General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User strolls
(newbie) Sat 27-Nov-10 00:31:45
Print Post

FTTP trial - Bradwell Abbey, Milton Keynes - work completed?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

There were a couple of posts about this fibre all-the-way-to the premises (FTTP) trial about a month ago:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/3918409-any-w...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3920413-re-...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3920474-re-...

There has been talk in the news about this for a year or two (I assume BT have been putting out press releases) and I understood Bradwell Abbey to be only the second location at which BT are trying FTTP (they already did somewhere in Kent??), but I gathered that the work only started recently - perhaps only in the last couple of months.

So about 3 weeks ago I contacted one of the ISPs who are involved in the trial and they told me that fibre isn't available to my flat yet, but to keep in touch and email them once a week because they were getting availability updates from BT every Thursday. The next week when I emailed them, they replied that "BT have done all the work in Milton Keynes for FTTP", that there would be no further updates and to consider their other services!

I'm a little confused by this, as it would seem to be a very limited trial if, after less than a month, they've stopped laying fibre and are no longer extending their coverage! I live in the City Centre, only about 2 miles from the exchange, so would have hoped my prospects for FTTP would have been quite good.

I have spoken to another ISP in the same time period and they told me that one of their techs also lives on the Bradwell Exchange and was receiving FTTP at home, on this trial, but could tell me little more.

So does anyone know anything about this, please?

Did this ISP perhaps just tell me to go away because I was being annoying? I didn't think I was being so! I'm actually not that fussed about faster speeds, but it would be nice - my chief concern is that I'm thinking of changing ISP within the next few months, and I don't want to get tied into a contract with one ISP, only to find that another is offering a much faster service in the area. It'd just be nice to know what's going on! (although I'll bet that's what all the faster broadband naggers say!)

My experience with BT's broadband trials was that I was on the "wires only" trial several (7 or 8??) years ago, and I was subsequently aware of one for ADSL2 or 2+. So I guess I may be kinda acting as if all BT's broadband trials naturally roll out into full-scale service - perhaps that may not be expected to be the case in this instance?

Thanks in advance for any inside info,

Stroller.

EDIT: I've done some more trawling of the net since posting and it seems like Dave Tomlinson at Plus.Net has a fairly decent idea of the geography of the FTTP trial. He's a poster in one of the other threads here that I referenced earlier, so <animated smiley avatar waving> "hi, Dave, I hope you can advise me!"

Edited by strolls (Sat 27-Nov-10 01:12:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Nov-10 10:06:22
Print Post

Re: FTTP trial - Bradwell Abbey, Milton Keynes - work comple

[re: strolls] [link to this post]

Maybe what is meant is that the required number of triallists are now on board?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User bruce007
(learned) Mon 29-Nov-10 12:35:47
Print Post

The FTTP build-out in MK has been going on for a number of month, although in recent weeks there has been very little news on new area's going live, and OpenReach working on FTTP.

Although if you are in a covered area, you can still get onto the FTTP trial, but only if you line is covered - check one of these line checkers: BT.com or Trefor.net. You can get a list of the estates that have FTTP coverage on this site Super-fast broadband is coming to MK

A few things have become apparent over the course of the trial:
- the trial will only cover a limited number of estates initially (and not even all houses in those estates).
- the trial def does not include FTTP to apartments/flats as this is better suited to FTTC
- not all estates served by Bradwell Abbey exchange will get FTTP,
- it's not clear if/when FTTC will be installed for those who don't get FTTP.

So I would say that if you have not seen any OpenReach team laying Fibre in your estate, you are quite probably NOT in the FTTP trial area, and also probably not served by one of the surrounding exchanges that is due to get FTTC on (or prob after) 30-Dec-2010.

When OR/BT started the trial, there was a very short list of estates included (about 3-5 depending who you believe), but they said more would be added as the trial progressed. So the question: are the 13 estates now receiving FTTP the already extended list? If these 13 were only the intended initial coverage, then they may do more estates after they have completed the FTTC work. Otherwise, they have covered as many as they intend to for the trial and the rest of us have to wait for the trial to conclude (Mar-Jun 2011 depending who you believe) to see what we will get.

Per the latest exchange coverage list from OpenReach there is no mention of FTTC or even a FTTP live date for Bradwell Abbey, so who knows. But if you want to help let BT know we want FTTx, vote on the BT Race-to-infinity site. This may help to secure FTTC for Bradwell Abbey after the FTTP trial finishes.

And in closing, on the MK Council website above they list an email address for queries, and although they won't give you much more info that you can find on this forum (and PlusNet), they have said they they use the queries to gauge demand. So def email them if you want FTTx.

Bruce
Broughton Gate
get the news first at MK Broadband Action Group

Edited by bruce007 (Mon 29-Nov-10 12:42:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User strolls
(newbie) Mon 29-Nov-10 14:25:38
Print Post

[re: bruce007] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, Bruce.

The City Centre isn't mentioned on the council's site, so I've emailed them.

