General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Tue 28-Dec-10 11:50:59
Print Post

Any mutterings from sky/be

[link to this post]

BT Infinity is now orderable for me (30.6/6.8 predicted), a step up from 4/1 (o2, actual, 3dB SNRm 4.7lm)

Has anyone heard any more news/mutterings from sky or Be/O2?

Whilst I use 160-200 pcm and could go with BT their 300 fup still worries me esp as likelihood of much more use is very high.

Talktalk appear to be the next ISP announcing a service from Feb 2011 (and my exchange is TalkTalk LLU today) so will be one to watch too, but they have a more chequred history than sky/telefonica

On that point does anyone know how comparable Telefonica/TalkTalk/sky backhaul is? and how quick to upgrade?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 28-Dec-10 17:20:54
Print Post

Re: Any mutterings from sky/be

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

TT is a pile it high sell it cheap outfit. There's stuff in the public domain about their backhaul provisioning - less than 60 kbits/s per subscriber not long ago it was about 40k.

http://media.tiscali.co.uk/sites/www.talktalkgroup.c...

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Wed 29-Dec-10 09:19:40
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

That sounds low (of course) though is presumably averaged over a very large base - so without comparative figures hard to say

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Dec-10 11:09:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by planetf1:
That sounds low (of course) though is presumably averaged over a very large base - so without comparative figures hard to say

Well to put it into perspective; Eutelsat has just launched a broadband specific (i.e. its only function) satellite, a hugely expensive endeavour (much more so than just renting some lines from BT and buying in some fibre optic backbones) and that allows 35kbps per subscriber (if they all download at exactly the same time).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 29-Dec-10 12:38:21
Print Post

averaged over the number on an exchange too. It's a low GB/month product design (as is the satellite example Ade quoted)

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Dec-10 23:02:50
Print Post

Doesn't seem too far off to be honest for the product TT are selling.

To put in prospective if 100% of TT customers* were to download their 40GB worth per month you only need 130kbps per user. Most will not use their full allowance so probably only need half that.

* assumes all take the essentials service.

Problem is with design like that there is need for packet shaping as the network becomes saturated at peek times because after all internet usage isn't spread evenly throughout the day/month.

In response to the OP

Keep waiting on Be*/O2 and Sky as it can't be that long before they announce something. Just don't start a new 12~18 month contract now or you'll be kicking yourself.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 30-Dec-10 12:00:39
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

40GB worth per month you only need 130kbps per user

are you spreading it out over 24/7 ? Their average user is well below 20 GB.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Thu 30-Dec-10 13:42:32
Print Post

it will be interesting to see what speeds ISPs see as a fault.

BT Infinity appear to be treating regular < 12 Mbps throughput at any time as a fault (of course this is to their speedtest site!) -- and I guess their benefit is large number of customers making peaks probably more gradual.

TalkTalk are also being quite specific on their website
"...guarantee your speed day or night"
Guaranteed speed:
Our great value Fibre Optic Boost will guarantee your download speed at least 15Meg (up to a maximum 40Meg).

TalkTalk's *current* fup is at http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/fup.html
"all TalkTalk Customers have no restrictions on time-critical web traffic such as surfing, gaming, streaming content from applications like BBC iPlayer or using VOIP packages like Skype at any time."

Something tells me the talktalk offer is too good to be true, but I have to admit to be watching it if there's no info from sky/be.

BT is probably a "solid" relatively safe offering, but despite only using 100-200 pcm I have a beef/concern with the 300Gb limit combined with 18m contract as usage could change a lot
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 30-Dec-10 15:58:23
Print Post

TalkTalk are also being quite specific on their website

do they define "speed" ?

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Thu 30-Dec-10 16:28:27
Print Post

Of course not, so no idea what the endpoints are, protocols, averaging etc.

Can't see them being at top of my list, in all honesty I can't see me not pulling the infinity trigger sometime in next day or two as there's nothing else viable on the table, and no real indication of when there might be, be it Jan 1st or Dec 31st..

I reckon it could be late 3q before we really see Be/Sky engaged but that's a total unsustantiated guess.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to