User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sirsmegalot
(newbie) Fri 20-May-11 17:41:14
Print Post

The Great Entanet Saga (Intermittent Connection)

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I'm experiencing a persistent problem with my Entanet provided ADSL connection dropping. The problem has been ongoing since March, and despite an engineer visit and "changes" to the line it continues. I am hoping that by posting some relevant information that somebody here can spot something and help me get this sorted, as far I am getting the usual L1 support e-mails back (I'm with Falconnet but in direct contact with Entanet).

24/04/11 - After an initial technical call that got nowhere, sent email to Entanet. No response to this or follow up so a third e-mail sent 05/05/11, the guts of which were:

Problems experienced:

* Intermittent and frequent loss of connection requiring a hard reboot of the router
* Online gaming is impossible; the lag is extreme and makes it VERY difficult to even finish a match
* The download/upload speed of the connection halves regularly and for extended periods of time
* Sometimes the speeds drop to double-figures for extended periods of time making basic browsing a nightmare
* The connection "jitters" every 10- 20 seconds or so, by which I mean it seems to freeze/hang and then resumes as normal
* The problem affects all of our internet-enabled devices/systems

What we've tried:

* Replaced the router twice
* Replaced the ADSL cable
* Replaced the microfilter twice, both times using brand new filters
* Ran virus/rootkit scans on all systems
* Ensured the router security was at its maximum level
* Had both Enta and BT run their own diagnostic tests
* Unplugged everything but the ADSL line/microfilter from the wall socket

07/05/11 - After email exchanges, Entanet arranged an engineer visit for today. He changed the faceplate on the wall socket and advised us to leave a Sky cable unplugged because in case it was faulty, but the problems we've been having have persisted regardless of this. The next day I contacted Entanet to see if we should leave this to "settle".

10/05/11 - Response saying that the line was still dropping and a generic "we need to arrange another engineer visit" response copied and pasted (it actually even has "Please advise the EU" in it).

11/05/11 - Removed master socket faceplate and used the test socket with ADSL cable only, the same problems of Internet light going red and only a manual reboot fixing continued, there were no changes to stats while in test socket.

On 15th I took some ADSL stats from the router, attached below. Also did a quiet line test and sounds clear as a bell.

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/35iat5y.png[/IMG]

17/05/11 - E-mail response from Enta 1st line support: "Thank you for your email, we have now made some changes to your line,please allow 24hrs for this to complete, and then a further 24hrs for the line to adjust and hopefully regain stability."

Today - Still no difference, I have taken another snap of the ADSL stats after these changes yesterday:

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/el6yxz.png[/IMG]

Basically the downstream SNR has went from 6.5 Down / 11 Up (checked 15th), to 7.0 Down / 10 Up (checked yesterday) and today it is 9.0 Down / 11 Up:

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/2nuo7d.png[/IMG]

In addition I've found that running long pings shows massive latency spikes, going to a Google IP (and tested from 2 seperate locations with no spikes). To save bloating this post out any more, I've put the ping and traceroute results here: http://pastebin.com/L2TF01uT (an MTR showing loss at most hops is at the end)

If anyone can recommend something that I can do to get Entanet to fix this I would really appreciate it, as I am sure I done all I can from my end. smile

Edited by sirsmegalot (Fri 20-May-11 17:57:12)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 20-May-11 21:26:59
Print Post

Re: The Great Entanet Saga (Intermittent Connection)

[re: sirsmegalot] [link to this post]

Firstly this must be very frustrating for you.... Can you explain what "ADSL connection dropping" actually looks from your experiance when it happens and secondly how often

You also mentioned you replaced your router. Which one?

IanD

Edited by iand (Fri 20-May-11 21:30:07)

Standard User sirsmegalot
(newbie) Fri 20-May-11 22:03:07
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
Firstly this must be very frustrating for you.... Can you explain what "ADSL connection dropping" actually looks from your experiance when it happens and secondly how often

You also mentioned you replaced your router. Which one?

The Internet light on the router goes red and the Internet cuts out for all devices. Only by manually rebooting the router gets the connection to come back. Sometimes lately it comes back on after 10 minutes or so by itself. There are some wireless devices, the laptops, phones and hand held consoles. The main consoles and desktop PCs are wired. The times when the connection comes back on by itself it's only dropped for about 10 or 20 seconds ro thereabouts, long enough to be noticeable and an annoyance, and I get signed out of MSN when it happens. Though just to be clear this has been tested using Ethernet, it's not a wireless issue.

Regarding the router situation, Netgear DGN2000 was the last one, and the current one is the D-Link DSL-2740R. Generally the Internet connection is disconnecting every couple of hours, sometimes more often.

Edited by sirsmegalot (Fri 20-May-11 22:05:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 21-May-11 05:26:57
Print Post

You look to be connecting very good on the line with a speed of 8M. You could ask the ISP to adjust the SNR from the 6/7 profile to 9/10, which would reduce the overall speed, but may reduce the number of disconnections you are getting, thus giving you a better overall experiance.

once they do that, if there is still a problem I would ask your ISP how you get an engineer to (1) check the cable from your house to the exchange for bad connections or (2) how you can get moved to a new adsl port in the exchange. This may cost £ to do that

You could also ask your ISP for their records on your disconnections, e.g. how often you are logging into them and ask them if this is normal and what would they recommend to reduce this (I think you have sort of done that already)

IanD
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-May-11 10:03:37
Print Post

When that happens do you actually lose line sync or just the PPP session?

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Dialup, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-May-11 18:56:46
Print Post

I can highly recommend using the excellent free RouterStats s/w: http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm to monitor your line/router! smile

This will show if you are getting noise bursts and more!

Standard User sbrads
(member) Sun 22-May-11 11:10:27
Print Post

Listen carefully for any crackling on the phone - if there is some and you can get the BT operator to also hear it on a line test, then BT will jump into action. I have the T shirt on that one, it's far better than trying to get an ISP to kick BT's backside over an alleged dodgy connection. They gave me another phone line which has been trouble-free now for a couple of years .

Steve
Standard User simon11
(regular) Mon 23-May-11 05:47:58
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

My connection has also been dropping out. red light on modem, slow speeds 700kbs for the last two months. ukfsn and entanet blame BT.
It comes and go's 700kbs to 8000kbs
????????????????????????
Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 23-May-11 18:23:15
Print Post

[re: sbrads] [link to this post]

Yes I would agree with this.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to