It seems kinda odd that Fishermead & Oldbrook themselves have not been given coverage - that makes sense on its own, since they're so close to the exchange - but that Campbell Park has been.

If Campbell Park has received FTTP, then that's probably people 200 yards from me!
Standard User bruce007
(learned) Mon 29-Nov-10 16:30:12
Print Post

Some of the choices for which area's got FTTP escape us all. I am in Broughton, and in a new build with brand new ducts etc (so dead easy install), and they left us out. (I heard OR lost the bid to cable FTTP in Brooklands - so maybe they are just sticking one to the new build developers, as this is clearly a nice selling point)

But to be fair, this is a test of "FTTP to Brownfields": Maybe they were really only tring to test what it would be like to install FTTP to real brownfield properties. New builds are excluded, as they have been designed with this tech in mind, so nothing to test, just roll out when they are ready. Apartments are excluded, as they know they can't get the fibre all they way to each unit, so they just do FTTC when they are ready.

But sign up to MKBAG to get regular info and keep pestering ISP's, MP's and Council (and get your neighbors to do the same). That is the best way to keep up the interest from consumers and providers.

Bruce
Broughton Gate

Edited by bruce007 (Mon 29-Nov-10 16:56:13)

Standard User bruce007
(learned) Wed 01-Dec-10 10:35:10
Print Post

In case you missed the chatter on MKBAG, there has been some further information on the Trial, specifically on Broughton and Broughton Gate (the new build section of Broughton):

BT/OR had originally planned on covering 13,500 properties in Bradwell Abbey [with FTTP], but due to problems with laying Fibre, have had to reduce this to around 10,500. BT have now completed the rollout in Bradwell Abbey however they said they will revisit the area [Broughton Gate] at some point to see if they can rollout FTTC, although this is unlikely to be before 2012

Broughton had been included in the original phase of the trial roll-out. However, this has changed and Openreach have indicated that Broughton, NOT Broughton Gate, would be considered to be part of the planning for the following programme of deployment.

Broughton (old) should get FTTP either as part of the extension of the trial area, or an additional area once the trial is complete.

Broughton Gate is stuck with ADSL for a while, while Middleton, Brooklands and eventually (old) Broughton get FTTP.

Talk about the poor neighbor... And I wander where the 'digital' divide will be, especially for those on or near Milton Road, as you could be Broughton Gate but just over the road from Broughton (old).

For for those equally unlucky people outside the FTTP areas, 2012 is looking like the target date. So make sure you get onto your MP's, MK Council, BT Race-to-infinity etc to see if we can convince them otherwise.

Bruce
Broughton Gate

Edited by bruce007 (Wed 01-Dec-10 10:44:05)

Standard User bruce007
(learned) Thu 10-Feb-11 20:49:43
Print Post

Re: FTTP trial - Bradwell Abbey, Milton Keynes, Broughton

Some recent activity in Broughton...

BT Openreach vans all over Broughton today. The guys were working at the enterance between Tongwell street and Milton Road. Saw the big van with compressor so stopped and had a chat with the guys. They confirmed installation of fibre for FTTP. Unfortunately they didn't know anything about FTTC or exact location of where the fibre will run to. One of the guys said all of Broughton will have it within a couple of months.

The real question is their definition of Broughton. And I hope they are not doing what we last heard, FTTP in old Broughton and nothing for new build area till 2012. So very keen to see if they do any works on Watercress Way, the main road serving the new build area.

Interestingly, one person in Monkston Park in a flat, who was booked to get FTTP from Plusnet, was told by the engineer on install day they won't to flats AND that the FTTP to flats would not be trialled till JULY. That is way better that FTTC in 2012. Wander if they use FTTB (building)?

So after BT fibre crew turned up and the engineers flat comment, I am hoping they have a better plan for our area now

Bruce
Broughton Gate
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Thu 10-Feb-11 20:59:00
Print Post

you wont be seeing fttp on internally fed flats anytime soon i would not think.

though i may be wrong

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User bruce007
(learned) Thu 10-Feb-11 23:33:55
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andyboygsi:
you wont be seeing fttp on internally fed flats anytime soon i would not think.
I think it was pretty clear that flats were better suited to FTTC, and that was partly confirmed by BT/OR indicating (indirectly) that the newbuild area would get FTTC eventually. But I think mixing FTTC and FTTP is less than ideal, and maybe FTTB is the better solution to fibre flats that are in the same DP as FTTP.

It's all going to be down to scale.
A few flats over shops is a minor issue for FTTP install.
A large block with limited ducting access, FTTC no question.
Make that a block of 20 apartments in the same road as detached houses, and the solution is not clear.

But that should be the point of the trial, try and see what works.

Bruce
Broughton Gate
Standard User einsteinradio
(learned) Fri 11-Feb-11 14:21:40
Print Post

I've read those messages too about the flocking of openreach vans on Watercress Way...and if they could be re-directed to Countess Way!

Paul
Broughton Chase
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to