User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Wed 10-Aug-11 15:36:25
Print Post

1KB and under via usenet at the moment

[link to this post]

I am getting between 0.00KB and 1.00KB, so in other words no speed at all really, through my usenet at the moment. Anyone else getting this ? Not sure why. HTTP seems fine.
Standard User Adam3k
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-11 20:57:25
Print Post

Re: 1KB and under via usenet at the moment

[re: BlizzardUK] [link to this post]

We have seen a drop is throughput across all our Enta client base, and even on our ADSL2+ network with BE.

This has since returned to normal, but people streaming news channels has resulted in addational traffic for providers. (Enta advised)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FirstGroupDynamics Bonded WBC 22.7Mbps Download & 2.2Mbps Upload. Transit provided by Level3
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 10-Aug-11 23:03:29
Print Post

[re: Adam3k] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adam3k:
We have seen a drop is throughput across all our Enta client base, and even on our ADSL2+ network with BE.

This has since returned to normal, but people streaming news channels has resulted in addational traffic for providers. (Enta advised)
I've seen the same advice elsewhere re other ISPs. I think the riots are causing a huge amount of streaming traffic from people wanting to see what is going on.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Wed 17-Aug-11 17:18:53
Print Post

Feel lucky you're getting anything at all.

During 8am-8pm, I can get no article bodies at all in text groups from any news server, even Enta's own.

Enta insist that there is nothing wrong in their network, yet the fault cleared for me between 12th July and about 9th August but has now returned.

When this happens I can get headers and get OVER information, however article bodies leave the server but are dropped somewhere between there and my machines.

Very annoying!

--

Brian

UKFSN via Entanet

Edited by rippedcotton (Wed 17-Aug-11 17:19:43)

Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Mon 22-Aug-11 23:18:22
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

i am getting sick of this. What is the point of me being a office customer with 90gb if I can't download anything. All through the day I had a [censored] 1KB or nothing at all via NNTP. So I can't even use my peak rate amount. Even now at 11pm I am getting only 100KB. But I can't belive that during the day it often refuses to even connect. I wanted to view a TXT file and of only 6KB and it took 2 hours to show, CRAZY !! They must be throttling P2P/Usenet during the daytime, guess I will have to downgrade my package if this keeps up.

Now I hear Freeola has a 7pm off peak start, even better than the 8pm office rate that I pay extra for. Oh the joys of Enta.

Edited by BlizzardUK (Mon 22-Aug-11 23:18:50)

Standard User andew
(member) Tue 23-Aug-11 15:46:08
Print Post

news.enta.net is working fine for me, on a office 45 connection at the moment.

Below is a traceroute of my connection

2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 84-45-170-193.static.enta.net [84.45.170.193]
3 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms lns14.the.dsl.enta.net [188.39.0.14]
4 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms gi1-4.the.dist.dsl.enta.net [188.39.0.13]
5 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms te2-2.telehouse-east3.dsl.enta.net [78.33.141.81
]
6 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms te5-2.telehouse-east.core.enta.net [62.249.192.1
21]
7 15 ms 14 ms 14 ms news.enta.net [81.31.101.51]

My connection at home is similiar to above apart from the first 2 enta entries

3 lns12.the.dsl.enta.net (188.39.0.6) 13.037 ms 15.925 ms 16.087 ms
4 gi1-2.the.dist.dsl.enta.net (188.39.0.5) 13.797 ms 14.375 ms 14.595 ms

Maybe we can work out whats different and causing the slow speeds etc.
Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Tue 23-Aug-11 16:59:22
Print Post

[re: andew] [link to this post]

I have an open tech support ticket on this at present, it seems to be that they're currently looking deeply into my Radius profile. So far no news.

I am seeing a lot of reports of this, well when I say a lot I think this thread adds another 2 people to the 4 or 5 that I know of within the UKFSN customer base.

In my case I can do everything except to read an article, the server responds with the 220 message and article number and ID, then no packets arrive after that.

Throttling for sure. And even more bizarre that someone of the business tariff is affected during the day, surely they're paying for priority at that time. For me I have the problem from exactly 8am to exactly 8pm, so it's got to be the router filtering that is doing it.

Please lodge a tech support ticket, otherwise they will continue to deny that it's widespread. I wonder what percentage of Enta customers use any news server?

--

Brian

UKFSN via Entanet
Standard User andew
(member) Tue 23-Aug-11 17:27:13
Print Post

I have tried accessing news.enta.net from a selection of our customers enta connections.

Appears to be fine on both home and office products with 20CN people going thru the slough node, and 21CN people going thru bristol.

Wondering if its particular 21CN//IPSEC connection issue.

Andrew
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Aug-11 19:52:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by rippedcotton:
I wonder what percentage of Enta customers use any news server?
Pretty low I would have thought!
I haven't used Usenet myself since the 90's. None or the couple of dozen Enta users I support would have heard of it!

Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Tue 23-Aug-11 20:22:50
Print Post

[re: andew] [link to this post]

I use Astraweb and not Enta's own, due to the high retention that Astraweb gives. I only used to have this problem during Wimbledon as I could expect that due to everyone watching the tennis online. But for the last few days I have had either 1KB or ZERO on Astraweb during the day, it starts to speed up as the evening gets later. But I am paying for the office package for 90gb, which is proving totally pointless now.

I am hoping it is a temp thing, but if they are throttling on purpose then why so drastic ?

Lets try and see though if it is just Astraweb. Anyone here got Giganews to test ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to