General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:58:39
Print Post

ROFL!

[link to this post]

Found this on the BT Business web site about their so called "Fibre Broadband" service:

"The Fibre Hub is wireless and has the same functionality you're used to with the BT Business Hub. It has been enhanced to take the additional speed of Fibre. "

Wow! A VDSL modem/router that can cope with the multi-Gbps of traffic that can be provided over a fibre optic cable!

Just below that there is a link labelled:

"Find out more about the Fibre router"

I do wish that someone would point out to BT that their Fibre Broadband service is not (with VERY few exceptions) fibre to the home!! smile

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury Broadband; Highnam Broadand; Newent Broadband; Painswick Broadband
=======================
Symmetric Pro

Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User danielowenuk
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jan-11 16:27:00
Print Post

Re: ROFL!

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Your quarm seems to be with them calling it Fibre, but I fail to see how it's not, admittedly it's FTTC but it's still Fibre.

Virgin have been claiming the Fibre tag for a while now.

Of course there is additional speed with FTTC, can't really see anything wrong there.

Fibre router is probably stretching it a little as it doesn't route any fibre optic cables.

Where does it stop I suppose, can you call ADSL Fibre, technically it's Fibre to the Exchange.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 16:37:23
Print Post

In any case I think we can be sure it isn't a modem/router. It will be a "cable" router connecting via ethernet to the Openreach modem just like the "fibre" Home Hub.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 22:22:22
Print Post

[re: danielowenuk] [link to this post]

Virgin have been claiming the Fibre tag for a while now.

therein lies the problem, neither VM cable or BT FTTC connect to your equipment with fibre. In fact if you live within say 500m of your exchange you may have as much fibre in your ADSL connection as any faux fibre connection has.

It's called marketing - by and for idiots.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Tue 04-Jan-11 10:56:19
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

not by idiots....as it clearly works

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 04-Jan-11 13:38:44
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

their takeup is a bit poor really, though. Less than 25% of broadband customers despite being in 50% of population suggests they don't get over half their target market, despite the technological advantage of HFC.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jan-11 14:03:05
Print Post

About as fibre as virgin mate. I'm let to see a true large scale fibre deployment from a reputable ISP.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jan-11 18:40:05
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
their takeup is a bit poor really, though. Less than 25% of broadband customers despite being in 50% of population suggests they don't get over half their target market, despite the technological advantage of HFC.

The HFC part of VM's network is great. Its the IP side where they manage it to death is the problem.

If BE could use VM's HFC network to provide me a 100mbps service at £45/m, I would grab it in both hands. But I can only use VM as an ISP over the HFC - so my 15meg DSL service beats it for consistency hands down.

Maybe the other 25% know that wink

James - be* pro, Sync DL: 17276kbps / UL:1317kbps at 24.5db on TG585v7 and 2820vn - BQM
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jan-11 08:04:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
The HFC part of VM's network is great. Its the IP side where they manage it to death is the problem.
I'm not convinced about that. Coax doesn't have infinite bandwidth. There's also the upstream frequency allocation issue that makes a decent upload rate difficult. It's a manageable problem but whether that's through draconian usage restrictions or splitting coax to add more nodes (reducing the number of modems per cable) is another matter. Guess which is cheaper smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jan-11 20:42:18
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
I'm not convinced about that. Coax doesn't have infinite bandwidth. There's also the upstream frequency allocation issue that makes a decent upload rate difficult. It's a manageable problem but whether that's through draconian usage restrictions or splitting coax to add more nodes (reducing the number of modems per cable) is another matter. Guess which is cheaper smile

DOCSIS 3 really makes a dramatic difference, witness the upload upgrades that VM have been carrying out. The 100m service has a 10m upload - if you can afford £45/m and put up with the traffic management, and no static IP.

James - be* pro, Sync DL: 17276kbps / UL:1317kbps at 24.5db on TG585v7 and 2820vn - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to