User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CaptainJack
(member) Mon 07-Oct-13 14:46:36
Print Post

Disappointed with Enta/Vivaciti

[link to this post]

Have been with Vivaciti since July 2013 and, although I live pretty much next to the exchange, the download speeds varied heavily depending on day, time of day and prevalent weather conditions.

During a weekday I am lucky to get over 3Mbit (I sync at 8Mbit), although mornings are OK. More often than not, I struggle to get a decent connection at all - a number of lost packets are prevalent. I have tried three different ADSL routers and all are the same.

Look at this graph. A single download thread is just 1Mbit! Why?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

My exchange is getting upgraded to 21CN at the end of this morning and if this erratic behaviour doesn't improve, it's goodbye from me.

I am on an office connection and the router is plugged directly into the master socket with no extensions connected.

----
Vivaciti (Enta) ADSL Max 8Mbit

Edited by CaptainJack (Mon 07-Oct-13 14:49:22)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 17:15:59
Print Post

Re: Disappointed with Enta/Vivaciti

[re: CaptainJack] [link to this post]

Hi,
Have you logged this with us to look at if so when and what's the ticket number so I can take a look.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
(member) Mon 07-Oct-13 22:11:00
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Yes, ticket 804133, though this post has received a reply quicker than support at Vivaciti.

----

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Oct-13 09:14:58
Print Post

It's worth checking your IP Profile is right for your sync (using BT's tester: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) which will help to see where the problem could be.

Then assuming your line is healthy I would see which IPSC node you are connected to. Instructions and node usage here: www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/enta-centrals.shtml
Some nodes are busier than others at certain times of day which may explain the slowdown.

Edited by b4dger (Tue 08-Oct-13 09:16:47)

(member) Tue 08-Oct-13 09:39:30
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks b4dger.

My BT speed test, right now, is 7.07 down and 0.7 up, ping of 40ms. IP profile is 7150.

I am on Kingston IPSC node - not a high bandwidth user so no ALT enabled. Looks like this node is one of the most loaded one, though at 81(%?), it still has some capacity left.

Is it possible to be moved to another, less loaded one? Or will I be automatically moved to another one after my exchange goes 21CN at the end of this month?

----

Edited by CaptainJack (Tue 08-Oct-13 10:04:03)

(member) Tue 08-Oct-13 13:13:36
Print Post

Wow - Kingston is at 95% now. No wonder I get issues.

Still not a peep from Vivaciti support though frown

----
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Oct-13 13:16:40
Print Post

Hi, Kingston is 95% at the moment - so quite a busy node at this time of day.
NB. The ALT system has been suspended for quite a while now, so no need to worry about that.

Unfortunately you don't get any choice of node - a bit of a weak point really.
I guess you will end up on the Kingston WBC node when you move - but you'll need to re-check just to make sure.

At least with your short line you should see very impressive speeds on 21CN - hopefully even when busy you will have a decent connection.

EDIT: I was typing when you posted your last reply smile

Edited by b4dger (Tue 08-Oct-13 13:20:28)

(member) Tue 08-Oct-13 13:38:40
Print Post

Yeah, it is. I assume this is the same issue with other Enta providers such as Aquiss?

Also, I would have thought that I would be put on a closest to me node - Bristol in my case for 21CN.

Well, all I can do is wait and see what it's like later as the connection really is quite frustrating at various times of the day. Considering I work from home most of the time, I *need* a good internet connection.

----
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Oct-13 19:00:55
Print Post

A couple of encouraging points smile.

First, it did seem from ADSL24 research at the time Entanet went WBC (21CN), that BT routing from exchanges to nodes is at the DSLAM/MSAN level. Your move to WBC means you will be connected to a different MSAN at the exchange, so you may go to a different node.

Second, and more important, IPSC and WBC nodes even at the same location are completely independent in terms of loading. They are different MSILs. I expect at some stage the backhaul to Enta routers is merged but that's a different thing altogether.

At the moment Kingston IPSC is showing 91%, and Kingston WBC is showing 59%.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Oct-13 19:10:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not like you...
I don't think you meant to reply to me?

I wish I was moving to WBC!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to