User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Thu 29-Mar-12 17:12:55
Print Post

Different IP addresses

[link to this post]

Does Enta (UKFSN in my case) allow different IP addresses ? I have 1 static one, I wondered if more are allowed, and if so, can different PCs on the same router have a different one ? If not, how easy is it just to change an existing static IP to a new one, or move to dynamic ? Just considering options for the future.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Mar-12 17:41:17
Print Post

Re: Different IP addresses

[re: BlizzardUK] [link to this post]

Yes, I'm with Freeola and they do - so I guess your provider will as well smile
Probably best to ask them if they don't mention it on their website...

It's your router that shows/uses your external static IP address, your local PCs can only use IPs on your LAN (either dynamic or ones you allocate).

'As far as I'm aware'

EDIT: After reading http://freeola.com/free-static-ip-address.php it looks like you can use NO-NAT to assign external IPs to individual PCs.
Hopefully someone who knows more than me will come along and explain smile

Edited by b4dger (Thu 29-Mar-12 17:48:35)

Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Mar-12 18:56:16
Print Post

Enta do not do dynamic IP addresses for broadband connections.

Changing IP address is possible if you can justify it.

To get more IP addresses there is a one off charge for IPv4 addresses. There is no charge for IPv6 addresses.

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Thu 29-Mar-12 19:46:59
Print Post

[re: ukfsn] [link to this post]

Thanks.

On this link http://freeola.com/free-static-ip-address.php at the bottom it mentions a NO-NAT option. What I am hoping to do is have all 3 PCs I own in my house to have different IPs, as some websites are fussy about signing up to sites with multiple accounts to one IP. So for instance, if someone else in the house wants to sign up to a site, and another person on their own PC which is on the same router also does too to the same site, then it may kick up a fuss. So the NO NAT sounds a good idea. I am happy to keep this IP, just wanted more to be able to use if need be.

Is this possible with UKFSN ? I am guessing IPv6 should be as good as IPv4, not sure if there is a difference for normal usage.

If this is possible, how would I sort it out ? I am just thinking about it right now, but may want to soon.

Thanks !
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Thu 29-Mar-12 19:47:17
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks. That was a really useful and interesting link, I didn't think it could be done.

Edited by BlizzardUK (Thu 29-Mar-12 19:47:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Mar-12 19:59:03
Print Post

ipv6 very few websites don't use it

Also very very rare to encounter a commercial site that does IP locked registration like you suggest, as with NAT being extremely common this would limit their readership.

The no-nat option is £15 - do double check that this is a one off fee. and using public IP's on a Windows machine is a dangerous move, as you remove one layer of security which is NAT, relying on the software firewall on the PC

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Mar-12 08:26:14
Print Post

Yes it is possible with UKFSN. There is a one off charge for the allocation but no monthly charge. Just email support @ ukfsn requesting the change. We'll reply asking you to confirm (by reply email) and once that is done we'll sort out the allocation.

IPv6 isn't quite as good as IPv4 just yet as it's still not achieved sufficient adoption to be relied upon in the same way.

Do note however that this may not help. As has already been stated sites don't block based upon IP address because NAT is so widespread.

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more
Standard User sthen
(member) Sat 31-Mar-12 08:36:32
Print Post

[re: ukfsn] [link to this post]

The type of sites which don't like multiple accounts from the same ip address will most likely also flag up multiple accounts from nearby addresses..
  Print Thread

Jump to