User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:47:47
Print Post

30 days' notice - transferring using MAC

[link to this post]

Has anyone migrated from Entanet FTTC recently using a MAC?

My 12 months is up at the end of September (3rd of October I think), and I want to move (to A&A FTTC) then. Once I submit the order, it takes "about 5 working days", but I won't get a specific date for transfer.

Obviously, I want to avoid any overlap, being stuck paying two ISPs for one service. Can I give the 30 days notice starting now (well, next week to be precise), then request and use a MAC at the end of September, so they've had the 30 days notice? Someone said the time starts ticking when the MAC is requested - and since they are only valid for 30 days, I would have to place the new order before the 30 days are up to avoid it expiring.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:58:19
Print Post

Re: 30 days' notice - transferring using MAC

[re: JamesS88] [link to this post]

You have a common slight misunderstanding smile.

The 30-days validity of the MAC is from the date it is issued by Openreach to Enta, who normally pass it on to you immediately, to the date the new ISP submits a migration order to Openreach accompanied by the MAC you gave them. That's usually the day you order from the ISP, as long as you give them the MAC.

The migration itself doesn't need to happen within 30 days of issue. It is often much later.

The trouble with giving notice early is if Openreach renege on the promised migration date. It is happening quite a lot these days. So then your existing service gets cut off because your 30 days notice expires so the contract ends.

Don't Enta still refund unused parts of the subscription as long as something like 10 days has elapsed since the MAC is issued? If they do, you don't get overlap anyway.

Edit - I think it may be it was that if the migration is more than 30 days after the MAC issue they just charge you the next month at the normal time, then refund when it happens, because the 30-day notice started by you asking for the MAC has been completed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 26-Aug-13 18:01:43)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Aug-13 17:59:19
Print Post

[re: JamesS88] [link to this post]

FWIW My first point of call would be my reseller! smile

I checked your TBB profile to see who you were with and it has Virgin as your ISP... tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-13 20:44:31
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
FWIW My first point of call would be my reseller! smile

I will, once they re-open after the three day weekend and remove the 128kbps cap (I hit the usage limit on Friday afternoon, since there's no usage information except asking for manual checks - and no way to buy a topup either, since that's processed manually!)

I checked your TBB profile to see who you were with and it has Virgin as your ISP... tongue

Oops, 11 months out of date there, I switched to Vivaciti's Office 15 80/20 Entanet FTTC last October. Fixed now, thanks for pointing that out!

Thinking back, I was very glad of the overlap when I switched from Virgin cable to FTTC, since Openreach botched the first two attempts (paperwork error, then engineer no-show). Not really an option with FTTC-to-FTTC of course.
  Print Thread

Jump to