General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andew
(regular) Wed 01-Dec-10 20:01:13
Print Post

FTTC Cornwall - Pilot Exchange

[link to this post]

Hi All

I believe i'm connected to a cabinet on my exchange which i believe is due to be enabled soon. Unfortuately I cant get much info from the btwholesale website. If I try checking my line it doesnt mention anything about fttc. (Just 2 meg adsl ), but if i type in my postcode, it says 'Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 7.4 to 32.6 Mbps and upstream line speed between 1.1 to 7.8 Mbps.'

Does anyone know how to get a date for when its enabled, I have found a date of end of march, but I cant believe BT are putting the cabinet in nearly 4 months before that date.
The date of the end of march has been been mentioned online for the first 8 exchanges.
The exchange is Threewaters (WWTHRE).
Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 15:32:57
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cornwall - Pilot Exchange

[re: andew] [link to this post]

Managed to get a picture of the cabinet, appears to be smaller than cabinets used in other areas

existing cab

fttc cab in the TR4 8 area

There are 5 of these in the surrounding area, all next to existing cabs.

Updated to show the existing cab as well

Edited by andew (Thu 02-Dec-10 16:02:51)

Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 02-Dec-10 15:36:29
Print Post

It does not look like the FTTC Cabs that have been installed in other areas but maybe a friendly Engineer can clarify what it is!!

BTBroadband
DSL Max

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 15:43:22
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Already spoken to an engineer, he did confirm it was a fttc cab
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Dec-10 16:16:42
Print Post

All depends on the number of lines they plan to serve

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 16:34:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

According to samknows the exchange only has 1157 lines on it in total. Doesnt surprise me that they are using smaller cabinets.
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 02-Dec-10 17:45:27
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nelix01:
It does not look like the FTTC Cabs that have been installed in other areas but maybe a friendly Engineer can clarify what it is!!

i would agree with that ....it defo looks smaller than the FTTC cabs doing the rounds....

pic of a typical FTTC cab http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w141/Zoejoe_bucke...

-----------------------------------------------------
virgin media B/B .xxl....50Mbps....... T/V .xl......v+ hd .......... L/L .talk unlimited
http://www.pingtest.net/result/23550824.png

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by djfunkdup (Thu 02-Dec-10 17:46:33)

Standard User neilxyz
(newbie) Thu 02-Dec-10 21:12:24
Print Post

According to Openreach the exchange is due to be fftc enabled from March 2011.
Link

This short audio interview provides a bit of useful info about the 8 pilot areas being fttc enabled.
Link
Standard User neilxyz
(newbie) Thu 02-Dec-10 21:26:41
Print Post

Various planning 'prior notification' applications in for fibre optic cabinets in the Three Waters exchange area... one matching your postcode given.

--------
Telecommunications prior notification for proposed new fibre optic modular cabinet
18 Chacewater Hill Chacewater Truro Cornwall TR4 8QB
Ref. No: PA10/05969 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required

Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 for the installation of a new fibre optic modular cabinet
Grass Verge West Of 3 Carneggy Greenbottom Cornwall
Ref. No: PA10/05883 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required

Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 for the installation of a new fibre optic modular cabinet
Land Near Little Retreat Blackwater Cornwall
Ref. No: PA10/05865 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required

Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 for installation of a new fibre optic modular cabinet
Grass Verge South Of Lyndon House East Hill Blackwater Cornwall
Ref. No: PA10/05890 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required

Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 for proposed fibre optic modular cabinet
Road From Wheal Sperris Villa To Junction North Of Hugus Farm Hugus Truro Cornwall
Ref. No: PA10/05888 | Received: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Validated: Fri 17 Sep 2010 | Status: Prior approval not required
Standard User andew
(regular) Thu 02-Dec-10 21:47:50
Print Post

[re: neilxyz] [link to this post]

The cabinets installed in all of those five locations are identical to the picture i posted earlier.

I'm hoping its before the end of march ..... already got a draytek 2920n
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to