General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rbw91
(member) Wed 29-Dec-10 14:05:39
Print Post

Fiber broadband instalation help

[link to this post]

Hi there.

Wonder if anyone can help? I have Openreach coming to install FTTC ADSL tomorrow and just want to understand what re-wiring I might need to do.

I currently have 8Mb DSL Max (synch at 3.5Mb) where I have an extension wire running from the BT point in the house upstairs to my router (about 4m RJ11 extension wiring).

Therefore, if a new faceplate etc are to be delivered then I need a VDSL modem to connect the new Ethernet router.

By the look of the manual supplied by Zen, its RJ11 to the Ethernet router?

If so, can I take the existing extension output and install the modem to upstairs and connect my router from there or will I need to run new CAT 6 from the NTTP to the upstairs router?

Any help gratefully appreciated etc etc
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Dec-10 14:22:20
Print Post

Re: Fiber broadband instalation help

[re: rbw91] [link to this post]

This sounds nit-picking, but isn't.

Your description of your wiring isn't clear to me. You actually say the BT point in the house upstairs, with a 4-metre extension cable to the router. You may mean a 4-metre extension cable running upstairs from the BT point to where you have the router.

I assume by the BT point you mean the Master socket. Or do you mean an extension socket and the Master is somewhere else completely?

The Openreach engineer will fit a socket and supply and fit a VDSL modem plugged into it, near to the Master or on a dedicated extension up to 30 metres from it. They seem to be willing to reposition the Master if asked.

From the rest of your post I guess you are with Zen, and they are supplying a (cable) router? That connects to an ethernet port on the Openreach VDSL modem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User rbw91
(member) Wed 29-Dec-10 14:29:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK thanks for the reply sorry if my initial description was unclear.

BT Master socket is located downstairs next to the front door. From there, I have RJ11 extension cable running upstairs to a bedroom where the PC is positioned. It is at the end of this RJ11 that I have the current microfilter and router.

I am asking if I can install the VDSL modem on the end of this RJ11 or whether I need to install at the master socket and run CAT 5/6 upstairs (which would be a pain in the [censored] if required.)

Otherwise its exactly as you have said. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by rbw91 (Wed 29-Dec-10 14:29:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 29-Dec-10 14:47:09
Print Post

Openreach put a modifier on the faceplate which makes VDSL signal available on the master socket downstairs. If you have a plugged RJ11 extension the engineer might accept that and put the VDSL modem upstairs on the other end of it, otherwise they would run a Cat5 "data extension kit" which does the same thing.

If you have RJ11 plugs both ends it'll be simplest.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User allylfc
(newbie) Wed 29-Dec-10 15:25:22
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The engineer will put a data extension kit from your master socket to where you want the hub and modem setup.
Standard User rbw91
(member) Wed 29-Dec-10 15:29:58
Print Post

[re: allylfc] [link to this post]

thanks for the replies all I know what to do now.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Dec-10 15:46:32
Print Post

Looks like the data extension kit is the answer, unless you fancy having the Master moved. Given tea and the right biscuits he/she might do that for you if you want as it is about the same amount of work.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User AlphaData
(regular) Wed 29-Dec-10 17:46:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT engineer who installed my FTTC was quite happy to move the master socket upstairs (replacing an old extension socket), running a new cable from the where the overhead cable joins the house. He then picked up the existing wiring to join up the old master socket downstairs.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Wed 29-Dec-10 20:01:06
Print Post

[re: AlphaData] [link to this post]

just sit back and relax. we will take care of it all for you.

tea and biscuits dependant though

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User rbw91
(member) Thu 30-Dec-10 12:31:25
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

All in, all live and all sorted.

Rewired the entire lot including the outside of the house with brand new insulated wire and relocated the master socket.

Openreach get a lot of flak, not this time. The guy who came was an absolute gentleman.

Surfing at 30Mb instead of 3.5Mb is an absolute delight!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to