User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Fri 21-Oct-11 11:42:57
Print Post

Seems a bit slow for me recently. Advice required.

[link to this post]

Have a Business 45 connection, used to get 6.5Mbps but lately its just [censored], I have the broadband connection shared between 3 PC's and its abysmal. Any ideas why its so damn slow recently.
Its like 2 years ago when everyone started leaving due to slow speeds again.

Date 21/10/11 11:26:19
Speed Down 1820.03 Kbps ( 1.8 Mbps )
Speed Up 669.66 Kbps ( 0.7 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest2.thinkbroadband.com

ADSL Fast Path
Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 8128Kb 832Kb

Noise Margin 16 15

Output power(dBm) 124 160

Attenuation(dB) 9 4
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-11 12:28:12
Print Post

Re: Seems a bit slow for me recently. Advice required.

[re: borguk1of9] [link to this post]

Have you checked your current IP Profile?

Also, what Entanet node are you on?

Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Fri 21-Oct-11 13:06:50
Print Post

Re: Seems a bit slow for me recently. Advice required. UKFSN

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Well it appears Manchester ? When I live 1 hour south of Birmingham.

However running a BT Speedtest throughs up this.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1511 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps

Which means there is something wrong as I only live 300m from the exchange as the crow flies.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Fri 21-Oct-11 13:25:56
Print Post

Spoke to Enta Customer support, something odd going on at the BT end, steady 8k connection, 7mb profile until recently. Had some noise on the line at some point and they dropped my IP profile to 0.5mb for a bit and now raised it to 2mb.

However the Enta guy could see no reason for this as the line is steady, he has raised a fault with BT.
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Oct-11 13:26:51
Print Post

Looks like you have a profile issue, raise it with your reseller, they will look (or at least should) at the stability of your line and if the line is stable and has been for at least 5 days it's a profile issue, if the line is unstable (and that would include you rebooting the router) then they would need to look at what is causing the stability issue.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Oct-11 13:26:51
Print Post

Looks like you have a profile issue, raise it with your reseller, they will look (or at least should) at the stability of your line and if the line is stable and has been for at least 5 days it's a profile issue, if the line is unstable (and that would include you rebooting the router) then they would need to look at what is causing the stability issue.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User drogon
(regular) Fri 21-Oct-11 16:06:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by borguk1of9:
Spoke to Enta Customer support, something odd going on at the BT end, steady 8k connection, 7mb profile until recently. Had some noise on the line at some point and they dropped my IP profile to 0.5mb for a bit and now raised it to 2mb.

However the Enta guy could see no reason for this as the line is steady, he has raised a fault with BT.

Good luck with that. All I can suggest is to not let them give up on it.

I had a stuck bRAS profile recently - caused when BT did a re-provision on my line to for some reason only known to them. My solid 8Mb line for the past many years synced at 8Mb but had a bRAS profile of 2Mb. I only found out about it as I'm an Enta reseller and checked my own line stats and saw the profile.. What happend next was a catalogue of total disasters - Keep the line up for 72 hours - did that, (even though we could plainly see my modem syncing at 8Mb and I have graphs of it too for the past year) Then at the 73rd hour, as I was on the phone to Enta (via their own free VoIP service, naturally), they decided to disconnect the line - duh. So to say I was [censored] off was a bit of an understatement. It took another week to get it sorted - the line profile did not magically come back, and in the end I was completely cut-off for 4 days, and had a BT engineer come on-site, even though it was a completely useless thing to have had happen.

Now... I do know (from several other sources) that that particular problem is a hard one to make BT realise what's actually wrong and what to do to fix it - however, I understand it's a trivial operation on BTs part, but BT seemingly make it really really hard for their resellers to do this operation now and getthings restored. I still do not have an adequate explanation as to why I lost service for 4 days. I also lost faith in Entanets ability to adequately track issues and problems and get BT to fix things.

BT is the only ADSL wholesaler who have this bRAS profile mechanis AIUI. Why they persist with it is anyones guess.

Anyway, good luck and Illegitimi non carborundum as they say ...
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-11 16:42:10
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by drogon:
... I only found out about it as I'm an Enta reseller and checked my own line stats and saw the profile ...

Blimey - that didn't sound good!

NB. You don't have to be a reseller to keep up with things.
I monitor my line using RoutStats religiously - so I always know if things are going pear-shaped.

If the OP has only just got their normal sync speed back then the normal 'up to 5 days' but often faster rule still applies if they are on standard 20CN ADSL smile

Standard User drogon
(regular) Fri 21-Oct-11 16:49:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by b4dger:
... I only found out about it as I'm an Enta reseller and checked my own line stats and saw the profile ...

Blimey - that didn't sound good!

NB. You don't have to be a reseller to keep up with things.
I monitor my line using RoutStats religiously - so I always know if things are going pear-shaped.

If the OP has only just got their normal sync speed back then the normal 'up to 5 days' but often faster rule still applies if they are on standard 20CN ADSL smile

I don't have an issue extracting and graphing stats from my Vigor 120 modem, what I'd never have known was that my bRAS profile has stuck at 2Mb. (Although I'd have called the ISP to see why) My line was syncing at 8Mb and hadn't had a blip for 2 weeks prior to that when BT did their thing in the exchange. (It's in the BT install notes on my account as a VC REGRADE - which I undestand BT do from time to time to balance things at the exchange, but why they moved me onto a line with a bRAS profile stuck at 2Mb is anyones guess)

So for 2 whole weeks it has stuck at 2Mb, then I had to wait another 3 days - which made no difference at all. The whole BT process sucks.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-11 17:17:40
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

The whole BT process sucks.

Yep -
sounds like the 21CN people may now have a better system after BRAS Quantisation earlier this month. But those of us stuck with 20CN are stuffed frown

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to