User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-13 22:46:51
Print Post

Vivaciti FTTC - good connection, lousy speeds

[link to this post]

I'm on 80/20 FTTC. BT speed tester says:

IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

The actual speed test is just 22.01 down, 11.33 up, though. It's not just the BT tester; speedtest.net and others are showing very similar figures. Day, evening, night, weekday, weekend, always 20-30 or so (32 down, 15.8 up just now, a few hours after the BT result).

OK, I know these aren't "lousy" speeds compared to any kind of ADSL, but surely from this profile I should be getting better speeds than this, shouldn't I?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Aug-13 23:27:00
Print Post

Re: Vivaciti FTTC - good connection, lousy speeds

[re: JamesS88] [link to this post]

Are you testing the speed wired or wireless between your computer and router? A lot of wireless connections cannot really handle FTTC speeds. You need to use wired for true testing, and even then on older computers and in particular Windows XP there are adjustments you usually need to make.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Tue 20-Aug-13 23:39:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, wired connection (same results on wireless: 802.11n on 5GHz shouldn't be a bottleneck to that extent anyway). Not WinXP - Win8.1 (preview) and OS X.

The IP profile shown is about 20 Mbps *higher* than the line checker predicted, and a fair bit higher than the speeds I saw originally (in fact, isn't this 77/20 the highest possible FTTC profile?) - am I very lucky there, or could it somehow be stuck or misreporting? (The "perfect" profile speed along with poor performance makes me smell a rat about the profile figures.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Aug-13 00:30:18
Print Post

Upstream IP Profile on 80/20 products is always 20Mbs, so don't worry about that one.

Re the downstream, in the text box with the IP Profile is the sync speed. IP Profile should be 96.79% of sync speed.

There's also the possibility that Entanet still use a copy of the IP Profile for internal prevention of packet loss. (They used to on ADSLx a while ago). That should be automatically updated when the BT one changes, but that system often fails, and on Plusnet which does the same it's a common problem.

I don't know whether or not the copy figure is shown in your vivaciti control panel. Go hunt smile. The name may be a bit different (PlusNet call it Current Line speed), but you should recognise it if it's there.

If you find it and it is clearly far too low, or if you don't find it, your first thing to try is to disconnect/close the PPP session from your router. There's probably a button in the GUI, possibly under WAN, but if there isn't then turning the router off is fine. Or just unplug it from the Openreach modem. Leave the Openreach modem connected for any of the above methods.

Wait 15 minutes to make it likely the PPP session has dropped and been noticed by the Entanet system. That's a sort of "out of the air" figure, but there are reasons for it. Then reconnect the router. This starts a new PPP session and here's a fair chance that will trigger an update of the Entanet copy.

If there is no improvement after that, it's time to contact support.

Edit - If there aren't a lot of users on your FTTC cabinet speeds are often far higher than the estimate. It tends to drop as more users are added, and can do sharp drops. It doesn't often go below the estimate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 21-Aug-13 00:32:59)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Aug-13 10:26:19
Print Post

I can see your ticket in the queue from 11pm last night, and it looks like one of the engineers now has this and will reply shortly.

It looks like yo have been with us a while, so can you let me know when this started.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 11:27:05
Print Post

There's no sync speed shown on the BT test, just the profile speed (and "Max Achievable Speed", which is the same figure, 77.43 Mbps, plus an "acceptable range" of 16-77.43 Mbps.). This is from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ - are you thinking of another test facility?

Vivaciti don't have a control panel for FTTC, only for ADSL ("According to our records you are not subscribed to a package that supports this page.") so I can't get any figures there except by asking support, who are now looking into this from the other end.

I took the PPP link down for 15 minutes then reconnected; same IP profile shown by BT speedtest, slower downstream and very slightly slower upstream speed test results (22.51 and 14.74 respectively).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Aug-13 22:18:21
Print Post

You're right. They've taken it out again. All part of the user-friendly attitude that says we aren't going to give you any information that lets you challenge the first-line script-monkeys.

Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Sat 24-Aug-13 10:52:13
Print Post

BT's usual helpful selves - particularly irritating with FTTC where that's the only access you get to your own sync speed, except by asking the ISP to peer down the far end of the pipe to see!

The sync speed's fine, though (confirmed Enta are seeing the same profile BT are showing me); I tried changing to the BT test user, but that wouldn't connect for some reason (maybe not available on FTTC, or a different setup there?).

Still, a 30Mbps bottleneck is nothing compared to my current situation: the link's been choked down to dialup speeds! Presumably I hit the peak-time traffic limit yesterday evening (no way of seeing the traffic used, besides opening support tickets to ask). I opened a ticket last night asking to get that fixed (enabling the excess billing option, if that's still available), but nothing yet frown
  Print Thread

Jump to