User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Fri 29-Jul-11 14:41:00
Print Post

21CN - What a revelation

[link to this post]

Recently i noticed our rural exchange had been upgraded for 21CN WBC. I paid £13.20 to upgrade our IPStream connection to the WBC platform.

Originally I synced at 8mbit, but only past midnight or during the day would I ever achieve that figure - at peak times the speed was treacle slow. Enough to warrant moving from Enta in all honesty. Now i'm on 21cn my connection is a constant 1.4mbit/sec regardless of the time of day. This is how it always should have been!

What does WBC offer over IPStream that generates such a HUGE discrepancy in available bandwidth?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 31-Jul-11 23:10:37
Print Post

Re: 21CN - What a revelation

[re: toph3r] [link to this post]

At least for you it has turned out well smile.

Have a read of this page. As explained there, Entanet use WBC and IPSC. The difference you are experiencing is almost certainly due to the WBC node you are now routed to being higher capacity per customer rented by Enta then the IPSC node you were previously attached to.

The two may or may not be at the same location. If they are, I think they will be using the same backhaul, but they will be on different MSILs, and that is where the bottleneck can be - like the old BT Centrals. Only you could try disconnecting and reconnecting to get on a different Central, but that doesn't work with MSILs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 14:59:35
Print Post

1.4 MBytes/s (I assume that's what you meant) is well above the maximum that IPStream 8M can deliver. WBC offers ADSL2+ so your sync speed has presumably gone up.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 03-Aug-11 15:05:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Great info, thanks!
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 03-Aug-11 15:06:05
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
1.4 MBytes/s (I assume that's what you meant) is well above the maximum that IPStream 8M can deliver. WBC offers ADSL2+ so your sync speed has presumably gone up.

Er, yeah, I realise this. What relevance is this to the point I outlined in my original post?
Standard User tweak
(newbie) Wed 03-Aug-11 15:48:55
Print Post

I had same problem with Plusnet. It appeared that they had set my IP profile at 2Mbps (two) and not 20Mbps (Twenty), thus I got less than 2Mbps download.
Thet did fix it and now I get over 14Mbps.
Check your IP profile with your ISP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Aug-11 18:37:19
Print Post

1.4MBytes / sec, is around 11Mbps a second, so you gained around 4Meg from going to WBC it would seem.

Remember max throughput on ADSL is around 7Meg - 8Meg is the connection speed.

It is not clear what your throughput was on the old ADSL connection, but it is feasible it was limited by a wandering IP Profile as much as by any exchange/node/central congestion.

Does that go towards showing the relevance?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Aug-11 23:32:50
Print Post

WBC is far less expensive for ISPs than IPSC hence it is possible for Enta to provide more bandwidth per customer within budget on WBC. That makes a vast difference.

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Dialup, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 03-Aug-11 23:36:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
1.4MBytes / sec, is around 11Mbps a second, so you gained around 4Meg from going to WBC it would seem.

Remember max throughput on ADSL is around 7Meg - 8Meg is the connection speed.

It is not clear what your throughput was on the old ADSL connection, but it is feasible it was limited by a wandering IP Profile as much as by any exchange/node/central congestion.

Does that go towards showing the relevance?

Sorry, but no, it does not. The clear fact of the matter was Enta net were unable to provide a decent allocation of bandwidth to me at 'peak' periods before I switched to 21cn. I would get full speeds (8mbit) past midnight when the traffic dropped off, but come 5/6pm, it all went slow. These are very basic facts, which I thought I clearly outlined in my original post. Clearly not.

ukfsn and RobertoS provided good information (and ties in with what i am seeing - Enta simply don't have enough bandwidth to go round on the IPSC product). The rest of the posts have been an irrelevant noise i'm sad to say.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Wed 03-Aug-11 23:37:52
Print Post

[re: tweak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tweak:
I had same problem with Plusnet. It appeared that they had set my IP profile at 2Mbps (two) and not 20Mbps (Twenty), thus I got less than 2Mbps download.
Thet did fix it and now I get over 14Mbps.
Check your IP profile with your ISP.

No, I won't be doing that thankyou, as that was _not_ my issue. I'm unable to understand where in my OP it indicated i may have a profile issue, given i'm pretty au-fait with all things DSL related.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to