General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User balami
(committed) Thu 28-Oct-10 18:31:40
Print Post

FTTC & Backup Power

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in a small village just outside St Ives which is due to see FTTC later this year. All my IT Kit is on UPS(s), so I can happily work for up to 2 hours in the event of a power outage, Recently we have had several outages of 50 - 90 minutes and my ADSL connection remains connected.

What happens after a move to FTTC, do BT install battery backup in each cabinet? I have heard that some cabs are powered from the echange, but these cabs will be between 2-4 miles from the exchange making this unlikely.

Clearly a move to FTTC will see me with a 10 fold increase in both upload and download over what I currently get on ADSL2+, but if I lose my connection everytime the power goes off, that may be a problem.

Hopefully someone has some experience of this.

Thanks,

Mark.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Thu 28-Oct-10 21:10:41
Print Post

Re: FTTC & Backup Power

[re: balami] [link to this post]

The new cabinets are mains powered, linked to the mains directly and not powered from the exchange like the existing ones. They have batteries for backup, not sure how long this lasts though in the event of an outage.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Oct-10 21:16:51
Print Post

If uptime during power cuts is that important then retain a second line with exchange powered ADSL on it

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyboygsi
(newbie) Fri 29-Oct-10 17:08:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

how often does the power go off.

fully loaded 3-4 hours is expected
partially loaded stands at 6-12
with no load before fully commissioned they lasted a couple of days

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
ISP Representative drefsab
(isp) Fri 29-Oct-10 22:41:43
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

I would have expected you to loose the connect because as people have already stated the cabs are powered by the mains without generator backup. I would think the battery back up (I wasn't 100% sure if there was any) would be meant for short loss of power, any extended outages would mean a loss of service, those cab's use a lot of power more than most UPS systems can carry for long periods.

Aaron Eldridge
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Oct-10 23:06:38
Print Post

[re: drefsab] [link to this post]

Batteries are in the cabinets. They wouldn't put them in there for the fun of it. So one could assume that battery backup will power the kit for average +x power outages.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(regular) Sat 30-Oct-10 13:21:07
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
Batteries are in the cabinets. They wouldn't put them in there for the fun of it. So one could assume that battery backup will power the kit for average +x power outages.

The batteries will need to be properly and regularly maintained. They'll be cooked to death during the summer, and frozen solid in winter.
Standard User balami
(committed) Sat 30-Oct-10 13:22:09
Print Post

[re: drefsab] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the comments. I think it is safe to assume that there will be some sort of continuity of service for a typical power outage.

Aaron, can you confirm that a zen account that is configured for FTTC will still logon to a 21CN connection for backup purposes.
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Sat 30-Oct-10 13:36:21
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

I designed a unit to charge sealed lead-acid batteries from a lamp-post during the night to maintain 24 hour power to a traffic monitoring site during the day.

No maintenance needed so far and over 6 years in service.

BTW, from the pictures I've seen of the cabinet (although fairly difficult to interpret), I cannot see any batteries, but perhaps it's my age and eyesight that's to blame.

Carry on charging...

smile No Meerkats were harmed in the preparation of this post, more's the pity !
ISP Representative drefsab
(isp) Tue 02-Nov-10 12:47:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by balami:
Thanks for all the comments. I think it is safe to assume that there will be some sort of continuity of service for a typical power outage.

Aaron, can you confirm that a zen account that is configured for FTTC will still logon to a 21CN connection for backup purposes.

It should work provided the line you log onto is a 21cn line, you would of course then be limited to the sync rate/bras of that line but you would at least be able to have your IP's in service.

Aaron Eldridge
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to