User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jayteedc
(regular) Fri 06-May-11 22:23:07
Print Post

DNS Redirection (Aquiss)

[link to this post]

Hi,

Has anybody else noticed that using Aquiss main DNS servers, their browser is being redirected upon 404s now to a search page?

Anybody know if there's an option to turn this off?

jayteedc
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 06-May-11 23:27:32
Print Post

Re: DNS Redirection (Aquiss)

[re: jayteedc] [link to this post]

Isn't that "a feature" of a recent browser update, though I forget which?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User jayteedc
(regular) Sat 07-May-11 00:21:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not this particular one. The text at the top says:

"This search brought to you by www.aquiss.net and OpenDNS, teaming up to provide you with a faster and safer Internet experience."

jayteedc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeeTee
(member) Sat 07-May-11 01:02:10
Print Post

Great - another ISP breaking internet standards and jumping on the bandwagon to earn a little click through revenue kick back goodness.
Standard User jayteedc
(regular) Sat 07-May-11 09:50:51
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Ok, I think I've figured out what happened.

My main hard drive failed and a few days ago I restored from a backup that was taken shortly before re-joining Aquiss. I imagine you can tell what follows...

The primary and secondary DNS were not accessible and so the OS failed-over to Open DNS servers.

The only thing that made me think the ISP had anything to do with it was the message at the top of the redirected page:
"This search brought to you by www.aquiss.net and OpenDNS, teaming up to provide you with a faster and safer Internet experience."

I'm sure everything will be back to normal when I re-apply the correct DNS addresses. Sorry guys, false alarm!

jayteedc
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-May-11 09:52:46
Print Post

I don't like the sound of that! Hopefully Aquiss allow you to 'opt out'?

Failing that - perhaps try using your own OpenDNS settings or the standard Entanet ones to see if they override the one's your provider are using?

EDIT: I see you've just posted as I was typing - let us know how you get on...

Edited by b4dger (Sat 07-May-11 09:54:17)

Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sat 07-May-11 10:26:59
Print Post

Good Morning,

I am not sure what is going on here, but I can 100% on the record here and now say that we are doing NO DNS redirection on 404s.

That all said, I am as keen as you are you to find out what is going on, especially as we have no relationship with OpenDNS. We actually recommend http://www.dnsadvantage.com/ instead.

Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sat 07-May-11 10:34:47
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
Great - another ISP breaking internet standards and jumping on the bandwagon to earn a little click through revenue kick back goodness.

Stop jumping to conclusions. We have a history of making sure standards are very much followed.

Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sat 07-May-11 10:43:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by jayteedc:
The only thing that made me think the ISP had anything to do with it was the message at the top of the redirected page:

Your right to be concerned. I also want to know why our web address is appearing via OpenDNS.

I have called them just a few moments ago and got a really good technical lady looking into for me.

Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sat 07-May-11 11:09:29
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Right, an important update.

OpenDNS have called me back. They have found a rouge network of /20 IPs setup over 4 years which myself and OpenDNS can only presume was setup by an Aquiss customer at some point in the past (ie: they created an account, added a network to customise, but somehow added a massive range).

I have confirmed that this range is not owed by Aquiss and never has, as such should be removed, which they have kindly done. They also insisted that someone can't add ranges without extensive checks.

Hopefully this resolves the matter for you.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to