu 13-Jan-11 20:14:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers guys, the phone line is dead when connected to the test socket with a phone. I've raised it as a fault with BT and they are currently saying that the fault could be located at or close to my property. I'll see what they come up with.

Thanks for the replies.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jan-11 22:16:09
Print Post

You probably know the phone and broadband services are supplied over the same pair of wires. What you probably don't know is that if one wire of the pair becomes disconnected for whatever reason the broadband can keep running hugely degraded exactly like yours, but the phone cannot work at all.

Hence my question.

So now you just need OR to find the disconnection smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 13-Jan-11 22:16:20)

Print Thread

Jump to