General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Mon 13-Dec-10 22:26:52
Print Post

Bagshot confusion

[link to this post]

Hello,
My exchange is Bagshot. So I was quite excited when BT first advertised Infinity and I saw that Bagshot was in the second wave of installations... (Sept2010)

They have now pushed this back but checkers say that it is activated, but I still can't get it...

Worse than that, when I try and ask a question via the BT web page I get a 404 error everytime til I get bored and give up...

Does anyone know the truth about Bagshot exchange and where the cabinets are around here (to work out how far I am away!)

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.2
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-Dec-10 22:53:41
Print Post

Re: Bagshot confusion

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

What does this checker say?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Tue 14-Dec-10 13:05:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does this checker say?

For Telephone Number 01276 xxxxxx on Exchange BAGSHOT

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 6Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 4Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 3Mbps and 5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 13.4Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.2Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

But I keep getting emails from BT to say I can't get it!!!

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Dec-10 13:57:41
Print Post

That means your cabinet is definitely enabled.

BT (Retail) seem to have a Marketing Plan and do not always make Infinity available as soon as the cabinet/exchange is enabled.

Several people have reported being able to sign up for better ISPs when BT wouldn't let them have it. The trouble is they are all more expensive, and it doesn't mean you would find the same.

I have a list here of the ones I know supply Openreach FTTC, if you want to check further.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 14-Dec-10 14:03:22)

Standard User gdad62
(newbie) Thu 13-Jan-11 16:19:04
Print Post

Just to let you know, I am also connected to the Bagshot exchange and I move across to BT Infinity tomorrow smile

Perhaps you could try this checker from the BT Infinity site:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

(The checker is over on the right hand side)
Standard User WWWombat
(newbie) Fri 14-Jan-11 00:44:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by nonymouse:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 13.4Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.2Mbps.

But I keep getting emails from BT to say I can't get it!!!

BT applied a restriction, until recently, that they wouldn't provision FTTC unless they could get a minimum speed of 15Mbps. It could be that the refusals you have received are because of this!

I think their limit is now 5Mbps.

BTW - I'm down the road on the Brookwood exchange. This has just been enabled, and neighbouring cabinets have been enabled. However, my cabinet isn't quite there yet and the checker for my phone number reports:
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th March 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 30.1Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.2Mbps.

The insertion of the first sentence is the part that tells me I will be able to get FTTC, but that it isn't live yet, and you only get this sentence if you search using your phone number, and not the postcode or address. As you don't have this sentence then it really does mean you can get FTTC *provided you ran the checker with your phone number*.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 22-Jan-11 23:12:49
Print Post

Central Bagshot seems to be FTTC in December. But still all cabinets are not enabled. I have recently seen some more fibre being laid on the A30 so I guess it is ongoing. You will see it when you have a large green cabinet (like the one at the bagshot bus stop) next to your normal connection cabinet. There is no guarantee that all the cabinets will be activated to FTTC, but I hope they are.
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Wed 13-Apr-11 20:08:04
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Just checked again....

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 20th April 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 13.4Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.2Mbps

That's next week.... smile smile smile

But not at speeds I was hoping for frown

A

Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Apr-11 20:24:31
Print Post

Not surprisingly, the same estimate as in your previous post. But with an estimate below 15Mbps you cannot order BT Infinity.

With 13.4Mbps estimate I expect several of the other FTTC suppliers would accept you on the "up to 40Mbps" product, and the speed you would get would almost certainly be well over 15Mbps.

Or some of them also sell the 5-15Mbps product.

BT have Broadband Option 3 with Fibre, but that seems to be capped at 15Mbps. A shame if your line could actually get 20Mbps. Several people are on that, and this is the latest thread about it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to