User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Johnmcl7
(newbie) Sat 09-Nov-13 02:48:26
Print Post

No internet connection with Freeola (Entanet connection)

[link to this post]

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, it's pretty late but wanted to get a post in as I've been trying to sort an ADSL issue with no luck and it doesn't seem to make sense to me. The person I was trying to help uses Freeola as an ISP which I'm assuming by their login is provided by Entanet. The situation is:

- roadworks accidentally cut the cable to the cabinet, all users lost phone and internet
- connection repaired, all users got their phone/connection back, my friend did get phone but no internet
- they disconnected everything and put the router in the test socket, no change
- they replaced the router with another, configured it with help from the ISP, no change

The router appears to work as normal up to a point, on startup the dsl light flashes and then goes solid which according to the status page it's syncing at around 5Mb/s which is about right as it's a rural area. I kept an eye on it but never saw it dropping sync and retrying.

Usually I'd expect this to be a configuration issue but I went through the ADSL settings and they looked fine, the fact that the old router just suddenly stopped working and the external line was damaged give some credit to the thought it could be a line issue. The microfilters have been changed and the call quality on a phone plugged into the microfilter seems fine, there's no background noise at all.

I'm puzzled as I expected the ADSL sync to be failing or completely unstable but neither are the case. I can't check the settings on the previous router as they don't know the password, both the old and new are TP-link and the new one didn't seem to show anything useful in diagnostics or its logs. The logs show 'netMakeChannDial: err-3000 rn_p=805509a0' but I've found people who have this error and the connection is working fine. The diagnostics show the following:

Testing Ethernet LAN Connection - Pass
Testing ADSL synchronisation - Pass
Testing ATM OAM segment ping - Pass
Testing ATM OAM end to end ping - Pass
Testing ATM OAM F4 Segment ping - Fail
Testing ATM OAM F4 end to end ping - Pass
Ping primary DNS - Fail
ping www.yahoo.com - Fail

On looking up this error the fail doesn't seem relevant either because again I found people with that error and who had a working internet connection.

Entanet are meant to be monitoring the connection tonight, BT have said the line is showing fine from their end and if they come out to check the house wiring then it's a £200 charge (or similar).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Nov-13 09:45:54
Print Post

Re: No internet connection with Freeola (Entanet connection)

[re: Johnmcl7] [link to this post]

I would check that the phone line is the correct number just to make sure things have been repaired correctly - i.e. phone the number from a mobile. Two of my neighbours recently had problems when BT swapped their numbers round!

I would try the original router again as it would be quite a coincidence if this failed at the same time as the line was cut. Assuming no one has changed the ADSL settings it would be interesting to see what this reports.

If you are getting a sync is your router's 'internet' or PPP light on?

I'm a Freeola customer and a long while back the ADSL login details in MyFreeola were displayed in the wrong format for some users, is this where the details came from? That's why using the original router is worth another try in case it's just the login that's failing.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Nov-13 10:03:06
Print Post

Check the logs to see if they are reporting anything, also change the username to: bt_test@startup_domain and see if the router connects and gets an IP address (you wont be able to surf the internet with those login details, it is just a test login) when you have done that let us know what the outcome is and also what settings you have in the router to see if anything shows out.
It sounds like a PPP issue.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Johnmcl7
(newbie) Sat 09-Nov-13 10:55:07
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks for the prompt reply.

In reply to a post by b4dger:
I would check that the phone line is the correct number just to make sure things have been repaired correctly - i.e. phone the number from a mobile. Two of my neighbours recently had problems when BT swapped their numbers round!

I never thought of checking that, it's a very good suggestion so I'll ask them to make sure their phone number is correct

I would try the original router again as it would be quite a coincidence if this failed at the same time as the line was cut. Assuming no one has changed the ADSL settings it would be interesting to see what this reports.

I did try the original router although annoyingly they couldn't remember the admin password for it however it appeared to be doing exactly the same, the DSL light would flash, go solid but then the internet light didn't come on either.

If you are getting a sync is your router's 'internet' or PPP light on?

No, it didn't come up on either router and on the second one when I logged in it showed the PPP session as down.

I'm a Freeola customer and a long while back the ADSL login details in MyFreeola were displayed in the wrong format for some users, is this where the details came from? That's why using the original router is worth another try in case it's just the login that's failing.

I wasn't able to check that setting but the person said they'd been through it with Freeola support so I'm assuming that part is fine as normally in this situation my thought would be their login is wrong.

John
Standard User Johnmcl7
(newbie) Sat 09-Nov-13 11:11:50
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
Check the logs to see if they are reporting anything, also change the username to: bt_test@startup_domain and see if the router connects and gets an IP address (you wont be able to surf the internet with those login details, it is just a test login) when you have done that let us know what the outcome is and also what settings you have in the router to see if anything shows out.
It sounds like a PPP issue.

Thanks also for the prompt reply, it's much appreciated.

I did try what I thought was the BT test login but I think it's the wrong one I tried, I was on the phone to someone with an internet connection and they gave me the details bt_test_user@startup_domain which I see is the first result on Google. This didn't work but now I'm worried that it wouldn't work anyway as it's the wrong one.

The logs were showing the following:

Quick Bridge not allow multi-channel
bridge only stop
SNMP Trap 3: Link up
netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0

I've had a look for this error and found people who had exactly the same one but their connection was working so I'm not sure if it's a just a red herring.

I'm kicking myself now as I didn't take screenshots of their settings, I checked what I thought were the obvious ones - the router was set to PPPOA/PPPOE (rather than dynamic IP address, static IP address or Bridging mode), the VPI was 0, the VCI 38 and the connection type was set to PPPoA VCMUX (or something similar to that). I haven't used the BT test login for a while but I assume it should just be a case of changing the username, deleting the password and nothing else?

John
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Nov-13 13:38:58
Print Post

As it's likely the phone is a "BT" line, dialling 17070 will start with "This circuit is defined as number".

Re the ADSL login, did you re-enter the details in the old router? If so, are you using a zero or letter O where the other should be there? Also upper and lower case matters.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Nov-13 13:41:49)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Nov-13 14:59:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As it's likely the phone is a "BT" line, dialling 17070 will start with "This circuit is defined as number".
Or dial 1470 17070 to be certain in case Number Withheld.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Johnmcl7
(newbie) Sat 09-Nov-13 20:42:16
Print Post

Update

I've spoken with the person again today and got them to check the phone number, unfortunately it is the correct number as it seemed to fit the symptoms and would have been a straightforward issue to resolve.

The service provider phoned back and said their testing showed a line fault so they're going to speak to BT to get an engineer to come out and have a look so will wait and see what happens next.

John
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Nov-13 21:19:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Johnmcl7:
£200 charge (or similar).

This always annoys me. If nothing has changed in the house, then the house is not a problem and just tell them to go ahead as it is highly unlikely there will be a bill. I think this is just one of the ways of trying to stop people complaining.

In this particular case, the problem is almost definitely to do with the cable damage.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
Standard User freeola
(member) Thu 14-Nov-13 09:44:51
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

I think BT call out charges are not welcome by many, certainly not us, but we have to warn customers about them. If we don't tell you there is/maybe a charge then it wouldn't really be fair to you.
Johnmcl7, I take it you are dealing with our support people? If you are then if you PM me a ticket reference of something I can have a poke around and see if I can help. It certainly seems to be something outside your control from the problem you have described.

Freeola
http://freeola.com - Broadband, Hosting & Instant Sites - Support
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to