General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JonathanCassar
(regular) Mon 13-Dec-10 17:01:34
Print Post

What are my options?

[link to this post]

Hi,
My exchange (poplar) is due to be upgraded to FTTC at year end.
However im on an EO line so wont be able to get it frown

The only option I considered is to ask a local neighbour (that can get it) if they mind an additional line being installed on my behalf with me paying costs - I'm not sure what practical or legal issues this will raise (as I wouldnt have physical access to the router) - I am in range of their wifi so technically this approach would work)

I can wait in hope that FTTP isnt too far away for EO lines - I'm just worried BT may never bother frown

Any other thoughts?

I'm surprised to be on an EO line as am some distance from the exchange and have a noisy line (see stats):

=>adsl info
Modemstate : up
Operation Mode : G.992.5 Annex A
Channel Mode : interleaved
Number of resets : 1

Vendor Local Remote
Vendor : TMMB
VendorSpecific : 0000 0000
StandardRevisionNr : 00 00

Downstream Upstream
Margin [dB] : 18.5 15.5
Attenuation [dB] : 57.0 30.5
OutputPower [dBm] : 16.0 12.0

Intrinsic/Actual Bandwidth %
Upstream : 99
Downstream : 79

Available Bandwidth Cells/s Kbit/s
Downstream : 4523 1918
Upstream : 1757 745

Transfer statistics
Errors
Received FEC : 3697
Received CRC : 18
Received HEC : 11
Transmitted FEC : 0
Transmitted CRC : 33499
Transmitted HEC : 12318

Near end failures since reset
Loss of frame: 0 failures
Loss of signal: 0 failures
Loss of power: 0 failures
Errored seconds: 10 seconds
Near end failures last 15 minutes
Loss of frame: 0 seconds
Loss of signal: 0 seconds
Loss of power: 0 seconds
Errored seconds: 0 seconds
Near end failures current day
Errored seconds: 10 seconds
Near end failures previous day
Errored seconds: 0 seconds

Jonathan Cassar

I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle! 'Lister Red Dwarf'
(regular) Tue 14-Dec-10 16:54:43
Print Post

Re: What are my options?

[re: JonathanCassar] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JonathanCassar:
Any other thoughts?

I had a thought myself I could get a BT wifi subscription or a Fon router?

How much bandwidth is dedicated to Fon though? ie would I get better speed than I do now assuming they are on infinity?

Jonathan Cassar

I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle! 'Lister Red Dwarf'
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Dec-10 23:10:54
Print Post

How much bandwidth is dedicated to Fon though? ie would I get better speed than I do now assuming they are on infinity?

I thought they were limited to 512kbps, really only useful for smartphone users with poor 3G signal (generally 3G should be 384kbps and 3G+/HSPA should be 3meg+... O2 around here get away with 172kbps as 3G sadly).

James - be* pro, Sync DL: 17276kbps / UL:1317kbps at 24.5db on TG585v7 and 2820vn - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Mon 17-Jan-11 10:34:50
Print Post

The only option I considered is to ask a local neighbour (that can get it) if they mind an additional line being installed on my behalf with me paying costs - I'm not sure what practical or legal issues this will raise (as I wouldnt have physical access to the router) - I am in range of their wifi so technically this approach would work)

Has anyone done this before?

I cant see any other options in the short to medium term.
Fon etc doesnt seem like it will be any quicker than I have now..

Jonathan Cassar

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Jan-11 11:39:30
Print Post

What makes you think the line is particularly noisy, and what are the stats like immediately before and after a daytime re-sync?

You can also have a second line yourself and bond or load-balance the two if you are lucky. Not a subject I know much about though.

Which ISP are you with, and what does a BT Performance Test give you? Full results as far as the end of the upstream figures please, or the error message if it doesn't run.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 17-Jan-11 11:40:12)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 17-Jan-11 12:27:47
Print Post

others have done connection sharing via wifi - how far is it ?

You could write a single page agreement setting out who will pay for what and who will be responsible for what. You should cover what happens if one of you moves out. Get both parties to sign and date it with witnesses. Define who is legally responsibility for security and use of the connection ie what if some illicit activity were associated with the IP assigned to the connection.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
  Print Thread

Jump to