User comments on ISPs
  >> Entanet International Ltd.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 13:53:05
Print Post

Entanet FTTC

[link to this post]

My olde worlde Exchange is due to be upgraded to FTTC later this year under the BDUK scheme smile

My plan is to try to stay with Freeola as my ISP who I am happy with and use for their hosting services.

I've started to read about Enta's FTTC pricing and usage and it doesn't appear to be all that competitive. Does anyone here have an Enta FTTC connection that they can comment on?

www.enta.net/Data-Connectivity/Broadband/fibre-broadband/
The basic Enta FTTC connection only has a 2Mbps upload which seems a bit stingy - even standard BT FTTC will better that!

The ins and outs of daytime capacity over the years have been well documented here. I was hoping that the days of seeing daytime slowdowns as the nodes were busy would be over - but I've been watching a Twitter conversation where user is saying they are only getting 2Mbps during the day and Enta have replied saying business packages get priority. I wouldn't be happy forking out for a 12 month FTTC contract if my throughput is the same during the day as it is now!

Do Enta's FTTC lines still end up at the current WBC nodes?

Hopefully someone will be able to reassure me that all is well and Enta FTTC works well.

Thanks.

Standard User freeola
(member) Thu 09-Jan-14 14:34:55
Print Post

Re: Entanet FTTC

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Ah finally, that's good news!

I'll leave it to others to give an unbiased opinion but I have FTTC at home and (touch wood) have had no problems with it, but then I'm not at home during the day.
Our connections here in the office don't sync as high as my home connection but throughput is consistent as they are business connections.
FTTC uses the same 21CN setup as ADSL2+ so the nodes are the same.

Freeola
http://freeola.com - Broadband, Hosting & Instant Sites - Support
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 15:00:14
Print Post

[re: freeola] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by freeola:
Ah finally, that's good news!
I've been annoying you for over 10 years with my basic ADSL connection - now to start with the FTTC newbie questions smile

Using the same nodes as the current 21CN setup is a bit of a worry - if I end up still on Faraday then that looks pretty busy atm.

I've read that BT have a 15Mbps minimum download speed for FTTC (not sure how that works in practice) but can't see a similar thing working on Enta's nodes.

I would also really like an unlimited usage FTTC connection. BT manage to do this for £23pm and throw in BT Sport!
I've started a thread over on the Freeola forum to discuss pricing...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User spongebobhims
(regular) Thu 09-Jan-14 15:33:38
Print Post

Hi,

I have an Entanet FTTC line, (80/20) that has been running for over 6 months with no real noticeable slow downs even tho I seem to be on one of the busiest links (Slough).

Yes admittedly I am on the Office package but even when the priority swing takes affect at 8PM and shifts all priority's to home users, my speeds never drop bellow 45Mbps and that is normally for 30 or so minutes when it happens then normal service is resumed and i'm back to the 70Mbps range.

I have placed a regrade order for the Home Unlimited so will be interested with the results of that.

I also have a Sky FTTC connection in the same property and I would say that the Entanet connection feels a lot smother to use and pings are much lower.

Entanet are steeply priced for FTTC but ultimately you get what you pay for.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Jan-14 16:05:06
Print Post

BT Infinity has a minimum "estimate requirement" of 15Mbps for orders. However they also have and always had "Total Broadband with Fibre" or whatever it is now called for lower estimates. It must be a marketing ploy to make Infinity look good in the "average user" tables.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 16:07:43
Print Post

[re: spongebobhims] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.
It will be interesting to see how "Home Unlimited" works out.

Who is your reseller and how much will that cost?

Standard User spongebobhims
(regular) Thu 09-Jan-14 16:32:09
Print Post

Yeah I'm waiting to see what it's like in comparison to the existing service.

The reseller is Vivaciti and it will be £36 I do believe, that's with the 80/20 Add-On which is something like £4.

I'm due to be switched on the 18th so I will see what happens, I have also checked and I can move to the unlimited service without penalty or extending my contact.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 17:08:05
Print Post

[re: spongebobhims] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. Not cheap.
Does the Entanet node checker still work on your FTTC line?

Please provide an update once you've switched to see how things are during the day etc.

CAREFUL frown
I just Google'd Vivaciti to look at their products and got redirected to some dodgy sites. Tried a couple of browsers with same results.
Looks like they've been compromised like this before:
http://vivaciti.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-1124.html
They are regular visitors here so will hopefully see this...

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Jan-14 17:20:05
Print Post

http://www.vivaciti.net/

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 17:32:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

? Thanks RobertoS - I'm aware of their address tongue
Just thought I would give a 'heads up' that they appear to have been compromised again.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to