General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User laughingjohn
(newbie) Fri 26-Nov-10 16:18:42
Print Post

BT Infinity Actual Speed Survey

[link to this post]

I thought it might be handy to get an idea of the real world speeds BT Infinity users are getting. I've set up a survey for this purpose. I tried posting a link on the BT forums but they kicked it off!!!

The rules are:

* Do not take the survey unless you have BT Infinity.
* Only use results from the BT Speed tester for consistency.
* Only post results obtained 10 or more days after you had BT Infinity installed. Line speed can fluctuate in the first 10 days.
* Do not post results if you think you are having a technical issue that can (or should) be resolved.
* If possible also post your results here.

To take the survey go here: http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyI...

Edited by laughingjohn (Fri 26-Nov-10 16:37:46)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 26-Nov-10 17:00:18
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Actual Speed Survey

[re: laughingjohn] [link to this post]

BT Broadband section here perhaps ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Croftie
(newbie) Fri 26-Nov-10 22:02:48
Print Post

That's a good idea, accept BT's checker is at best 3-4 Mbps below my actual download throughput.

Edited by Croftie (Fri 26-Nov-10 22:03:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User laughingjohn
(newbie) Mon 29-Nov-10 19:16:31
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

I agree it's not scientific in any sense but I thought it might be handy to give people a rough idea of what to expect. Unfortunately I can't see BT sharing any information, assuming they have anything more accurate.

So far (only 9 results posted, two of which are from me):

Average IP Profile: 33371.33

Downloads

Average : 24796.33
Max : 38717
Min: 20000

Uploads

Average for option 1: 1593
Average for option 2: 7306

I live a long way from the local Exchange, but not very far from the cabinet. On ADSL I used to get around 1.5Mbps and now get around 25 Mbps, which is a brilliant improvement.

However 25Mbps is still quite a long way from 40Mbps and I wondered whether I was alone in that. I felt some people may be disappointed if they moved to infinity having already had a good ADSL2 connection (unlike myself).
Standard User mljhilton
(learned) Thu 06-Jan-11 21:17:26
Print Post

Like you, I was getting about 1.5Mb download before, but now getting about 35Mb and about 8Mb upload. Quite a difference.

Interestingly, the TBB speed tester tells a different story - or rather, 2 different stories:

Java program: DL = 14Mb, UL = 3.7Mb
Flash program: DL = 28.3Mb, UL = 8.1Mb

This suggests that at these speeds, the Flash program is more accurate.

The other interesting point is that I notice no difference when browsing and emailing; it's only when you're actually downloading or uploading a file that you notice any change from before. I suppose you have to decide whether the extra expense is merited. Maybe if I had a faster PC it would make a difference. When I get a new one (whenever that may be) I'll find out.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 07-Jan-11 15:32:16
Print Post

[re: mljhilton] [link to this post]

I was getting 37/8.5 for the first six weeks now its dropped to 24/8,but I think there may be a few problems locally and my line seems noisier than normal.
Standard User D_an_W
(member) Sat 08-Jan-11 17:53:50
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Ours was installed on 2nd December, It's with Aquiss but would that make a difference?

IP Profile : 38717 / 10000
Speed : 35410 / 8009

My usenet download sits at 40.3mbps, never actually tested a real world upload speed though...

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 18:54:09
Print Post

[re: D_an_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by D_an_W:
Ours was installed on 2nd December, It's with Aquiss but would that make a difference?
It could make a difference to downlaod speed, but not to connection speed.
IP Profile : 38717 / 10000
Speed : 35410 / 8009

My usenet download sits at 40.3mbps, never actually tested a real world upload speed though...
Unlikely usenet download speed. I would guess you have Kaspersky or Avira Internet Security.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User D_an_W
(member) Sat 08-Jan-11 19:25:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't use either of those.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Jan-11 19:51:52
Print Post

[re: D_an_W] [link to this post]

Well something isn't right. I suggested you had one of those as they are well-known for causing Ookla-based testers to over-read.

As it is, what you posted earlier about over 40Mbps download from Usenet is theoretically impossible, as your speed is limited by the IP Profile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to