User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User anyoldcrap
(regular) Sun 13-Mar-11 16:43:17
Print Post

Has anyone..

[link to this post]

...Suffered an IP profile so low & speed so slow?

What a difference a month makes frown
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Mar-11 18:09:50
Print Post

Re: Has anyone..

[re: anyoldcrap] [link to this post]

Nice upload speed though! tongue

I take it you've had some low sync events?

Standard User anyoldcrap
(regular) Sun 13-Mar-11 18:52:22
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Last weekend it was windy which caused a few drops & resyncs with the exchange. BT bumped up my snr to 15db & I was put on a 250k profile. Then Enta put some stability option on my line. So from 5.9Mbit syncs upto Feb 28 I went down to 4mbit syncs from Feb 29. My profile went up to 3500k last Monday & was working fine until Friday when it started raining. I went on my PC to download iOS 4.3 & i noticed on DMT tool that again my connection had dropped & resynced a few times and i was currently synced at 1.5Mbit. I resyned & it went back to 4Mbit but when I ran the BT speed test I was stunned to see I was on the lowest profile possible & at best could only manage 14.5kb/s. Apparently nothing can be done & I have to wait 72 hours for it to go up. My connection had been up since very early Sat morning but was so slow it's effectively unusable. I called support & they ran tests which as usual came back fine. But as these tests dropped me from the exchange no doubt my 72 hours has started from scratch. So the weather cripples my internet & all diagnostics come back as fine. So I'm stuck with dialup speeds for gawd knows how long. Of course I can get an engineer out but if they are anything like their remote diagnostic tools I'll end up getting charged a fortune & still have dungy unusable internet.

My upload speed is great but sadly I can't actually get on any sites where I can upload videos or any file big enough to require such speed.

My options:

Suffer this painful service.

Book an engineer & risk being charged & having to still suffer this service.

Go for FTTC which means hopefully bypassing the dodgy wiring or incase it's between my pole & the cabinet mentioning it to the install engineer in the hope he'll look into it for free while here. But getting tied to a 12 month contract.

Pack up & move house.

Why in 2011 is it so blinking difficult to get anything done on such a simple thing. Heck my father lives out in the sticks & is getting faster speed then I am *sigh*

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User philippercival
(member) Wed 16-Mar-11 10:14:20
Print Post

I am afraid this may not help. I was having a similar circular problem, with Enta though Vivacity and a BT exchange. My line was basically always being clobbered by disconnections. After many tests etc and the fault was actually taken to the BT serious faults team who tried various things. I was finally told nothing could be done as the exchange was conjested.

Luckily during this 2½ month saga, I noticed that LLU had been installed at my exchange. When I rang Vivacity they said they could transfer me to this and still on the 1 month contract.

I am delighted with the result. My connection is now a regular 3.2Mbit down. I still get some disconnects but the profiling system seems to be very different and I do not get hammered for disconnects. My calls and line are still though BT, just the internet comes through the LLU as I understand it. As mentioned 1 month contract. The only support call I made to Vivacity (maybe 2) during the change over was dealt with excellently.

I still have no idea what the original problem was, as I actually have 2 lines and the other is still connected though the BT hardware. It always performed better than this one but not now.

I was always certain that the problem was not on my property as in effect there was no internal wiring, so I ignored the warning of charges. I did go though all the process of connecting to the master sockets, changing the filters and even using different routers.
Standard User anyoldcrap
(regular) Thu 17-Mar-11 02:45:19
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

