General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mayuki
(newbie) Wed 27-Oct-10 19:22:22
Print Post

Milton Keynes /rolleyes

[link to this post]

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could advise where to find info id appreciate it, I have looked but can find specific info.

Lots of news today about BTs FTTP service starting today in Milton Keynes,

Any info anyone in the know can give regarding todays news and coverage and how BTopenreach define Milton Keynes ~Do they mean Milton Keynes as in the whole of Milton Keynes, or just the 30% of the citys homes on the one exchange? Bradwell Abbey.

Ive been told/read that FTTP will only be running to lines from Bradwell Abbey exchange however Bradwell Abbey only serves a small part of Milton Keynes (30% ish according to samknows)

Two other exchanges serve the core estates along with Bradwell Abbey, then 3 more exchanges serving the outer part of the "town".

This is the thing I don't understand, BT PR garb kept saying Milton Keynes, so can we expect FTTP from the other exchanges in Milton Keynes too? surly they would have been more specific to the exchange if it was only 30% of the city?

Im on Wolverton exchange, due to upgrade to FTTC in December this year, but no work has been taken place by either BT or contractors in my estate, im very concerned, a friend 2 mins walk down the road on another estate is on Bradwell Abbey exchange, and I fear hes going to get 100mb and ill be left with my super 1.7mb and pray my cabinet is gets fttc onday, but as im geting nothing on the checker and no work has taken place I wont hold my breath.

Info would be very appreciated.

Edited by Mayuki (Wed 27-Oct-10 19:24:54)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Oct-10 20:14:55
Print Post

Re: Milton Keynes /rolleyes

[re: Mayuki] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mayuki:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could advise where to find info id appreciate it, I have looked but can find specific info.

Lots of news today about BTs FTTP service starting today in Milton Keynes,

Any info anyone in the know can give regarding todays news and coverage and how BTopenreach define Milton Keynes ~Do they mean Milton Keynes as in the whole of Milton Keynes, or just the 30% of the citys homes on the one exchange? Bradwell Abbey.

Ive been told/read that FTTP will only be running to lines from Bradwell Abbey exchange however Bradwell Abbey only serves a small part of Milton Keynes (30% ish according to samknows)

Two other exchanges serve the core estates along with Bradwell Abbey, then 3 more exchanges serving the outer part of the "town".

This is the thing I don't understand, BT PR garb kept saying Milton Keynes, so can we expect FTTP from the other exchanges in Milton Keynes too? surly they would have been more specific to the exchange if it was only 30% of the city?

Im on Wolverton exchange, due to upgrade to FTTC in December this year, but no work has been taken place by either BT or contractors in my estate, im very concerned, a friend 2 mins walk down the road on another estate is on Bradwell Abbey exchange, and I fear hes going to get 100mb and ill be left with my super 1.7mb and pray my cabinet is gets fttc onday, but as im geting nothing on the checker and no work has taken place I wont hold my breath.

Info would be very appreciated.

FTTP = thousands of MK residents connected to Bradwell Abbey Exchange - but not all of them due to blocked and collapsed ducts in the ground.
FTTC = most other surrounding exchanges ... eventually.

Obviously FTTP is future-proofed, more reliable and faster as it has no old BT copper cables between the street and the home - unlike FTTC.

If anyone wants to "be first" with FTTP now before it goes live commercially next summer.. then choose one of the following....

Andrews & Arnold (AAISP)BT (from October 2010, no pre-registration possible)
Plusnet
Zen
Zen
SkySky
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Oct-10 20:16:17
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

should have said March 2011 - not summer!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mayuki
(newbie) Wed 27-Oct-10 20:45:09
Print Post

Thanks for your imput,

I understand what you mean, but my question is still unanswerd

How do BTopenreach define mK?
By the actual town, or one exchange.

I ask because I doubt many would be happy is virgin said that there 100mb service is available to everyone country wide, when we know all it isnt.

There would be uproar.

And as BTO have today said the city rather than the small area the exchange serves, im left wondering have they made a change and the city will be FTTP or will it just be Bradwell Abbey and saying Milton Keynes sounds better for PR and giving false hope.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Oct-10 22:30:35
Print Post

Point us at the actual PR you are referring to?

Bradwell Abbey area is centre of a FTTP trial, at no time has BT ever said the whole of MK will get FTTP.

Roll-out and product launch starts in 2011, so until checkers update you won't know, though likely to spot the work as the engineers will be spending a lot of time in each area to get the fibre tubes pulled through.

All too often its the news outlet that twists things slightly, then when copied by a few places you end up with confusion.

If there was firm news on FTTP roll-out areas it would be in our news, in the same way as we cover the FTTC announcements.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Mayuki
(newbie) Thu 28-Oct-10 18:47:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply,

As suggested I do check this site often praying for info.

I think your right, time the news gets recycled down the channels its "changed" hence why im here, hoping someone in the know may shed some light.

Lots of on-line media outlets have focused on the FTTP part, wow etc not the intended area just "Trials in Milton Keynes"

The local TV news (both BBC and ITV) said will be available "In Milton Keynes" A BTO guy on ITV said "rolling out to Milton Keynes"

And the two local papers out today say "In the Bradwell Abbey area"

Heres the thing, There is no exchange in the Bradwell Abbey estate, What BT call the Bradwell Abbey exchange is 5 miles away from the Bradwell Abbey estate in fishermead and it dont even serve Bradwell Abby estate.

Wolverton exchange serves Bradwell Abbey estate, and my estate Stantonbury, half of the estate is served by Wolverton exchange, and half served by Bradwell Abbey

Do you see the confusion? Maybe im clutching at straws, looking for hope were there is none. but as ive said, im quite concerned That I maybe left on this "connection" (if you can even call it that anymore) when literally a stones throw away, people on the same estate as me will be getting Fiber.

If that's how it is so be it, but it will be extremely frustrating, after all running a fiber cable down the road using the existing MKCable (owned by BT) or phone ducts couldn't cost much more than a standard install?

I cant find any info on my cabinet being enabled for FTTC either, I wasn't bothered assuming it meant FTTP, and now im not sure of either.

So some clarification on what's going on would be appreciated.
Standard User Kam
(newbie) Tue 02-Nov-10 23:22:19
Print Post

I'm also on the Wolverton exchange in MK, and from what I have previously read haven't been at all hopeful about getting FTTP anytime soon. However, over the last couple of weeks I have seen a lot of BT Openreach activity in Bancroft which has led me to hope that we might at least be getting FTTC.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Dec-10 12:09:05
Print Post

[re: Kam] [link to this post]

Not sure if this helps:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMWV

According to this the Wolverton exhange will be getting FTTC on 31/12/10, just hopes this means I can get faster than the 2.5Mb I currently get!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Jan-11 16:55:30
Print Post

Update.

If you go to the BT Infinity site and enter your postcode etc they'll let you know whats available and when.

BT are quoting me speeds of 32Mb Dn & 8Mb Up to start on 31/3/2011.
Standard User einsteinradio
(learned) Fri 11-Feb-11 14:26:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Update.

If you go to the BT Infinity site and enter your postcode etc they'll let you know whats available and when.

BT are quoting me speeds of 32Mb Dn & 8Mb Up to start on 31/3/2011.

Well count yourself lucky!

Paul
Broughton Chase
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to