General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rarrar
(member) Mon 10-Jan-11 10:44:17
Print Post

FTTP How to get it

[link to this post]

My neighbour - a business premises has recently had FTTP installed .
The Openreach engineers pulled several fibres bundles through from the exchange and terminated them in an under-the -pavement box near my house.
Only 1 fibre was used for the FTTP to his premises

How can I investigate getting FTTP to my house using one of these "spare fibres"

BT deny the availability of fibre at my exchange or postcode and cannot explain how my neighbour got it ! Apparently BT do not provide his phone service.
As part of a larger commercial organisation is it likely that he had some sort of private link put in ?
Standard User panda
(committed) Mon 10-Jan-11 10:49:13
Print Post

Re: FTTP How to get it

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

As part of a larger commercial organisation is it likely that he had some sort of private link put in ?
More than likely.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 10-Jan-11 10:57:23
Print Post

Plenty of suppliers out there who will do it for you including BT. Installation costs will be quite high - even if you could use one of the neighbours spares and they probably paid maybe £20k installation. Rental costs ... maybe £500 per month.

So, the first thing to do is get a very well paid job!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rarrar
(member) Mon 10-Jan-11 11:05:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Will have to wait until FTTC comes along if ever it does.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Jan-11 12:02:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by rarrar:
BT ... and cannot explain how my neighbour got it ! Apparently BT do not provide his phone service.
They wouldn't tell you anyway. Data Protection Act.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User kitcat
(newbie) Mon 10-Jan-11 14:06:49
Print Post

This is not FTTP under the usual definition, so BT would say they have no FTTP at that exchange or postcode.

They will have brought an Ethernet point to point service (or other Fibre delivered product) or ISDN30 which can also be delivered by fibre.

As other have said, you can buy the same but it will cost you. You would also need a service provider to connect up to at the other end or pay for the backhaul all the way to an Internet peering site somewhere.

The normal definition of FTTP is one using a variety of PON (Passive Optical Network) technologies. These use splitters to connect up 32/64 premises into one fibre back to an exchange head end that serves up to 64 splitters, from there access to the Internet is the same as from DSL lines.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jan-11 17:22:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
and they probably paid maybe £20k installation. Rental costs ... maybe £500 per month.

Sounds about right.
We were paying around £7,500 pa rental costs on a 2Mbps (up & down) fibre connection (and it's gone up since we upgraded it to 10/10).

Rarrar; as has been mentioned, whilst this is a fibre to the premises, it is not FTTP (or at least, not the FTTP that's being trialled by BT in some favoured areas). It's the old, expensive way of getting a fibre connection (you may have heard of "leased lines", "Ethernet over fibre", etc.).
Expect it to be expensive and nowhere near the speed you might think.
Whilst anything up to around 10Gbps is available over such a connection, the prices are so high most businesses opt for much lower speeds (10Mbps is typical).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 10-Jan-11 17:28:02
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

We had some nice fibre into our offices ... which went nicely with the 400Mb transatlantic, 700Mb London to Scotland &c and our costs were phenomenal but as an OLO we could sell to others in our building at relatively low costs (for them) - and the favours were returned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User rarrar
(member) Mon 10-Jan-11 19:37:49
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the comments and they didnt really surprise me.
Pity that all those fibres lying under the pavement in front of my house will go unused for a long long time.
The exchange has no date for 21CN let alone FTTC.
Further discussion with the business provided the information that they were expecting their speeds and capacity ( for backups) to be increased by bonding of another "phone line " and were surprised when Openreach came to install fibre.
Going OT slightly the Openreach engineers said that gtting the fibre to the road had been difficult as many of the ducts had been compromised by other utilities.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 10-Jan-11 20:40:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by rarrar:
Thanks for all the comments and they didnt really surprise me.
Pity that all those fibres lying under the pavement in front of my house will go unused for a long long time.
The exchange has no date for 21CN let alone FTTC.
Further discussion with the business provided the information that they were expecting their speeds and capacity ( for backups) to be increased by bonding of another "phone line " and were surprised when Openreach came to install fibre.
Going OT slightly the Openreach engineers said that gtting the fibre to the road had been difficult as many of the ducts had been compromised by other utilities.

Which exchange is this on?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to