User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 16:20:06
Print Post

My connection only perhaps ? (website connection problems)

[link to this post]

On some websites it is pausing before loading, sometimes saying "sending request". Sometimes that request will take me to the page in about 5 seconds and load slowly, and other times the page will come back with "not found" or similar, then when I click reload it works. Same just happened with my FTP server. It is just not loading smoothly or quick enough (but many websites ARE). My central of Slough is showing up as full, not sure if this is the reason ? Being on the business package though I should get priority. This also isn't a common problem (only started today I think), so perhaps this is just me and not Enta ? It happens on both my PCs connected to the same router.

I have reset my router 3 times now and it always comes back with the same problem. Is this happening to anyone else today ? Just trying to post this message took me 4 reloads.

Any ideas what this sounds like ? When I ping using command prompt some of the websites I have a problem with the first in the hop says "general failure" with 25% lost. The pings show up as 23ms approx which is quite good, but I think that first failure may be causing it ?

Edited by BlizzardUK (Fri 19-Jul-13 16:27:48)

Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Jul-13 17:01:39
Print Post

Re: My connection only perhaps ? (website connection problem

[re: BlizzardUK] [link to this post]

Do you have the same problem if you hard-set your DNS to say Google's public DNSs (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)?

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 17:06:42
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Hi. How do I do that ? Please let me know and I will give it a test. I tried to flush the DNS. This problem happens on both my PCs, and with all browsers.

Here is what the ping I get for this website (without altering any DNS yet)........

Pinging www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130] with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=54
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=54
Reply from 80.249.99.130: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 80.249.99.130:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 20ms

Edited by BlizzardUK (Fri 19-Jul-13 17:07:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-13 17:26:25
Print Post

Look inside router set-up for 2 x DNS settings and change them as suggested.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 20:23:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

HELP !! I changed the DNS to the Google ones, and it worked the same as before, but now I can't remove them. It says it needs something written in there, but before it was blank. If I remove the Google DNS so the boxes are blank like before the net no longer works. Any ideas ?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-13 20:30:31
Print Post

Is there a drop-down box nearby with 'Obtain from ISP' or 'Auto'? There must be something to allow it to default.

Otherwise, you will have to leave them at Google. they are just as good as before and they are reliable.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BlizzardUK
(member) Fri 19-Jul-13 20:47:30
Print Post

This is the page I am on (see photo). Before it looked like you see in the photo. However now I have to move the pppoA0 across to the left hand side, or have the Google IPs in the DNS section. I set my router to default and even upgraded the firmware, but it still says it needs something there.

What is best I use ? the pppoA0 or the Google info ?

Router Photo

EDIT : Seems the general failure on the ping is due to my firewall Comodo, when I disable it the ping works on all 4 without a failure message. Any ideas how I can configure it to work ? My other PC with Comodo works fine with the pings.

Edited by BlizzardUK (Fri 19-Jul-13 21:53:15)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-13 22:42:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by BlizzardUK:
What is best I use ? the pppoA0 or the Google info ?
From what you say it makes no diff. But if you want it back to how it was, using your ISP's DNS, it looks like you need to tick 'Select DNS from available WAN I/Fs' and choose 'pppoA0'.

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Jul-13 13:20:03
Print Post

Try changing the MTU value on one machine to 1478 and try again. I have seen similar issues with MTU values before just like you are seeing.

Other values to try:

If it all works OK, change the MTU on all the boxes, or if you can, set the MTU value on the router and leave the devices set at default MTU valid.

Nick
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jul-13 13:26:35
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

I'm seeing nowt. I'm not OP.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to