User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Mon 24-Oct-11 18:56:11
Print Post

Are heavy downloaders put on Slough node ?

[link to this post]

I have got a poor 80KB or under for most of today, quite often around 30KB, and it has been like this for various days. If I look at the graph of nodes (in link below) it shows Slough, the one I am on, at max, yet all the others are only half or 3/4 of the way through. Why so heavily maxed on Slough ? I agree I am a heavy user but during the day is my paid for allowance time. So are we all pushed on to this "naughty pipe" or something ? It is just bugging me that daytimes are often so slow, on Slough node at least.

http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/enta-centrals.shtml

Edited by BlizzardUK (Mon 24-Oct-11 18:56:38)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Oct-11 19:06:29
Print Post

Re: Are heavy downloaders put on Slough node ?

[re: BlizzardUK] [link to this post]

Nodes: It's all based on your physical location these days - it's not like the old 'pipes'.

So you aren't being singled out smile

EDIT: Nice link! wink

Edited by b4dger (Mon 24-Oct-11 19:07:02)

Standard User Lazza
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Oct-11 13:29:17
Print Post

[re: BlizzardUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BlizzardUK:
I have got a poor 80KB or under for most of today, quite often around 30KB, and it has been like this for various days. If I look at the graph of nodes (in link below) it shows Slough, the one I am on, at max, yet all the others are only half or 3/4 of the way through. Why so heavily maxed on Slough ? I agree I am a heavy user but during the day is my paid for allowance time. So are we all pushed on to this "naughty pipe" or something ? It is just bugging me that daytimes are often so slow, on Slough node at least.

http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/enta-centrals.shtml

Not just you, I recently moved back to the dark side of an Entanet based ISP in Freeola and I am seeing exactly the same as you during the daytime and I am on Colindale. Saw it from the very first afternoon of service, it then clears aprox before 19:00 in the evening. It has been like this EVERY single weekday since joining. Lucky if I can get 100k d/l speed most of the time, pathetic and unusable.

I was told it was either down to my equipment or BT - Yeah right! Funny thing was after the first day Enta admited there was a problem and said the fixed it, then they say there is no problem anymore. Needless to say experiment over and back to the sublime A&A from tomorrow and I guarantee I will be back to full line speed 24/7 and actually use a service that is fit for purpose at all times.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Oct-11 14:08:14
Print Post

[re: Lazza] [link to this post]

Needless to say experiment over and back to the sublime A&A from tomorrow and I guarantee I will be back to full line speed 24/7 and actually use a service that is fit for purpose at all times.
tongue
And the price difference is?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User borguk1of9
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-11 09:02:23
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

The funny thing is I live near Hereford, Birmingham is my nearest node 45 mins drive north however they have me on Manchester which is 2.5 hours drive north away.

So I have to wonder why and will it affect such things as ping times ?
Standard User Lazza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Oct-11 12:55:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Needless to say experiment over and back to the sublime A&A from tomorrow and I guarantee I will be back to full line speed 24/7 and actually use a service that is fit for purpose at all times.
tongue

None at all really for my genaral useage. So long as you schedule downloading between 2:00->6:00 AM which frankly is no biggie whatsoever. I fancied more daytime use hence the change but lesson learned very quickly

And shock horror, I cannot believe it! After sub 56k speeds this morning with EntaNot I reconnect to AAISP and back to full line speed of 6M. Well I never would have guessed. tongue

Edited by Lazza (Wed 26-Oct-11 12:57:17)

Standard User ionic
(experienced) Wed 26-Oct-11 15:21:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Worth it.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-11 16:30:04
Print Post

Be careful how you use that 6MB during the day though! tongue

I like AAISP's CS reputation etc. but unless you only use your ADSL 'off peak' their pricing just doesn't work.

I've just had a play with their Pricing Calculator: http://aa.net.uk/broadband-prices.html (NB doesn't seem to work with IE8).

Picking 40GB peak (my current peak package + unlimited off-peak) allowance comes out at around £140 per month!
I currently use around 30GB during the day throughout the month - so that comes out at over £100 against the £19.99 I'm currently paying...

So for those that use their connection during the day I can't see how AAISP will work.
In your experience it seems whether you're with Enta or AA you have issues with day time internet wink

Standard User Lazza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Oct-11 18:14:03
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Be careful how you use that 6MB during the day though! tongue

I like AAISP's CS reputation etc. but unless you only use your ADSL 'off peak' their pricing just doesn't work.

I've just had a play with their Pricing Calculator: http://aa.net.uk/broadband-prices.html (NB doesn't seem to work with IE8).

Picking 40GB peak (my current peak package + unlimited off-peak) allowance comes out at around £140 per month!
I currently use around 30GB during the day throughout the month - so that comes out at over £100 against the £19.99 I'm currently paying...

So for those that use their connection during the day I can't see how AAISP will work.
In your experience it seems whether you're with Enta or AA you have issues with day time internet wink

I understand what you are saying but I think sometimes we kid ourselves how much we actually need during the day, I know I have in the past. I use my line for most of the day with web browsing, email etc and have no problem in using under 2 units per month. Don't forget that AAISP's peak hours are a very reasonable 9-6 week days only. So after 6 I can d/l pretty much all of my needs and far more importantly for me stream live sport etc.Between 2-6 AM it's as good as unlimited so any heavy d/l can be easily done via d/l manager. All weekend is off peak too and they offer the best part of 2 weeks unlimited use over Chrimbo/New Year. £23.90 covers all that for me. smile

Best of all it just plain works and as you highlighted the CS is sublime.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-11 18:21:48
Print Post

Talking of 'unit's will lose most people! smile

All I know is I (and my family) often use 3GB or so in a day - with AAISP (to me) that looks like bad news!

But glad to hear you are happy with your move smile

Print Thread

Jump to