General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nelix01
(member) Wed 15-Dec-10 17:07:06
Print Post

Re: FTTC and Poweline Adaptors

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

just have 1 pc. The Hub is connected to 1 adaptor and the pc to the other.

BTBroadband
DSL Max
Standard User danielowenuk
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Dec-10 17:27:04
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Then your test will be limited to the max speed of your internet download, no otherway to get your router (or the switch side of your router) to send a file and measure the bandwidth (that I know of).
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Dec-10 19:50:01
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Though I am sure you are all aware, powerline adaptors will perform better if direct in to a socket, rather than used through a multiport extension. Not a problem till you go to higher speeds.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-Dec-10 22:30:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Funny you should say that, as in the OP's case I was wondering whether VDSL modem >> Powerline plug wasn't the best solution anyway.

Park the BT Hub.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User tuff
(newbie) Sun 19-Dec-10 12:15:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

i had a pair of powerline adapters connected from my modem (downstairs) to my router (upstairs) and this was the cause of around 10meg of lost speed. I ended up laying some cat6 cable to the router upstairs and my speeds almost peek at the 40meg mark now.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 19-Dec-10 12:55:45
Print Post

[re: tuff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tuff:
i had a pair of powerline adapters connected from my modem (downstairs) to my router (upstairs) and this was the cause of around 10meg of lost speed. I ended up laying some cat6 cable to the router upstairs and my speeds almost peek at the 40meg mark now.
What rating Powerline adapters?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Suspishio
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 00:06:49
Print Post

My Belkin 200AVs deliver 48 Mbps on the VM 50 meg circuit and 38 Mbps on BT Infinity.

Same as direct router connexion in both cases. In other words - OK.

Suspishio

My advice is at your risk.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 10:26:12
Print Post

[re: Suspishio] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Suspishio:
My Belkin 200AVs deliver 48 Mbps on the VM 50 meg circuit and 38 Mbps on BT Infinity.

Useful info, but I asked tuff what theirs were in case they were much lower rated than 200Mbps like yours.

Standard User Suspishio
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 18:07:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Useful info, but I asked tuff what theirs were in case they were much lower rated than 200Mbps like yours.

I was really addressing the OP. I haven't found a reason to try and drive the Powerlines at speeds higher than broadband. VM 100 meg should be interesting with these Powerlines.

Suspishio

My advice is at your risk.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 00:08:45
Print Post

[re: Suspishio] [link to this post]

I was really addressing the OP.
Then you should have clicked the Reply button against the OP's post you meant to reply to. You clicked to reply to me. Read the post headers, and/or switch to Threaded Mode for a minute.
I haven't found a reason to try and drive the Powerlines at speeds higher than broadband. VM 100 meg should be interesting with these Powerlines.
There were a lot of posts a year or so ago, when these things were talked about a lot, that even on (full 8Mbps) ADSL Max anything lower than 85Mbps connectors could be dodgy. Perhaps with more than one machine connected. 20Mbps certainly didn't cut it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to