User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukfsnuser
(newbie) Wed 08-Feb-12 21:22:51
Print Post

UKFSN Disconnects and drop in download speed

[link to this post]

I've been experiencing some odd behaviour with my UKFSN connection for the last four or five days.

When my router has been connected for around three hours continuously it drops the connection and will not reconnect unless I switch the router off completely and restart it.

Prior to the disconnect my download speed is circa 3200 (Kbit/sec) however, when it reconnects the download speed is only 1920 (Kbit/sec).

Is this a fault with my router or is UKFSN kicking me off for being connected too long?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Feb-12 23:00:21
Print Post

Re: UKFSN Disconnects and drop in download speed

[re: ukfsnuser] [link to this post]

Is the router getting very hot?

You are not being kicked off for being connected too long. Many people stay connected for months.

Did you get any new electrical or electronic kit when this started, (including replacements of something you already had), or move things around?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User drogon
(regular) Thu 09-Feb-12 10:12:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukfsnuser:
I've been experiencing some odd behaviour with my UKFSN connection for the last four or five days.

When my router has been connected for around three hours continuously it drops the connection and will not reconnect unless I switch the router off completely and restart it.

Prior to the disconnect my download speed is circa 3200 (Kbit/sec) however, when it reconnects the download speed is only 1920 (Kbit/sec).

Is this a fault with my router or is UKFSN kicking me off for being connected too long?

While I know that it's possible for an Entanet reseller to force a line-drop (I'm an Entanet reseller myself), it's highly unlikely that UKFSN is doing this to you - I've never had to do it on a clients line - there's really no need to do it - unless you're debugging something or... (well, I don't really know what, but I have had entanet staff drop my line while on a VoIP call to them to try to fix something else - Duh!)

What's more likely to be the issue is your own router/modem device. Overheating, getting old (cheap PSUs sometimes have problems). Less likely is a local line fault - does it happen when cold, (or when it thaws), when it's windy, etc. The fact that you have to power cycle the router also makes me suspicious of it - but do make sure it's got the latest firmware, etc.

G

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukfsnuser
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 19:31:02
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

Thanks to both who replied.

No new or changed electrical or electronics equipment and nothing moved around.

My router doesn't appear to be getting hot or overheating however, it is very old, I can't remember when I bought it but it was when I moved from dial up!

No debugging or downloading taking place, merely browsing, checking email, etc.

The only thing that has changed is the weather, it's freezing outside, maybe that's affecting the 'phone line?

It seems odd that the connection drops and when I reconnect it's at a much slower speed though.

Thanks again for your input.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 19:36:29
Print Post

You haven't had anything telling you your exchange is being upgraded and your line would be upgraded soon after, have you? It could be that you are now on an ADSL2+ line and your router just can't cope. What speed did you get before the problems started?

Which exchange is it, and what make and model of router? Is it on the drop-down list here? If so, please can you see if you can post the line stats?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User ukfsnuser
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 20:48:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for looking into this further.

I've had no notification regarding the upgrading of my exchange or line.

Speeds have been similar to those shown below, they only drop after a disconnect, if I turn the router off for a few minutes the speed normally resets to the higher speed again.

The router I'm using is a Thompson Speedtouch 510 with software version 4.2.7.16.0

My exchange is Kesgrave.

Line stats:

ADSL over POTS
sync speed up/down 672/3104
Atten (dB) up/down 29.5/41.0
SNR Margin 11.0/14.5

Thanks again for your time and assistance.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 21:59:00
Print Post

Not easy getting relevant info from googling it, though I have found a user manual.

Can you tell us which UKFSN package you are on please? I suspect my earlier post is correct and that you are now on an ADSL2+ conenction that your router doesn't support.

Can you look at the PDF page 47 of the manual, and perhaps just before and after, which is page 38 area of the manual, and specifically can you get to the page in your router that corresponds to Section 4.4.2 DSL Connection Details.

What does your router say the modulation is? I expect it to be the same as that page, but would like you to check.

The combination of that info and your UKFSN package may help.

Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Feb-12 22:05:01
Print Post

I'd go direct to Enta support. Having raised a ticket with UKFSN on 2/1/12, I found out this afternoon that Enta had no knowledge of the performance issues that are currently present on my line. Not Happy!

I notice your down attenuation is 41.0db
Mine is 40.7 but I get a sync of 6144 which is still below what it should be.

Have a chat with Enta support, it's worth a try

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed My Broadband Speed Test
Market 1 (IPSC) - a BT group investment NOT Spot
VP status Yellow - About time BTw rewarded us for our over priced 8 meg crawl with some investment!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 22:13:02
Print Post

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

I think he could be on an ADSL2+ connection with a router that doesn't support it. The Package that he is on may tell us, as the upload indicates it isn't ADSL. It could be Max Premium or the equivalent on IPSC, but speculation isn't a lot of use when we can get the package name smile.

I agree the download speed is gruesome, but it could all be inter-related.

Standard User ukfsnuser
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 22:32:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've had a look at the DSL section of my router's information page, unfortunately I can't see anything mentioning modulation, I suspect the router is too old.

My UKFSN package is Family 30.

I hope this is of some help.

Thanks again.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to