I couldn't bare the lower than dialup speeds any longer so on Monday I called support & requested an engineer asap. The chap asked me to call back in 40m to get my appointment. When I called it had been booked for the next day which I was pleased at. Engineer was here around 1 1/2 hours & in that time I watched my line pass one test after another leading me to fear a charge. Luckily I still had my new pc in the living room & he asked me to run a speed test. As expected it was showing 3kb/s so he asked me to run the BT test so he could confirm my profile. When he saw it was 135k he rang someone to request my profile be reset because it was to low & whoever he spoke to said my like was set to a 2000k profile. After running another BT test & some debate over the phone including the line (sounds like another 21cn disaster) it was decided something was borked & not communicating with other gear. He said something probably needed rebuilding & spoke to the person on the phone again. Then he requested I ran a speed test & boom I had boradband speeds again. I can only assume I was switched over to anther piece of kit. He then left saying he would try & tweak some more speed out for me. My line dropped twice 15m apart & has been synced ever since. I'm assuming he was doing something either at the cabinet or the exchange for those two drops. Whatever was done did nothing to increase my speed. Before the issue I was synced at 5,920 on a 5000k profile getting 4.9Mbit aka 620kb/s speeds. Now I'm synced at 4,288 on a 3500k profile getting 3.2Mbit aka 420kb/s speeds. Looking at my stats I'm thinking my lower sync is because my snr is up at 15dB compared to 9db before the issue. It used to be at 6dB but BT raised it for some reason only they know. I may call Enta & request my snr be reset now I'm on new gear not faulty [censored].

At least I know my line is in good condition & I'm 100m away from my cabinet. Which is temping me to switch to FTTC wink

And the BT guy confirmed what I already knew that 21cn is a disaster. My connection was rock solid from switching to adsl up until 21cn then it's been crazy.
Standard User philippercival
(member) Thu 17-Mar-11 09:35:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by anyoldcrap:
Now I'm synced at 4,288 on a 3500k profile getting 3.2Mbit aka 420kb/s speeds. Looking at my stats I'm thinking my lower sync is because my snr is up at 15dB compared to 9db before the issue.

I was told something similar and that it would correct itself automatically after 72 hrs of a stable connection. This I believe from what others have said is all part of the BT profiling system.

In my case I always got another disconnect so the SNR never made it back. Moving away from BT solved the problem.

I just wish that FTTC was available here, but as a semi rural area I suspect it will be a very long time before it gets here.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Mar-11 10:48:27
Print Post

Thanks for the update.

I would have thought your fix would come under a BT SFI where you should get your TSNR reset as part of the process:

It must be noted that any Special Fault Investigation (SFI) that concludes in a BT network fix will result in an Auto SNR reset being triggered. This is the same as a CCSNR but not requested by a customer.
http://www.btwholesale-briefingportal.com/brief/view...

Standard User anyoldcrap
(regular) Thu 17-Mar-11 11:17:09
Print Post

I just had my first drop & resync since the visit so it hasn't managed 48 hours never mind 72. Sync is 4,384, snr still 15dB & my error stats causing concern frown
Standard User anyoldcrap
(regular) Wed 30-Mar-11 21:03:35
Print Post

Back on a 135k profile after my connection went mad again struggling to sync at 2.5Mbit but this time my voice line went down too. At first no dial tone & then with dial tone but with hissing & other noises. Picking up the phone would caue my sync to drop. BT openreach retail came out & gave me new internal wiring but my line failed the tests he ran on it. He went off to the cabinet fir a while then came back & ran the tests again but this time passing them all. Synced back at 4.3Mbit (the standard since my snr was ramped up to 16db). I attempted to call Enta & ask if they could request my profile be changed & got the usual [censored] about needing to do test due to intermittency. I pointed out they've run these tests for that reason many times & everything came back fine. They'd even run the tests when my line was dropping & found nothing wrong which makes me wonder how good their diagnostic gear is. It's amazing a BT wholesale engineer says my line is fine but a retail Engnieer found many problems. Anyhoo I ended the conversation before I lost my temper & let him run his tests. My sync dropped as it tends too when these tests are run but has been up ever since with no signs of any issues. In fact my FEC error rate has dropped from 1000's every minute to maybe 70 an hour if that. So I'm stuck om dial up for gawd knows how long.

Oh & it would appear there was no snr reset by the original engineer. I did request a reset but don't think my request completed as my snr never went below 16db before all this started again. If I'm still synced on Sunday with no drops & my profile hasn't changed I'll play hell. But I won't be reqesting an snr reset as I've signed up to switch to FTTC soon. Just waiting for an install date which I hope is sooner rather than later. Just want usable speed until I'm switched over.

Still can't understand how broadband on 21st century technology can be worse than broadband on old 20th century technology crazy
Standard User Finguz
(knowledge is power) Thu 31-Mar-11 09:48:53
Print Post

Re: Has anyone.. *DELETED*

Post deleted by Finguz
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to