General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sarin
(newbie) Mon 03-Jan-11 02:05:37
Print Post

FTTC Download speeds discriminate against the slow?!

[link to this post]

After trawling through some information on ADSL2+ from (SamKnows) I found the following : ADSL 2+ Expected Performance (Internode)

Am I right in extrapolating that if your distance from the exchange is over about 3300 metres then migrating from ADSL to ADSL2+ (FFTC) will make very little improvement?

Following on from that, given that most people who have poor speeds are on the edge of their exchange areas, does this mean that 'upgrading' to ADSL2+ will make no difference? If you are poor you stay poor...
Standard User orly
(experienced) Mon 03-Jan-11 03:17:34
Print Post

Re: FTTC Download speeds discriminate against the slow?!

[re: sarin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sarin:
After trawling through some information on ADSL2+ from (SamKnows) I found the following : ADSL 2+ Expected Performance (Internode)

Am I right in extrapolating that if your distance from the exchange is over about 3300 metres then migrating from ADSL to ADSL2+ (FFTC) will make very little improvement?

Following on from that, given that most people who have poor speeds are on the edge of their exchange areas, does this mean that 'upgrading' to ADSL2+ will make no difference? If you are poor you stay poor...

Yes this is common knowledge. At the longer distances you essentially lose any advantage. In general though, most people will see some sort of improvement in both download and upload speed but it might be slight.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 KILMAINE ROAD BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 09:15:37
Print Post

Welcome to the forums smile

However, your post Content has nothing at all to do with your post Subject, except for a misunderstanding in it.

FTTC is Fibre To The Cabinet, which is being rolled out and gives speeds of up to 40Mbps in the short term. Distance from the exchange has no effect whatsoever on the performance. It is VDSL2 over the existing copper from the cabinet to the premises, not ADSL2+, and that is the only distance that matters.

ADSL2+ is already available to huge numbers of people and provides up to 24Mbps. Distance from the exchange is affected in the way you point out.

What are you wanting to know, and what exchange are you on? The samknows URL would be best.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 03-Jan-11 09:18:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sarin
(newbie) Mon 03-Jan-11 10:11:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Apologies. Mistook adsl2+ for VDSL2 which is strange as I knew it was called that.

Have also seen the existing thread :
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/3811540-...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 10:17:49
Print Post

smile
I have a general description of how FTTC works with a page under it listing current suppliers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 03-Jan-11 10:24:40)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Jan-11 19:18:38
Print Post

to further what robertos said what is important is your distance from the cabinet. its the distance between cabinet and exchange thats discarded.

so example.

3km exchange to cabinet
0.5km cabinet to your socket

on adsl its 3.5km
on vdsl its 0.5km

Edited by Chrysalis (Mon 03-Jan-11 19:19:37)

Print Thread

Jump to